Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2018 at 3:26am
Yes, I love these engines! This is my daily driver. Nozzles and malone stage 3 tune. Great little engine. even towing the camper im getting 40+ 

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2018 at 5:39am
great work on the adapter plate and crank hub , that is going to be a great combo
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2018 at 5:47am
Thanks for the encouragement Andy, Im going to need it.. I set the engine in the frame just now to get an idea....and I realized just how much this thing doesn't want to go in there. The biggest issue is the steering box and how far back the drive train is. This engine is tiny but the front edge of the bell housing is recessed about an inch behind the firewall. I just stared at it for about an hour trying to come up with a game plan. I need to find some inspiration! haha. Im taking a day or two off from working on it to see what I can come up with. On a positive note.....I will have plenty of clearance for the hood. and the differential misses the oil pan. 

Here are some shots for perspective. 

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2018 at 5:50pm
Great build and I love the VW diesel swap idea. Years ago I had a Rabbit 1.5 diesel for a daily driver. 50+ mpg on the highway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 3:58am
Ive been loosing some steam. Lots of obstacles. My plate came today so I can start working on the block adapter. I holding off on anything else until my new starter gets here. That will pretty much make or break this project for me. If the starter doesnt clear the turbo im kinda dead in the water. so.....friday I will find out. If it clears then im going ahead full steam....if it doesnt, the l-head may be going back in. 

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 11:15am
fingers crossed it works for you!  Friend stopped by that put a kubota in his CJ-5.  First words were, man that thing will fly.  Last year he drove his to Alaska with a few other Jeepers.  He said tough engine to find.  He had to cut part of his firewall and make a new piece to weld in to get his to fit.  Never notice it.

Edited by McG - 22 Feb. 2018 at 11:18am
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 1:09pm
2A Page readers are holding our collective breath for the arrival of the new starter (presumably very compact) and the mock-up that hopefully will validate your "Willyswagen" concept. I'm hoping the starter will be the enabler! Relocating the turbocharger is a non-starter.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 1:20pm
Thanks Luzon, Im holding my breath too..... Im really hoping that this works out, but i'm also trying to be realistic. Fingers crossed that the starter fits. Turbo re-location would be my first thought as well, sadly the VW turbo is integrated into the exhaust manifold. Ive heard a passat tdi manifold would fit with removable turbo. That would allow me to raise up the turbo. But your talking big bucks for the manifold and new turbo. Tracking number on my starter says it will be here tomorrow. I only need an inch or two of clearance to make this happen. I dont want to cut the firewall until im 100% sure Its plausible. I will try to not keep you guys waiting in suspense for too long. Geek

Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

2A Page readers are holding our collective breath for the arrival of the new starter (presumably very compact) and the mock-up that hopefully will validate your "Willyswagen" concept. I'm hoping the starter will be the enabler! Relocating the turbocharger is a non-starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 1:40pm
I found a drawing of the block. This will be helpful in playing out my plate. My template got me close but now I can make it exact. 

Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 1:53pm
Hope it works out. You have gone to a lot of work for it being a bust. I know people have put tdi's in flat fenders before, but don't know all of the obstacles they have encountered. Good Luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 1:37pm
im hoping the starter will work out because i put in a lot more time today laying out, boring, and milling my plate. I will still need to drill it for the transmission, but the VW block side is done. It took a long time to mill out the center hole. My machine is small so lots of little passes. I still have to trim it up some and cut the starter area out. I did bore the back side for the VW dowel pins. So far so good.  

I guess this adapter was made by Kaiser Willys... haha! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 9:58pm
The starter has arrived. It looks good. Nice and compact and it can me indexed so that should help with turbo clearance. We are headed out for the evening so wont have time to test fit it until later. I also mounted my engine plate and marked out the bell housing holes. It will hopefully all fall into place soon. Updates to come!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 6:12am
Well the moment has finally come..... Its kinda bitter sweet. I have been really excited to bolt everything up, but also have been stressed about the starter/turbo clearance. Im kinda hinging the project on this.

So.....My starter came and i milled down the side of my engine plate where the started goes so I could test fit it. It was really close to the turbo so I drilled an extra set of holes in the clocking ring to swing the motor down farther away from the turbo. Its better but still close. The starter is cast into the bell housing so Im kinda stuck with it there. I think I can get creative with an elbow to make the down pipe go upward a few inches to give the starter extra room, but Im worried its going to cook the starter. Maybe i can make some sort of heat shield/header wrap, turbo cover or something. What are your thoughts? Ive heard some guys that do toyota truck tdi swaps often have starter clearance issues. Im not sure if its a problem or just an inconvenience. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 25 Feb. 2018 at 6:17am
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 1:31pm
Falcon: First, congrats on your superb adaptor design, engineering and machining. The new starter package looks OEM!
Second, yes--the turbo housing (which is essentially a big heat sink) appears too close for comfort. Starter electronics are typically pretty robust, however. In any case, looks like your only route for the exhaust outlet is to take it up and over the starter, minimally looping to the right and over the side of the starter motor. It doesn't appear (from your photo) that you'll be able to create a bend so tight that it drops straight down and under the starter assembly. If you can make the up-and-over outlet pipe work, I'd say a foil-based heat shield between starter and pipe would be a good idea.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 3:02pm
I haven't messed with turbos in automotive applications enough to say I have (marine and ag applications though), but if it was me, exhaust header wrap around the pipe in addition to heat shield.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 4:27pm
thanks guys. I’m happy to see it finally coming together. I’ve been talking to some guys on another forum about Toyota and samurai swaps. They have the same starter issues. They shared some pictures and personal experience with me. Sounds like header wrap and careful routing will do the trick. Very few heat related starter issues reported from the Toyota guys. I will see if I can find a Toyota picture.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 1:24am
Adapter kit is done! 

Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 1:31am
Very nice!Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 36>