Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

extend a bed extender

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extend a bed extender
    Posted: 13 Apr. 2020 at 6:22pm
Since the lock down we have been busy on the farm and in the machine shop. We collectively wanted to add bed extensions to a few of our jeeps for better use. We have one original and one reproduction, neither suited our needs. So we built a few with a few extras for some locals in Columbia Ky and that sparked a sale of the extras we made for whoever may come by and want one. We now have been asked to build more for some out of town interest and will be making another batch. We built a half bed for a friend and my youngest son and that seems to have sparked an interest. These are not original! These are built to withstand use for our work (Farm) and trips. Let us know and while we are hiding from the "Corona" in the shop we will make a few more. We are located zip code 42167

24" bed with braces  $400
12" bed no braces needed $350
Shipping not included and will be added.

GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2020 at 9:56pm
I purchased one of the two foot models and my brother-in-law bought a one foot version. I went down and picked up both on Friday and got some tips on the install. Got to take a ride in Troy’s Jeep with the two foot model installed. I was impressed enough to order a one foot version while I was there. Very heavy duty, overbuilt even, but still can be installed by one person, although two does make it easier on the longer version. 

Since the long version will go on the 46 when it is done, the short version will go on the 48. Since I had a few spare minutes, I put Steve’s short bed on and personally I like the look. It was amazing how much that extra foot made in my cargo room. I was tempted to keep it and tell Steve he would have to wait for the next run! Removal is simple. Both are stored in my garage until he’s ready to install. I’ll share some pics when we are done. 

We use our Jeeps and I love the extra capacity. Good work by Troy, Matt and the boys on the crew!
Black Sheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 12:18am
Thanks Greg! I’m glad you guys are happy with them. 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 3:29am
Troy - I would like to order 2 of the 12" bed extenders.  I will send you a PM.

Thanks, 

Stev - Cincinnati
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 3:43am
Got it. I’ll get back with you ASAP 
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2020 at 1:50am
Love things that are overbuilt. As a country we need more of that. 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2020 at 3:41pm
Why thank you sir! We are not as much a show jeep bunch. We use these things all over the farm plus our Sunday drive to church. If possible, we will be harvesting our 8 acre crop of alfalfa with  the 46',47',48' and another 48' this summer. So we try to keep them in reason to stock but add for the few issues that need support.
Sdhharmon575 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sdhharmon575 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 6:42pm
Just want to give Troy & the boys a shout out on the extend-a-bed.
I purchased one of the 12" beds & it fits great on my old 47 flat fender. I also love the look of the shorter bed compared to the longer bed.(But that's just me) First thought before I got it was I 
would take it off to go trail riding,but don't believe the short one will be in the way of any trail riding I will do. So I'm leaving mine on full time. Will try to post pics of it as soon as I get it painted. Great job guys!!! ClapClapClapClap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2020 at 4:16pm
Steve H. I'm glad your happy with your bed and hope to see the pics soon.
GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 5:40pm
Posting this for Steve. He got his short-style extender installed. He is loving the extra space (so is his dog!)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 5:46pm
Cool...looks good!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 7:51pm
Can't wait to try these short bed extensions out!  Seems like such an awesome idea.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 8:05pm

I really like the looks of the short version. Thumbs Up

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:29pm
These look awesome and very useful. I would not want to have one installed for serious rock bashing.
I do know that I would knock even the short one off my 1st trail in Moab or Sand Hollow.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 12:25am
These look great! Can you please send some details on the mounting?
Actually an 18" one would be perfect for my Firewood Collecting!
Would you consider a mid size (18")?

Thanks
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 2:39am
Sure we can build one to you sepcifications!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 2:45am
You will drill a hole in the new bed to match the slot on your Jeep were your bed chains hook in. This is the mounting bolt that holds the bed firmly to your Jeep. Then there are two braces that attach to your bumper and extend 45 degrees up to the floor of the new bed. This will help for heavy loads and take the strain off of the rear of the body chain latch slots. We don’t drill these because we have found that all Jeeps are not the same. They tend to have slight differences and no need in having extra holes to trash the looks of your ride. How’s this for an answer?
gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2021 at 12:12pm
I'd like to see a photo of a long extension with a Bantam trailer attached with some sort of stinger to the bumper. Gary
gostby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>