Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Farm Collector magazine article

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Farm Collector magazine article
    Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 6:00pm
I posted the following at FarmJeep.com today -

Telling the Farm Jeep Story

Since 2002, Evan and I have shared this site for our own pleasure and hope that others enjoy it too.  A series of events has caused me to take a different direction from all play and no work.  I have become more concerned with preserving the Farm Jeep history.  And a recently published article has me asking another question - who should tell these stories?

The December 2018 issue of Farm Collector magazine contains an article titled “The Farm Jeep-- Low-cost alternative to the tractor couldn’t cut it on the farm” by Darrel Wrider.  Even before reading the article, I was offended by the title. How could anyone say such negative things about our beloved Farm Jeep?  How could the author have made so many mistakes?  How could the editor allow this to happen?  I lost sleep trying to figure out how to correct this injustice.

I contacted the author at the provided email address, trying my best to appear to be a calm rational being.  I asked him for his Jeep story, the one that had led him to write the article.  He replied that he didn’t really have a Jeep story and in fact had never seen a Farm Jeep.  He just thought it would be a fun article to write and gathered his information from the Web.  He hadn’t found farmjeep.com in his searches.

How could this happen?  Don’t we of the Willys community have exclusive rights to these stories?  After more fuming, a letter to the editor and more lost sleep, it finally occurred to me that the answer is simple.  In this day and age there are no such niceties as staying in your own lane.  Mr. Wrider has every right to publish what he wishes for fun or profit and is not beholding to anyone.  The Web is where we get our information, factual or otherwise.  Like it or not, Mr. Wrider beat me to the punch with his story.  I am saddened that the article readers will have a very incomplete introduction to the Farm Jeep.  But the article is also an unbiased assessment based on the data Mr. Wrider had in front of him.

So. who should tell the Farm Jeep stories?  I know for certain that we are blessed with members of the Jeep community who have worked to preserve history.  While researching the four companies that produced the Farm Jeep lifts, certain names kept appearing.  We have authors and publishers.  We have a wealth of knowledge that needs to be preserved and shared.

What is to be done?  My wish for the New Year is that the keepers of the Farm Jeep history will continue to share the told and untold stories through whatever means they have.  In the forums, in articles or on the Web.  We should tell the story and soon.  There is already a segment of the public whose impression of the Farm Jeep is that it was a short-lived failure.   Say it ain’t so….

Barry

==================
Hope you will join in on the discussion.
https://www.farmjeep.com/
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 11:57am
Should have added that the article can be seen here -

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 2:03pm

Barry,

The farm Jeep story is like the old Universal Jeep story and even the old Military Jeep story.

The farm Jeep story just needs to be told perhaps as part of the early Jeep story.

The Farm Jeep Farm could plow a Victor Garden or break the ground a man and a mule would break.  It could run augers, elevators, plus other tasks and still be used for a run into town.  But it was not going to plow 80 acres like a tractor - but you would not take the tractor into town to pick up spare parts.  It was replaced eventually by heavy dedicated equipment designed for this specific role.

The Universal Jeep could be used off road, as a tug at an airport or in industry, it was great on poor roads or in bad weather and other activities.  It could be set up with a little tow truck hoist, a snow plow, a front or rear winch and a group of other attachments.  But it was a light vehicle and would not do the work a heavy truck would do.  It too was replaced by larger, heavier equipment as technology and the country progressed.

The Military Jeep was a light vehicle and had a wide range of uses.  It could pull a small cannon, trailer, be mounted with light weapons and carry 4 people.  It worked well for its intended purpose.  But it too was replaced by heavier equipment as the needs of the military changed. 

It is interesting that today we are seeing a resurgence of small vehicles that fit the roles that the early Jeeps met.   On the farm and in industry you see the UTV's like the Gator, off road you see the UTV like the Razor and in the military, you see UTV like the Polaris MRZR4.  None of these vehicles meet the range of activities that the early Universal Jeeps preformed. 

Edited by Stev - 26 Nov. 2018 at 2:05pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 4:26pm
Stev,

I just finished publishing a series of articles in the Dispatcher on the making of the farm jeep.  While doing research I gained a real appreciation for the Jeep, but more so for the engineers who designed and built the add-on farm equipment.  I also learned of information that is in the hands of individuals that I think some day will shed even more light on the Jeep's place in agricultural history.  My wish is that the holders of this information will share it now.  That was my real purpose in writing the note.

I display our CJ3a with a Newgren lift and plow around the midwest.  I try, through a display of period ads, reprints of the special equipment books and informational signs, to tell the Farm Jeep story and its role in our agricultural history.  What I attempt to do is to address the questions I've heard over the years and try to set the record (as I see it) straight about the Jeep's history.  I can't tell you the number of times people have asked me if the 3a was a converted WWII jeep and how many more times I've heard "I never knew."

My concern with Mr. Wrider's  article is that it is narrowly focused and based solely on what he read on the internet.  If he had taken a wider view, as you have, that would have been great.  Some of Mr. Wrider's information is just flat out wrong.  But like all things internet it is out there to stay. 

I have had many people suggest that I write an article for Farm Collector.  I wrote them in August, but didn't hear back until September.  I was then told that someone had beaten me to the punch with a Farm Jeep story.  I knew the article was to be printed in December and was given the author's name, but his wasn't a name I had heard of before.  So I am blaming myself for not being more proactive.  I hope to do better.

