Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Family treasure - 46 CJ-2A all original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2013 at 8:06am
Doug,
Really nice original you have there and like the others I'm glad you're interested in keeping it stock. She's a real beauty, especially since it has family history for you... something you just can't go out buy. One would think that it's odd that such a nice jeep could be bought in Northern WI, but some of my cleanest and most original jeeps have been bought in WI. Guess it's all about how they are taken care of and your wife's grandfather was apparently was a master. Have fun with it.  

Edited by Joe DeYoung - 15 Nov. 2013 at 8:08am
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

lsw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2013 at 5:49pm
Hi Doug,

First off, really nice original, enjoy it as is, they are only original once. I have a 73 J2000 that is really clean and the more I "restore" on it, the more I wish I would have originally left it alone and enjoyed it for what it is, a cool old truck. 

Does the hood spring hold it up when open over center, the wind has been known to blow in northern Wisconsin and I know I have been hit on the head with a flat fender hood in the past.

Enjoy that beautiful ride,
Luke
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2013 at 6:48pm
(The spring doesn't do anything to hold the hood up -- I had the same exact thought as I've had it come down on me too!)

A simple fix: The fuel gauge hasn't worked for years -- always read empty, and so I used the classic "stick" method instead. Last night I removed the sending unit for inspection. Clearly it was not the original -- a cheap plastic PP float had sprung a leak and filled up with gas. I bubba'd it up for now and purchased a brass float replacement online (search ebay). Now "the stick" can finally retire.

Edited by JM-46CJ2A - 17 Nov. 2013 at 6:57pm
Jeeps don't leak...they mark their territory.
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2013 at 7:00pm
Pic of the interior:

JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2013 at 7:16pm
On tightening up the very loose steering: The prime offender is the bell crank -- it wobbles. The pin is 34/" and seems to be still in spec with no worn areas. So the two bell crank roller bearings at the least are probably done-for. Q: Do they need to be pressed in hydraulically? The only source for these bearings I've seen (without getting the whole kit) is from Omix-Ada. Are these any good? Steering is kind of important...

I've also had difficulty detaching the crank from the steering tie rod...any tips? Heat it up?
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2013 at 7:59pm
    I wouldn't heat it except as a last resort. Remove the castellated nut, turn it over and screw it back on, stopping when the stud comes about flush with the nut, and knock it out with a hammer. Or, with the nut loose, whack the end of the bellcrank eye with a large hammer, or, with a large hammer held on one side of the eye, whack the other side of it.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2013 at 3:57am
JPET visited us in Wisconsin this afternoon -- a very nice gentleman with a lot of jeep knowledge and experience. We took an evening drive in our '46 and later shared stories and strategies over pizza. Our conversation cemented the decision to not attempt to "restore" the original canvas tops but leave them in their beautiful state and obtain a full winter set from JPET. That way we have the best of both worlds. A no-brainer, really.
And, I'm thinking more seriously about an overdrive, provided I can install it without cutting permanent metal. If we do, Herm will get the call.
Safe travels JPET!
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 6:32am
Well, it's been over a year since my last post. Much has happened in the meantime. But, that wasn't the original intention...

I started in 2014 with installing an OVERDRIVE obtained from Herm. That really made a huge difference in driveability. While I would never want to consider using our jeep for "transportation" -- it IS nice to be able to go down even a rural road without being a slow-moving hazard.

With a few tips here and there from Herm, the OD installation was fairly straightforward. The only issues I had were a more difficult linkage fitment due to our jeep having "3 on the tree," not on the floor. And, we still had a working rear PTO. Herm offers a kid to re-attach the PTO, but then the engagement lever moves rearward as well. I didn't want to cut another hole in the tub. So for now the PTO is simply not connected anymore, and I will decide at a later date how important it is to have a working PTO and re-connect it (realizing I'll never likely use it for anything anyway).

Transfer case prior to fitting OD.

...and we enjoyed the OD for less than 1 month (didn't even take any photos of it) before I decided to move on to the next item on the list -- fixing OIL LEAKS from the engine, tranny, bell housing, differential (etc)...

