Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAQ - topic list

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAQ - topic list
    Posted: 22 Jan. 2010 at 3:17pm
Now that we have a start on an FAQ, we need a "List of Topics" to include in it, those issue which seem to recur most often.

I've got my own list of 20 or so.  At the top are a "CJ-2A Spotters Guide" to answer the question "What year CJ-2A do I have", plus "12 volt conversion", "Oil FIlter/Pressure", etc.

So send me your "Top 10" (20, 30?) list to prioritize.

Sean

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2010 at 5:14pm
This should really help Sean. Perhaps others could try to write a FAQ about one thing or the other subject to your or the groups approval so its not all on your shoulders. I might try steering box, seats, or ebrake if time is not an issue. This could evolve into a stand alone manual over time.

Most of this stuff is in the manuals but there are still many questions asked and clarifications needed.

Serial number FAQ what with all the info that's been discovered over the past few years.
Steering box rebuild
Setting up steering
E-brake rebuild
Knuckle seals
Bell crank rebuild
Correct seats
Heat riser rebuild
Correct wiring for amp guage
Horn wiring
Pulling steering wheel
Replacing or adjusting clutch/linkage
Pulling and replacing yokes and or u-joints
Add your wiring diagrams added to a FAQ
Brake adjustment
Not sure how to address engine or transmission rebuilds maybe pick some common problems and write a specific FAQ for one or two most confusing issues that seem to get recurring questions like
removing the head, crankshaft endplay and such?

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2010 at 6:46pm
Maybe edit the "Color List" and include that into the FAQ's
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2010 at 12:05am
color list 1. the list of what color the various parts are painted.
              2. Paint colors and when they became available.
              3. Wheel colors and what body color went with each wheel color + pinstripe color
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2010 at 12:47am
Don't quite know how best to do it - and it's something I've been thinking about for a while - but a "map" of where to find all the different serial numbers would be brilliant!

Hats off to you Sean!
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2010 at 1:00am
Harriet,
Sean's data base has pictures of the various places where numbers are located, if you click on the little photos at the top it opens into a more detailed version. I find it useful. http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2010 at 2:30am
carb questions
starter/ring gear/bellhousing relationships
starter issues on it's own
clutch issues
title issues
heat/cooling/radiator
electrical overview
  This could go on forever...
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2010 at 9:50am
Gale, the (my) problem is that while the data base has all the information (and brilliantly too), there is no overall view with pointers, some new folk who are looking for the numbers want to see where they are easily. I know I'm not making myself clear, but it takes one step of looking out!
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2010 at 11:12am
Maybe what Harriet is suggesting (I'm not sure) is what we touched on a week or two ago. The info is here, it's just hard to find at a glance.

My thinking (and maybe Harriet's) is that the serial number/data page needs to be a 'stand alone' type thing.....much like the main forum topic sections...General Discussion, Technical Questions, Your Jeep Project, etc.

Not suggesting a replacement I don't guess but for my particular needs, I'd alot rather see the Data Page as a 'stand alone' instead of say the Owners Locator or even the Chat Room.....(but that's just my preference because I don't use either of those but I realize others do.) Don't know the actual Page formatting maybe it can be added in addition to those, I dunno.

But that is maybe more along the lines of what she means.........Harriet?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2010 at 4:13pm
Thanks everyone!  Got all the suggestions recorded and sorted, some are clearly rising to the top of the "priority" list.

re: Serial numbers - I intend to cover them completely in the "Spotters Guide", but since they're often missing, the guide will also include all the physical characteristics to look for.  It will be a stand-alone document, printable, to use as a reference when scoping out an "unknown" vehicle.

re: Rebuilds - for specific "parts", I think these deserve their own section(s).  They could be incorporated w/in the Parts Project descriptions, or on their own.

I'm thinking an FAQ should be about issues that are NOT covered at all by the factory manuals (or covered so poorly as to be misunderstood), and issues beyond/outside the scope of the original manuals (parts swapping, modifications, modern/alternative procedures/parts, etc.).

Where they get located (forum or stand-alone web page) isn't too important for now, as long as we know right where to go for the answers.  They can always be moved around later for better organization.

It will be a work-in-progress, never really complete, and needing lots of input from everyone to accomplish.  So if you've got a "pet" issue you'd like to see addressed, write it up & post it!  The FAQ is a moderated forum right now, with "approval" needed for general viewing, but it can be done and discussed here for general consensus to a "final" version.

From responses so far, "Electrical" issues top the list (general wiring, horn, ammeter, 12v conversions, starting, etc., etc.), then comes "serial numbers" (and general identification), parts colors, clutch issues, carb issues, plus 20 some more.  Bring 'em on!

Sean

Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2010 at 5:21pm
Sorry, not paying attention (other hobbies get in the way you know!)
When I first started out on the odyssey (5 years ago), I kept hearing things like "Toe Gusset" and it took me an age to find out where it was! I literally needed a map of where the numbers were on the body.
So, having looked at the information now available, please ignore me!
But ... (you knew it was coming, didn't you?) Roc is right, I would like to see that stand alone database highlighted more so that it can be found easier.
Hug
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2010 at 6:26pm
Posted a preliminary "Serial Number" FAQ.  The "inexact" numbers need more explanation, but hoping it makes some visual sense.
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2010 at 8:39pm
Sean, that's EXACTLY what I needed at the start (although that was a while ago, I know).
That's another beer I owe you!

Stunning work, thank you!
Hug
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2010 at 9:00pm
........Big smile   Clap   Beer .........

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2010 at 10:10pm
It's great information, of course.   I would prefer that the @ symbol not be used for "approximately" as I think you intend it.  I think that it can be misconstrued as meaning "at" so I'd rather see either "approx." or "roughly" or the tilde ("~") if space is a concern.

Harriet, are you aware of Sean's own Web site where very similar information has existed for some time?

If you search the forum for "CJ-2A Identification", you should find several links to it.  I mention the site because it is a treasure trove of information.  http://www.cj-2a.com

Edited by samcj2a - 27 Jan. 2010 at 10:27pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2010 at 8:45am
SAm, yes, and it's invaluable!
But what I was trying to think of was what I desperately needed when I first started out! If I felt that way, I'm sure there will be others just as needy!!!!!
I find when you're looking for information one of two things happen - either I can't find as much as I need, or it's information overload. But either way, it's lovely when you can find it easily!!!!
Hug 
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2010 at 2:12pm
Good Morning Sean,
Not actually a FAQ...but, I forget about Dr Vern's site and all that information there...many FAQ are answered there too. Some rebuilds there too of course...just wanted to bring it up as a reminder to the project.
Howard
Edit, I guess what I was thinking about is the idea of attaching appropriate links within a particular subject. I assume that is already in place.

Edited by Howard - 29 Jan. 2010 at 2:26pm
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 6:40pm
Sean, just a few more Frequently Asked Question that I didn't spedifically listed in this thread yet. 

Not listed in any paticular order:
- How to Flat tow a Jeep?
- How to rebuild a carb?
- Not getting spark?
- Where to buy parts?
- Lifting a 2A? (Not what I consider 2A page material but the question comes up a LOT. So can we help put this to bed with a FAQ section?)
- How to remove rear drums?
- Knuckle pudding

Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>