Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Factory Tire Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Tire Options
    Posted: 05 Feb. 2022 at 11:06am
I've been studying the Campbell Films Farm Jeep DVD.  All the early Jeeps are equipped with NDTs, except for the VEC in the Farm-Aid Film.  I did a search using the subject words and didn't find anything.  Here are some stills taken from the film, so not much detail.  I would like to know if they would have been an option or if Farm-Aid felt they would give better performance.

Thanks,
Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 7:34pm
Barry,

Joe DeYoung had some of those on a rack in his shop. I should have taken pictures when I was there. I’ll see if I can get him to look at this post when he has time. 

I have seen those tires on other 2As. 

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 8:25pm
They look a lot like those Firestone 'Knobbies' but with a center rib.....interesting!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 1:24am
2 years ago (3?) at Jeeps in January I photographed many of Joe's tires in his collection so it will be interesting to see if they are Firestones. If so, then TMC would have installed them most likely. BFG was the only other tire Willys was considering at that time I am aware of. Both the AgriJeep prototypes and production were Goodyear.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 6:54am
Thanks everyone.  I don't expect we will ever know why they changed tires for the demonstration film. 

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 1:46pm
Barry,

Here is a pic of Joes tire rack taken by Scratch from the Jeeps in January thread:

Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 08 Feb. 2022 at 1:50pm
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 3:49pm
Joe's are an even different variation!

There is what I'm referring to as a Firestone Knobbie there next to one of them though.

But the ones in Joe's rack don't have a solid center rib but a center rib tread nonetheless different from the knobbies.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 5:04pm
The tire rack picture  6th from right, top row. Maybe with a little mud/dirt between the center lugs it might be the tire in the farm jeep pics? Looks like right rear tire in the last pic. Kinda.  Lol

Edited by Michaeltru - 08 Feb. 2022 at 5:05pm
Mike in AZ
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2022 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

...Looks like right rear tire in the last pic. Kinda.  Lol

That's the one I was talking about too....but Joe's have a broken center tread and the ones on the farm jeep look (if you expand the picture) like the center rib is more solid similar to an NDT.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply