Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Does anyone have the hole size and location for the PTO hole in the rear bumper?

Run a line down the centers of the two leftmost holes for the pintle hook.  At 3-1/4" left of that line and 2-1/2" below a line across the centers of the two bottom pintle hook holes should be the center of your 1-1/2" PTO hole.  That's what I measured on two frames.

I forgot to add the above to what I said earlier.  It's kinda important to use the centerlines of the holes...  Embarrassed
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 4:02am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Thanks Rick! I saw your jeep on Youtube after looking up these tires! Very nice rig you have there! How does it run with those big tires? Im assuming you have 5.38's and an L-head??  The revolver shackles were on aftermarket springs when I got the jeep so It sat pretty high. I dont think they ever drove it with them on there. I put stock shackles back on it and that lowered it about 1.5" The springs are beyond stiff...

Thx for the compliment, Seth.  Yes, I’m running the L134 and 5.38s.  I really like my tires but they are tall!  In higher altitudes, like Colorado, they really pull the little Go-Devil down quite a bit.  Here at home, they do pretty good on the street (easily 50 mph), but certainly not for the highway.  I love the width and tread for sure.  I might recommend the exact same tire but in 32” if someone was trying to decide which ones to buy.  There is nothing like NDTs on the coolness factor, but they do have a few limitations, at least for us mortals.  Stan and Jpet pretty much drive them anywhere they want.  Just depends on how you will wheel the jeep.  

Your springs sound like mine; there is no flex whatsoever.  Depending on what you want to do with this jeep, you’ll need to alter them to get some flex.  Thats one of my projects this winter.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 5:21am
Yeah I was thinking about removing some leaves until it shows some flex.... I also thought about putting my stock springs back on and going with some 7.00-16's. But, I will probably wait until I get the body on and see how things sit. I think a 32x9 would be perfect. 

sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 2:55pm
Hey Millennium falcon. Where about in Central Pa. do you live?  That is a good jeep to start with. Body looks pretty decent. Like the looks of those tires as well.
Mark
1946 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 2:59pm
Thanks Sparky, im near williamsport Pa.... 

Originally posted by sparky13 sparky13 wrote:

Hey Millennium falcon. Where about in Central Pa. do you live?  That is a good jeep to start with. Body looks pretty decent. Like the looks of those tires as well.
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 3:28pm
That cool you are doing that with the kids, i hope to do the same one day! 
Marco
1951 M38
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 3:28pm
Very cool project!  You get more bang for your buck when you start off with someone else's unfinished project.  I'll be following! ... and welcome aboard!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 3:39pm
I don't want to hijack the build thread on your beautiful rig, so if this turns into a discussion we might want to move it somewhere else, but since your are in the decision stage of things, here's some food for thought that I caveat with the fact that the only jeep I have ever owned or driven is my "mostly stock" 48 CJ2A. But I have driven it a lot in the past 3 or 4 years on some pretty challenging trails.

The more I drive my rig, the more I am convinced that lower is better than higher. Or maybe I should say lower is safer than higher. I have watched hours of video of the various trails that I plan to ride because I don't have a roll bar or seat belts and I want to be prepared to successfully and safely negotiate the  tough obstacles. I don't recall ever seeing a stock height flat fender go over back wards or roll completely over sideways. I know it can and does happen, but I haven't seen the video.

I do occasional have some belly clearance issues, and I have lots of scraps on my skid plate. but only one time did I feel like I had a chance of rolling, and even that, I believe, would only have been a side flop if I had not been able to get it stopped in time.

Somewhere there is a tipping point where the downside of lifting a rig, thus raising the center of gravity and the ease of rollover, overcomes the upside of more clearance.  Especially with our short wheel bases. 

Like I said, just food for thought.

2 videos, first one a high powered, built up CJ flipping in a flash on the Escalator obstacle in Moab.

2nd vid, Grampa's Jeep with me riding along doing the same obstacle.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 3:53pm
Stan.... I have been following you for a long time on youTube and have always loved how well your little jeep does! Stock is definitely tempting. Still not sure what way to go. I just dont have money to buy tires at the moment. If I could find someone that wanted to trade for 700x16's that would be temping. Another thing to consider is that we have zero terrain like you do around here. Most of my wheeling is muddy trails with water crossings and logs to crawl over so some extra height is helpful. We dont have much steep rock climbs like you do out west.....unless you go to some of the off road parks. Im going to get the jeep together and roadworthy then decide what to do from there. I appreciate all the info... keep it coming! Smile
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 4:20pm
Hi Seth,

There is nothing wrong with running those swampers till you decide what you want to do.  Is it just the 4 or is there a spare too?  What type of tread are you looking for in a 700x16?

.... also, what are you doing with those revolver shackles?  I've heard pros and cons, but I wouldn't mind trying them out to see for myself what the fuss is all about.

Edit:  That round fender did have a pretty high CG, but his line was terrible.

Edited by jpet - 21 Nov. 2017 at 4:22pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 4:34pm
I would be happy with a traction king style tread or an NDT... or even a mud radial in a 245/70-16. I only have the 4 swampers.... The tread is in really good shape. I dont believe they have many miles on them. I have the revolver shackles for sale in the classifieds on here. I would sell them for $200 for all 4. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 11:08pm
Saul helping me make templates for my new seat back pans! What a helper!!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 12:01am
Good job!  I wish I would have been into jeeps back when my kids were little. Missed out on some good jeep memories.  .... oh well, I couldn’t afford it back then anyway
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 12:32am
I know doing the seats is a bit out of order...but Its something small that I can do to completion in a short time. This will give me some sense of accomplishment. Haha! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 6:12am
Seats are ready for paint! I wanted to keep them original, but they pans were swiss cheesed in a bunch of spots. One leg was also a goner. I was did save the stock mount and just patched it up. I am happy with how they turned out. I am going to paint them tomorrow and install the cushions. 

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 1:18pm
Nice start to a project,  and nice work so far.   This will be a fun thread to follow.

You have a great helper there.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 1:57pm
Looks like you guys are making great progress!! It's nice to see kids out in the garage getting their hands dirty.... My helpers are four and six, sometimes it difficult to keep them focused and on task.... I will always remember one time I spent all morning cleaning out the inside of gas tank, I turned around for one minute and they were putting sticks, rocks and sand from the driveway into the filler hole Cry... Mischievous boys!
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 4:01pm
Great project you picked up and it looks like both of you are having fun. It is always neat see all the folks on this page building flatties in their garage, barn, driveway, yard, etc. You might go ahead and start making room in your garage because chances are when you get this flatty done your son will be wanting to build one for him. Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 36>