Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E-Z out woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E-Z out woes
    Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 11:55pm
Hey all... I did try to search first (maybe not very good at it, or just upset and rushing cause I just did this)

Got all my manifold studs out so they could be replaced before the new manifold comes in... All went great, save for one.... It broke, "no big deal I thought" they make tools for that. Got an EZ out... And you can imagine the heartbreak when I felt it snap right in. Now, I'm no welder... Nor do I have the stuff really. But this is what I've done, and all I can say right now... Help... Cry

Edited by DocHoff - 10 Sep. 2017 at 11:58pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 12:58am
Been there Confused

I recently was able to insert a screwdriver down through the head bolt hole and push the piece of ez out from inside the water jacket...'course this only works if you drilled the stud completely through and the ez out is now into the water jacket Ermm

shy of that, I'd be grinding a hole in the ez with a diamond ball bit in the dremel, or welding a nut...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 1:03am
Good luck. I've always managed to survive things like this.
A friend has an auto repair shop and locks up the carbide drill bits in his desk drawer so they don't "Walk off". They will drill through a drill bit or an Easyout. A lot of machine shops have them but they aren't going to loan them out.
uncamonkey
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 1:35am
A lot of good suggestions and another one would be to use a dremel with a cut off wheel an cut a slot in the easy out and use a screwdriver and turn it out turning it clock wise. Make a note not to use easy outs.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 2:16am
There is no tool so misnamed as an EZ Out...there is nothing easy about it...

If there is ANY consolation to this situation, at least you didn't break off the stud closest to the firewall...damned near impossible to get to with any tools to extract a broken stud. (Ask me how I know!)

If you have access to a Dremel, I would start by getting the top of the broken mess as flat as possible because the next step is going to require that you center punch the flat spot as close to center as you possibly can.

Next, some intense heat just enough to get the stud/EZ Out a dull red. Try not to direct the heat to the block. Let it cool.

Drill the center of the stud/EZ Out trying not to get off center using a 19/64 or if you are somewhat off center, a 9/32 drill bit. The object is to get as much of the broken pieces out of the hole as possible. This hole will need to go all the way through the broken pieces to the interior of the water jacket. If you have access to a carbide bit, it might make it a little easier, but I would caution you that carbide, while it does drill harder materials is also very brittle. High speed steel drill bits may get duller quicker, but they are a lot more forgiving as far as breakage is concerned. If you are certain that you have hit the exact center of the broken parts you could possibly use a Letter "M" drill bit to clean up the hole a little larger.

After you have center drilled the broken pieces, apply some more heat, just enough to get it hot... not red. Let it cool. This is to relieve some of the stresses in the broken parts. Apply some PB Blaster or Kroil to the area and let it soak for a few hours applying some more at hourly intervals.

Using the largest straight cut EZ Out that will fit the full length of the hole, tap it into place and very gently apply pressure on the EZ Out being very careful to keep the pressure applied evenly with no side to side pressure. Gently tap the end of the EZ Out while applying gentle pressure. Hopefully, the broke part will give up and come loose.

If not, heat it gently again, but not red, and try more PB Blaster after it cools. This could take several tries over several days. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE...

If the stud has come out, clean the hole up with a 3/8" x 16 tpi tap.

When going back with new studs, make sure the two outer studs are longer than the rest and that you use #2 Permatex on the threads that enter the block.

There are 7 studs. 3 are 1 1/2" long (oem p/n 300143), 2 are 1 3/4" long (oem p/n 632159), and 2 are 2 1/8" long oem p/n A-564)

Good luck...and you have my very deepest sympathy...

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

DocHoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2017 at 4:47pm
Tongue

Happy ending to this story y'all! Thank you so much for your advice and insight. Fortunate that the old threads remained intact! And the newly refurbished manifold goes on Tonite!! 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2017 at 6:08pm
Please tell us your method of removal so that others may learn technique from your experience...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

DocHoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2017 at 6:37pm
It turned out that between heat, pb blaster, a Dremel tool and two diamond grinding bits Centered in the stud / EZ out combo. Coupled with the patience of a saint, I was able to grind out the core and work it all loose as SE Kansas  suggested. In my own case, I was fortunate enough to have the existing threads preserved.

Edited by DocHoff - 15 Sep. 2017 at 6:39pm
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2017 at 7:33pm
Hooray!

I think we've all been in that same predicament... If not with a head bolt, something else. 

Nice job, I'm glad you got it out!

Clap
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2017 at 8:26pm
Congrats on your success!

Before I even begin this journey...I snapped the bolt going into the bottom of the exhaust manifold for the down pipe. Any suggestions on removing the broken bolt remains before I begin?

The nut and stud are still intact, bust snapped off the actual bolt.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2017 at 8:36pm
there is nothing like success to make you want to never do that again, lol.  Congrats!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2017 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Congrats on your success!

Before I even begin this journey...I snapped the bolt going into the bottom of the exhaust manifold for the down pipe. Any suggestions on removing the broken bolt remains before I begin?

The nut and stud are still intact, bust snapped off the actual bolt.

Is any of it still sticking out ?
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2017 at 12:53am
Art,

If you are talking about this guy and the nut is still on the other end I would heat the manifold and try to twist out the bolt. 

Once you get it to turn it should drive out with a punch or correct size bolt. 

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2017 at 8:14pm
I got a couple pics...bolt broke off inside the flange.

This is all original exhaust and hardware on my 48 CJ-2A...down pipe is rusted at the flange/pipe connection and what started the maintenance.

Guessing I need to remove the nut and bolt end and the exhaust clamp under the driver seat and see if I can get the pipe to separate from the manifold to start.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2017 at 9:49pm
Art,

If you are lucky enough to be able to remove the nut from the stud on the other side of the flange you should be in business. The one I looked at had the bolt inserted from the top. 

That busted bolt should tap right out with the down pipe dropped. 

A little never seize on the threads on the way back up makes next time a lot less interesting. 

Mike

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2017 at 11:24pm
http://www.kanolabs.com/
kroil penetrating spray!  It's amazing stuff!  I was able to remove original screw nuts from a 46 2A windshield after soaking them with this stuff for 20 min!  they where so rusted together they looked like one piece of metal.  I use it on all old parts that need to come apart now.  I've always used PB blaster in the past, but not anymore, totally amazing.    I've also heard of 50/50 acetone and ATF working welllbut have had such good luck with Kroil I haven't bothered.  Just removed an intake and exhaust manifold off a 2A with out braking a bolt just soaked in kroil for a day before, and some heat... and easy back and forth, heat,  back and forth etc.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 12:30am
I've never used Kroil...Do you recommend liquid and an oil can or spray bottle for best results or an aero spray can.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 3:56am
I've tried Kroil a few times and it has never worked for me.  I may be too impatient, though.  Or else I have gotten the lazy Kroil, the oil that doesn't creep.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>