Edited by JM-46CJ2A - 11 Jan. 2015 at 6:35am
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 7:07am
Leaks. Early jeeps aren't really designed NOT to leak. Nobody cared much in those days about the occasional drip, or even glop, of oil on the ground or driveway.

But almost 70 years after this car was built, pretty much all the seals were DONE. FINI. KAPUT.  There were leaks from 7-8 places. I naively thought it would be a fairly simple deal to change out the seals. But I soon learned that this task was over my head -- and particularly, my insufficient tool chest. So, we brought the jeep down the highway to a local restoration shop.

Turns out the engine has never been removed or really serviced/updated. We discovered the seals were not pliable at all. They were rock hard, and actually digging GROOVES into the steel sealing surfaces. 

Our jeep had almost 40,000 miles on it, and we found other issues...metal parts were found in the transfer case. But, these I added myself at one point when I re-installed the OD and it wasn't aligned quite right.

Metal parts in the transmission and broken springs...

Over time a soft "knock" had developed too, that sounded like it was coming from the bell housing area. When the housing was removed we learned a couple of things. Starting with this small metal fragment sitting on the bottom:

and the clutch was still the factory original. And, it was more than ready to retire.

We're finding tired parts in every corner. The TC,

The tranny,

By now the boulder was rolling down the hill faster and faster...

Our jeep was by now an empty shell...

"Fixing the leaks" brought us quickly to a crossroads...attempt to replace the seals only, or rebuild everything back to factory spec? But, we don't want to ever have to do this again. After 40k miles clearly it's time for a thorough mechanical going-over...especially since we've got it all apart anyhow.

JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 7:18am
We pulled the engine and put it on a stand. 

Thankfully, after a thorough inspection we confirmed that our trusty "go-devil" was perfectly fine. We really didn't have to do anything to it. 

And once again I made the decision NOT to do a cosmetic resto and keep original/as-is. To me it's just more interesting to see it with its "history" intact. And, we still USE this jeep. Long ago I learned it's too easy to restore a vehicle to a point where you don't want to ever get it wet or dirty!

JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 7:28am
As you all know there are many lubrication points on a jeep.

Well, not everyone knows! Here's one rust-coated zirc (of many).

The steering had a TON of play, too. Probably at least partly due to overstress because of our larger, heavier tires. The purist in me appreciates original size and type -- but I still like the utility and look of these tires for now. So, we rebuilt the steering gearbox and tightened up the steering components. Replaced the bell crank pin with the new, safer design from Walcks too.

JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 7:42am
Ultimately we made the tough decision to acquire and install a professionally rebuilt tranny and transfer case, rather than rebuild them ourselves. It would actually cost us less that way, we'd have more confidence in the result -- and we'd be able to put another 40k+ miles on the jeep without undue concern.

Our jeep was reassembled with the new parts, the old parts, and those "in-between."  It was delivered to winter storage late November 2014.

MEANWHILE, starting in October 2014 JPET began work on a full set of new canvas. The factory-original canvas is intact, but suffers from dry rot and seams are coming apart. The canvas material is no longer strong enough to make an effective repair. Of course we will retain and preserve the original set. But it was time to make the switch.

Just this week two boxes arrived from JPET. His workmanship looks GREAT and I can't wait to get it all on our jeep!  Stay tuned...
Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 1:12pm
I can't believe how clean the metal is for living in a salt state. Grandfather must have stayed off the roads in the winter.
1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 1:59pm
Clap
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 2:29pm
I'm suprised your old tranny worked at all looking at the pics.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 6:16pm
Nice job showing us what you are doing. I'm glad you love your Jeep. You are it's care taker! Thumbs Up John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by JM-46CJ2A JM-46CJ2A wrote:

And once again I made the decision NOT to do a cosmetic resto and keep original/as-is. To me it's just more interesting to see it with its "history" intact. And, we still USE this jeep. Long ago I learned it's too easy to restore a vehicle to a point where you don't want to ever get it wet or dirty!

Clap
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 9:39pm
Thanks a lot for sharing the story.  That really is a treasure.  I also appreciate your 'step lightly' attitude towards all that historic 'fabric.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>