Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E-Z out woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 11:12am
I've got some Kroil liquid on the way, will let you know if I am amazed. Have been using PB for the last few years and it works well but to be honest # 1 or 2 fuel oil works about as well as anything I have tried and is a lot less costly  
I keep a bucket around the shop for things that can be soaked. 

Mike

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 2:02pm
I use a mix of diesel fuel and Marvel Mystery Oil.  Then let soak for at least a day.  

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 2:44am
I use the spray cans, they usually have some deal where you get 2 from there site and save $.  I've broken a fair amount of bolts over the years and have learned that patience is your friend!  That and using all the tricks you can! Beer   I've learned that Two seconds of pushing to hard on a bolt, not using heat, or not soaking can lead to many many hours of BS and swearing! 
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 11:20am
X2! E-Z out, from my one experience, means "take it easy", not that the tool MAKES it easy to get the broken bolt out.
Rick Estes
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 2:45pm
Got a chance to test Kroil.  When I started up my wood cutting jeep buddy a few days ago it had a noticeable miss, ran a few tests and #4 was at 60 pounds compression. 

I pulled the fender off the drivers side and checked for a broken valve spring, no such luck, pulled the head and manifolds. Not sure of the issue yet but I have to admit that was the easiest one has come apart for me to date. No broken bolts or stripped threads. The wife rang the dinner bell before I pulled off the manifold but all the bolts and nuts are down to finger tight. 

When old red is back together I will see what kind of luck I have on the next project. 

I picked up a ‘39 Farmall F14 awhile back and have a few nasty threads to deal with. 

I hope the Kroil helps with these. 

Anyway thanks for the advice to give Kroil a try, seems to be worth the money. 

Mike
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 2:53pm
WOW!!! Look at that collection! You Sir, are my hero Smile
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 3:04pm
So what all did you Kroil for this disassembly?
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 3:13pm
Art,

manifold and fender attachments including the down pipe along wth the other smaller parts to get the fender off. Not much you can do with head bolts except be careful. 

Mike 
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 8:09pm
Happy to be able to say these came out intact. I’m glad I gave Kroil a try. 

Mike
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 8:41pm
I have used AeroKroil for years and it usually works for me. Smile
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 11:03pm
I'm always finding something stashed in the shop by my late father in law.  Today it was a couple of spray cans of Kroil in the back of the drill bit cabinet.  

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Willy M Willy M wrote:

I'm always finding something stashed in the shop by my late father in law.  Today it was a couple of spray cans of Kroil in the back of the drill bit cabinet.  

You have a drill bit cabinet??  I thought I had a bunch of drill bits in a drawerConfused
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 5:06am
Finally got around to starting on my exhaust down pipe venture.

Kroiled the nut and bolt threads on the rear manifold hardware and all the exhaust clamp hardware.

Got the original exhaust all removed.

Had to remove the fuel line from the carb to pump for drill access

Center punched the broken bolt and drilled 1/8, 9/32, 3/16 with a WEN Angle head drill. Found that I was not centered so this is about as large as I can go without getting into the actual threads in the manifold.

Tried a Rigid 3/16 screw extractor several times but it kept slipping so no go.

Anyone's thought to try next?

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 11:42am
My final tool was a flat screw driver ground down to a wedge shape with sharp edges. Drove it into the hole in the bolt,  pushed hard and turned slowly. 
Rick Estes
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 12:35pm
Art,

You might want to try using the “ rescue bit “ Ralf suggested for a broken head stud. I can’t seem to copy the link he posted but look in the general section around January 08 under head stud removal or broken head stud. Looks like a good way to ream out the rest of you broken bolt. 

Mike

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 3:02pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 3:13pm
Yes they are, that’s why I don’t own any yet. Might be a good idea to check with Ralf and see how much life the cutting edge has. If they hold up well to use it might be worth it in the long run. 

Mike

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 4:04pm
On which penetrating oil to use, I've read a number of threads (maybe some on this forum?) that have cited one or more tests which have compared different penetrating oils.  I think Kroil has done well, but supposedly the best performer has been a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.  I present that as hear-say that might prove helpful.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>