Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father & son 48 CJ2a project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Father & son 48 CJ2a project
    Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 7:53pm
I have always been a car guy and have restore a couple of early Mustangs. However, my son has never been into cars but he IS a huge military history buff. When he came to me asking if we could restore an "Army" Jeep together I just at the chance to connect with him. (I know this isn't a real military Jeep).  I put out some feelers and found this one in Missouri. After lengthy discussions with the seller and getting video of it driving around d the yard, I made the arrangements and my son and I hit the road for the 12 hr round trip. 

What I know:
It's a 1948
Original Go Devil Runs very good. Appears that it probably went through a "restoration" at some point in its life. 
Possibly lifted. Currently has shackles and 235/75/16 mud tires.
Metal sheet laid over the complete sides and rear floor.

We have driven it on the street. Runs well but steering is sketchy and the tires ride like they're square.

We just tore down the front axle and found that it has the Bendix jointed shaft on the passenger side and a Spicer joint shaft on the driver side. The Spicer shaft was covered in rust as it appears that the knuckle held water and there was no grease of any kind in it. 

I will keep up the progress here. 

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 8:15pm
J Wilson645,

Welcome to the CJ2A Page!

I hope you can keep you son engaged with  the project.

One thing you might consider is to fix the Jeep in components (front axle) and then put the Jeep back on the road between projects.  That way it will remain interesting and you can go on some adventures along the way. 

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 8:34pm
X2 on what Stev said...

Fix the steering and drive it...or even better, let your son drive it!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jwilson645 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 8:46pm
That is what we have been doing. I have done the "tear it completely down and take forever to finish it" schedule before. LOL

First we got all of the lights working. 
Next we went through the fuel system.

Now we are on the front axle. Ordering parts this week so we can get it back in this weekend. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 10:40pm
Here are the photos I got from the previous owner when I was in negotiations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 10:43pm
Roadtrippin.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 10:47pm

When we got it, it was running off of a 1gallon lawn mower tank and an electric fuel pump. After getting all of the light working, we put in a new fuel tank and lines. I taught my son how to rebuild the fuel pump and now we can drive more than a mile. LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 10:56pm

Here we are up to this past weekend. Cleaning and checking out the front axle. Driver's side is nasty.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 11:47pm
Wow, that's two new member projects from Alabama in one week!

Welcome to the Page.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 3:51pm
Love it!!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Love it!!

Grampa's Jeep!  We love your videos. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by jwilson645 jwilson645 wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Love it!!

Grampa's Jeep!  We love your videos. 

Thank you!
Come on  out. We'll give it a rip.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2021 at 2:14am
Jwwilson welcome to the page! You have a great looking Jeep. Better yet you have a “father/son” project. They are the best! I’ve been blessed to have been on both side of that dynamic. And now our grandson is building his. (Elmo)  Look forward to seeing it’s progress. Everything you need to know about your “Flatty” you can find on theses pages. 

Best of “fun”. 

Fuzz
Fuzz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2021 at 2:09pm
My apologies to everyone for the sideways pictures.  They were correct before I uploaded them. I'm not sure why they turned sideways.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 10:49am
It's been a while but we have continued work on our '48.  The front axle is done and yesterday we started replacing the front frame horns. There was additional bars welded onto them for some type of implement. Whatever it was cracked the frame right over the radiator crossmember. 

Edited by jwilson645 - 20 June 2022 at 10:50am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 10:52am
Extra metal for some sort of attachment

Edited by jwilson645 - 20 June 2022 at 4:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwilson645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 4:06pm
Piece broken off steering box.
 Post Reply Post Reply