Barry

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 6:14pm
Barry,

I had our 1948 CJ2A "farm" Jeep (with it's rear PTO, PTO Shield, Novi Governor and draw Bar) and our 1946 Universal Jeep (set up as a trial Jeep with it's front PTO winch) at a car show near my house this summer.  I put an information sheet on both Jeeps.  Only one guy knew that some old Jeeps came with rear PTOs.  Most people had never even seen a flat fender Jeep.  Which takes me back to telling the story about the three main types of Jeeps from the 1940s and 1950s.

I think it is great to see the guys on Youtube out driving early Jeeps in Colorado and other places - They are exposing a new generation to these wonderful old machines.

Yesterday, I had the garage were the 1948 is stored open and a few guys stopped bye - one of the guys (maybe 40 years old) said what is that thing on the back?  His dad (70+ year old guy) said it was a PTO.  The guy then said what is a PTO?

Someone needs to tell the story.  My father in-law was a full time farmer and he will tell you that the frames were just too light on Jeeps for them to do field work like a tractor.  

Just keep telling the story.

Stev

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 8:13pm
I tried to post this comment on their website didn't seem to take maybe it will show up later:

Superficial and poorly researched article containing factual inaccuracies such as: "The "Jeep Tractor," a stripped-down version of the Farm Jeep, was introduced in 1952.", "Production of the Jeep Tractor ended in 1950." The article says that the CJ2a was priced out of the market yet over 200,000 were produced and sold. Willys did not stop production of civilian jeeps during the Korean War. The Jeep was never marketed as tractor specifically,with the exception of the Farm Tractor, but could be used as a tractor and adapted to other farm jobs by installing recommended and tested equipment which served the farmer very well. The Jeep did not become a recreational vehicle vehicle until the 1970's and was very successful as a farm and industrial tool for over 25 years.

DonH

1946CJ2A
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 12:32pm
DonH,

Your comments did appear, and I'm going to add my own.  I hadn't even noticed the comments feature, so thank you posting.  It makes me feel better that at least in the online version there will be some error correction.

Barry
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 3:05pm
Who came up with the silly Idea jeeps did not become recreational vehicles until the 70's? There were jeep clubs all over the country in at least the late 50's The Salem Oregon Jeep Club organized in early 65 my dad was a charter member. The Northwest Jeep assosiation was going strong doing Yamborees before that.

Around here there was only very very limited use of jeeps in farming. I know one guy who ran a spray business with a couple. And one or two that used them as a support rig. But my knowlege only goes back to about 1961-2.

Dads first jeep was a 49 3A bought as a hunting fun rig in 58.

So I call bunk on the idea they weren't toys until the 70's
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 3:53pm
I think he was referring to what the company was making them for, but he is still off a few years because they made the surrey which was intended for recreation.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I think he was referring to what the company was making them for, but he is still off a few years because they made the surrey which was intended for recreation.

Jim

I've found a few instances of the CJs being shown for recreational use.  There is the iconic scene in the Fred Coldwell and Daron Wanberg restored films of a guy driving to the middle of a mountain stream to start fly fishing (https://cj3b.info/BookCJ1.html).     A very early ad appears in Patrick Forster's The Story of the Jeep book showing an early 2a pulling a small house/camping trailer with the caption "When the "Jeep" isn't working it will help your family enjoy life in the open."  But I don't believe it was until the late 1960s, early 1970s when ads went from work - farm, business delivery, service stations etc. - to Jeeps are for fun.

After 1956, I've had problems finding print ads of any kind.  I did find one in a mid-1960s mining and engineering magazine the shows steel-helmeted men in a Jeep at a work-site.   But no farm equipment.  I continue my search and would appreciate seeing an ads from 1956 to 1966 you might come across, regardless of content.

Barry
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 5:19pm
The Surrey DJ2 was created for use in resorts and theme parks so I guess that is a recreational business use.

DonH
1946CJ2A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2018 at 2:16am
This whole original article sounds like something coming from someone who thinks history started only on the day he was born.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
monroe3pt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monroe3pt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 4:42pm
I tried to post the following comment to Mr. Wrider's article. It appears that comments may be disabled at this time. In case it does not show up over time, here is basically what I tried to say:

Kudos to Mr. Wrider for bringing the Farm Jeep and Jeep Tractor to the attention of readers who may otherwise not have previously been aware of these vehicles. A word of caution however to those who may be interested in learning more on this subject. From someone who has for the past 30 years been researching the subject of 3-point hitchs as used on Jeeps, Power Wagons, ATC Terratrac tractors, LeRoi Centaur tractors, and Empire tractors, etc., and collecting information on them, I can confidently say that current information on the subject, as found on the internet, can typically be misleading at best if not just unabashedly wrong to put it bluntly. The best source of information on the subject to date is to be found in vintage dealer issued manuals, sales literature, patent applications, and period newspaper and magazine articles from the 1940's through the 1960's. As an author with several published articles covering the subject of farm related jeeps, trucks, and implements, I urge those interested to take what they find on the internet with a grain of salt, cross reference everything,  and to keep researching. As they say, "The thrill is in the chase."

And a special nod to Barry Thomas and farmjeep.com for tirelessly researching, compiling, and recording this obscure information. Well done!

Junior
Spence and Junior Farms
 Post Reply Post Reply