Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F script hood hinge.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F script hood hinge.
    Posted: 30 Jan. 2012 at 9:47pm
I got quite excited ( I maybe easily excited) yesterday whilst trying to restore the hinge on the hood of 29488. The Jeep was rolled a long time ago resulting in considerable damage. Some of which was repaired to a very high standard, some was not, hood including. From the overall condition of the Jeep it seems quite original. I am confident the hood hinge was factory fitted as it has Harvest Tan paint and damage from the roll over. So I was surprised to find what seems to be a Ford f script on the hood hinge after grinding off some bubba arc weld. Here are two photos, one of the hood when I bought the Jeep ( with my Dad tinkering ) and one of the f. I was wondering if Ford may have sold Willys some parts after the War ended? What do you Guys think?
46 CJ2A 29488, Harvest Tan, Sunset red wheels.

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2012 at 9:56pm
Andrew,

That sure looks to be a Ford F script.  There is certainly a lot that we don't know about what went on at Willys Overland, but it seems completely reasonable to me that if Ford had an inventory of Jeep parts after WW II, that Willys would have bought them if the price was right.  
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2012 at 10:22pm
Nice! You can even still make out what's left of the waffle stamp that Willys/ACM used to cover up the F-stamp.  Here's a link to some prior discussion:

The consensus seems to be that just the hinges are Ford parts.  GPW hood halves would have had additional holes for the windshield hold-down latches.

Brandon
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2012 at 4:30am
You will find many ford parts.  hood, rock guards, seals, axle washers, etc.. 
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2012 at 5:14am
I'm excited to see someone else with a 2A of this time period with a Ford "F" in the hood hinge. When I first discovered a Ford "F" on my hinge, I was worried that something was wrong with my reasonably-original '46 CJ2A. Since then, I've found a few folks with 2A's of this time period that had the "F". So, it does look like Willys and Ford either made overruns available to each other, or Willys bought from Ford's hinge supplier, or they helped each other when parts ran out and they were in a pinch, or whatever. Regardless Old Boy's 29488 wasn't that far ahead of my 38503. So I wonder how many other 2A's between our numbers also have the "F" hinge? ...R

Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2012 at 5:26am
The 'hashed out' F is a bit of a status symbol for early 2A's. Try to preserve it...
jamesholden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesholden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2012 at 6:11am
mine was waffle stamped over. my understanding was when willys was awarded patent, they bought all surplus. lots of f's on 18526 all waffled over
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2012 at 3:13pm
There is factory documentation of the use of the hashed out F hoods. I haven't seen any other documentation on the other F's
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2012 at 11:58pm
I have found several F stamp parts on my 45.
The hood was the only one that was stamped over though. (in the exact same spot too)
All the others are clear F stamp.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2012 at 2:01am
I find it pretty interesting that Ford stamped its parts with an F, to begin with. I have found F script parts on my 51 Franken Jeep, and was happy to sell them. Thumbs Up I have found none on My 46. I suppose if I where a rich man, I would have a GPW too...Maybe someday
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2012 at 4:26am

The story goes----- Old man Ford did not want to warranty any W-O parts by mistake so he put the "F" mark on nearly every part of the GPW.  Most castings, sheet metal stampings, and bolts had the mark.  As the war went on, fewer bolts got the mark.  Supply issues I assume.  The whole plan backfired on him as he had a run of engine blocks that were a tad thin below the dizzy and could crack there and cause a leak.  Many did and because his blocks were all marked he had to replace them.  I am almost done with a GPW resto and had a tough time finding the correct bolts.  Those I did have all needed replated or new black oxide.  That sure slows the process.  When I could not find or buy at a reasonable price the F marked bolts, I used CAT bolts and removed the head stamp.  Those have the right size heads on them.  Much thicker than modern bolts.  The whole deal is a PITA.  It is fun though, when I show the jeep, folks insist it's s W-O and the F marks prove that it's a Ford.

Lew Ladwig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2012 at 4:30am
Lew,
What Axes and shovels are you sporting, this is a new fever of mine. Any photos nd the such would be great. Enjoyed your post, you seem like the authority.Thumbs Up
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2012 at 1:59pm
don't know about "authority" but I have been playing with these toys a long time.
Here is my GPW when I showed it at the MVPA National convention:
She is about 99% factory correct. 
Here is the body.  I now have some filler on it.  Many months of cutting out the rust and and patching new panels:
Here she is after getting her home and removing the fenders:
Floor repair:
This is the PO in the summer of '47:
I don't have an axe and shovel yet.  I have been watching for originals but those are either worn out or big $$$.
I may have to go repro.

Lew
Lew Ladwig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 12:39am
Hey Lew,
Whats the deal on joining the international flat fender club. Open for new members?
Tried to start an South Carolina club, There seemed to be no interest.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 12:43am
Scott,

You can join the Virginia patrol of the IFFC.  No rules other than an interest in flat fender Jeeps! LOL
Sam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 1:35am
Thanks Sam! How does one join??
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 1:41am
See this thread by all4jpn:  Virginia FFC  Just tell him your in!
Sam

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2012 at 2:03am
I was able to purchase a couple of shovels at a hardware store that were american made and still had the correct pattern to fit a jeep. They had a green metallic painted handle and I do not oremember the brand, but they were very reasonable and NEW... Study the shovel posts over on the G 503 board and try to memorize the flea market test....and you may be pleasantly surprised at your hardware store too.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>