Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairlead roller pins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fairlead roller pins
    Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 1:50am
I thought the vertical roller pins were through-bolts that required drilling holes in the top of the bumper. I found this image where the pin bottoms seem flush with the bracket. Anyone have a better image or explanation of how the pins mount?

Mike

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 4:18am
If that's the winch I think it is, unless you have an M-38, you may want to sell it and buy another (Jeep)
Mike P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 4:30am
Well, thank you for that, but the picture is a photo I found searching for views of the underside of early style fairlead/frame combos. I don’t have that particular winch. My question is how did they seemingly make the pin flush with the frame bottom. The frame looks like it is 1/4 inch angle iron so they most likely did not thread the frame hole or did they? Looking for answers on how it was done.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 4:36am

Well, for the winch in that picture, the fairlead is part of the winch frame, and the base is drilled and tapped for 1/2-13 pins.

Without knowing which winch you plan to use, I can't confirm, but most fairleads the roller pins are not also the mounting bolts.
Mike P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 5:37am
Ah, thank you!

I have a Ramsey X200R just like the one seen here:

The square headed bolt I have is 1/2 inch shank and 5 inches long, so it is either the wrong bolt or designed to pass through the bumper. The lower winch frame hole is not threaded and is the same size as the upper frame hole and the bolt easily slips through both holes. All holes are deburred/radiused in the Ramsey two-piece frame, so I don’t think any threaded holes have been drilled out.

This won’t be used for any serious winching; just a retro accessory install as a tribute to my 92yo dad. Was hoping to not have to drill holes in the bumper.

Thanks again,
Mike

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 7:30am
That's a different winch design.
Those bolts likely go thru like you said.

The first picture was a model 50 winch.

That second picture looks alot like Joe Caprio's Jeep.

Edited by Joe Friday - 19 Apr. 2021 at 11:49am
Mike P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 4:37pm
Thanks for confirming my suspicion that even though the fairlead rollers and winch frames in the pictures look similar, the roller pin installments are engineered differently.

And yes, the second picture is the Arthur Knorr/Joe Caprio/Jim Taylor CJ3A.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 7:30pm
I was at the auction where Joe bought that Jeep. I was a bit over confident because I brought an empty trailer. When Joe bought the jeep, the rear crossmember of the winch mount was installed upside down.

I'm assuming Jim Taylor bought it from Joe's estate after he passed? Is Jim a Pennsylvania Jeep guy?

Either Dave at ewillys or Art Contoni might have the installation instructions and parts list for your winch.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 7:51pm
Here’s the Ramsey 246 roller fairlead:
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Either Dave at ewillys or Art Contoni might have the installation instructions and parts list for your winch.

Here is the exploded diagram of the Ramsey Model 50 (M38/M38A1) Winch Fairlead.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
 Post Reply Post Reply