Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Family treasure - 46 CJ-2A all original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2013 at 4:31am
Great advice Windyhill, thanks! I'll probably hold off on the original-looking cloth wire harness until I do a full frame-off restoration. Right now it still likes to get dirty now and then.

This is what the engine compartment looks like. I would like to start painting some things, but that's a slippery-slope. Once you start, before you know it everything is so clean you hate to drive it and get anything dirty!

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2013 at 5:16am
What is that spring on/near the hood hinges?

Qipp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qipp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2013 at 3:26pm
Several members have offered great advice, leave your jeep unrestored! Anything that you repaint will stand out like a sore thumb and take away from its value as a survivor. It is a rare thing to find a 60+ year old vehicle in the condition yours is in. Just give it a good detail job, do the repairs necessary to keep it safe and running and enjoy it as it is. Post us more picturesSmile
Gordon
48 cj2a 152642
Bantam T3-C 4297
birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2013 at 4:12pm
damar2yxr need to go to JM-46CJ2A house. We needed a intervention take all his paint and spray paint away. Big smile That is one nice clean engine bay for a orininal 46.  It is one slippery slope when you start painting the engine bay. Oh while I have this off I might as pull this off and paint it too. Next thing you know you have your engine on a engine stand painting it. LOL I too would like to know about the spring on the hood hinge plus what is that on the head next to the coolant outlet. It looks like a thermocouple for the heater?
Thanks much for posting and the pics. Enjoy it as it is.
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2013 at 6:42pm
 The land of ice and snow WI  .... I am betting a homemade  Block heater..   Note  plug wire  goes to the front so it can be plugged in at night.
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2013 at 7:10pm
  Yep, a block heater, but not homemade. Used to be fairly common.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2013 at 4:45am
You're all right about the block heater. It still works and I use it on cold mornings -- only takes 15 minutes to get the top half of the block warm.

The HOOD SPRING...good question! I've not found any other example of it. I think it's either an owner- or dealer-bubba. Why? The only thing it seems to do is compress when you close the lid -- acting opposite the hold-down latches. When you release the latches the hood pops up an inch or so. I believe it may counter an undesirable vibration...only because I can't think of any other reason to have it. Actually I kind of like that the hood pops up a bit when unlatched.

Here are a couple of photos of this unusual detail:

I just took a fun little nighttime cruise tonight -- now that I have a working battery charger and appropriate lighting. The headlights are so bright I got "flashed" by a passerby who thought they were TOO bright. I'm going to have to aim them even lower. Nice problem to have, compared to having no or very dim lamps...

And it's nice to have the heater too when the temps are below 40F. My left foot was in 7th heaven!

Jeeps don't leak...they mark their territory.
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2013 at 5:23am
Here's the newly-functional 6V electrical system in action. Bright lights, big city baby!
(Note the electrical plug dangling for the block heater)

Okay, I have a new question: This original canvas is OLD. 67 years old. But it's not TOO bad, except for the seams/edging. Is this restorable -- or do I need to buy new canvas? I happen to like the older patina of the originals & would like to keep 'em -- but they won't last much longer without a little help.

Are they saveable? If so, who can re-stich/restore or "freshen them up?"  -D  (photo below)

The Fez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2013 at 1:03pm
You could try an awning business to help with seams. They have the heavy-duty sewing machines required for the task.
Dennis Braam
North Vancouver, BC
1947 Willys CJ2A https://sites.google.com/site/willyscj2ajeep/
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2013 at 2:02pm
If it can wait till after Christmas, I can try to repair it for you. I have never been able to find a binding like the original. Can the original binding on your top be saved?

I'd also like to see some pictures of your bows please. Do they have a rivet stop or a punch tab? Could I see some pics of how the tabs are welded on the front upright bows?

Top Bows (Page 3)
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2013 at 3:11pm
Think that spring was installed to keep the wallowed out hinge from allowing the hood to rattle going down the road? Bubba fixed it..
Take it off and drive it, see what happens.
Real nice Jeep!

Edited by kilroy - 11 Nov. 2013 at 4:21pm
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2013 at 3:39pm
Very Nice! Glad to see it's in Good Hands.
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2013 at 4:12am
I went springless tonight, not a huge difference. thought I heard a rattle but that might have been power of suggestion. Ah, well. I put the spring back on.

Jeff-- a very welcome offer to consider refreshing the existing canvas (vs. replacement). What do you suggest re: first steps?  -Doug
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2013 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by JM-46CJ2A JM-46CJ2A wrote:

…...Jeff-- a very welcome offer to consider refreshing the existing canvas (vs. replacement). What do you suggest re: first steps?  -Doug
I suppose you should mail me the top at your leisure.  I'll PM you my address.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2013 at 1:38pm
…. or you could bring it to me in Milwaukee on the 25th.  I will be there on business.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

WrenchMonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrenchMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2013 at 1:17am
First off, fantastic rig, and fantastic history. You should be very proud of both!

Second, if I might offer a guess:

Originally posted by JM-46CJ2A JM-46CJ2A wrote:

I went springless tonight, not a huge difference...

Did the hood still "pop" without the spring? I'm not convinced that's what it's for. It looks like it's in tension, rather than compression. Pulling the hood shut rather than pushing it open.

Does the spring get tight with the hood all the way open? Could it be intended to keep the hood from hitting the windshield so hard? Cushion the blow a bit?

Best guess I've got...

Robert

JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2013 at 2:17am

No, it didn't pop open. The spring IS in tension -- but when you close the lid it simply "squishes" the spring longitudinally (between the hood support beam and firewall). The spring being itself in tension doesn't seem to do anything more than hold itself in place.

WrenchMonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrenchMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2013 at 2:20am
Huh.

Well, I've certainly been wrong before!

But again, great rig. It is a treasure.

Robert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>