Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 1:04pm
Wow, thanks Bryan. I would love to see you build something cool!

sorry for the lack of updates....... I have been working on the jeep here and there.

Rolled it outside for some photos with the hood and fenders on. 

I got the hood blocks done and headlight buckets done....

I wired up my marker lights. 

I took it for a spin around the yard. It ran great, but anytime I gave it a little throttle only one wheel would peel......So I knew something was up! Pulled it back in the shop and jacked it up.... Spun the the tires and I knew some thing was broken.. :( 

Pulled the diff cover and confirmed it had a broken axle! Thank you previous owner. Ahh the joys of buying a vehicle you cant test dive! haha! So I spent the day beating with a hammer to get the broken axle out of the housing and another day disassembling the locker to extract the broken off nub out of the carrier and stoning all the burs. Now its mostly back together but I am redesigning the rear caliper brackets. they ones it came with we poorly designed and in my  opinion dangerous. So im a few days behind schedule. I have to get this back together and wire up the turn signals and tail lights. My plate should get here in about 10 days. My goal is to have the jeep done and waiting when it gets here. We will see if I can make it happen. 

Here is the damage.

I have some videos from the maiden voyage. I will upload them to youtube and post soon! 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 1:23pm
I really like that you are keeping the stock look externally.  Such a cool build.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 1:48pm
Wow Man!!! Really SWEET Thumbs Up Working the bugs out....That looks like a nice yard to tool around in...
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 2:36pm
That jeep is awesome looking. It looks grey inside and blue when it is outside.  I see that you have extra holes underneath your marker lights too. Mine has them as well. Not sure what the holes are for though.  Tell us more about that Cj5 sitting back there.  That one looks pretty nice too.
Mark
1946 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 2:58pm
WOW!!!!!!Clap

That is so awesome. 
Thanks for sharing your amazing project with us. 
I did a double take on the color as well. 

Looking forward to seeing more Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 10:10pm
Nice!

By the way, I've heard (both on the internet and in thermodynamics classes in college) that black heat exchangers work better than silver ones.  So if you don't like how apparent the intercooler is through the grill, painting it black might actually make it work better as well.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 11:35pm
Thanks! The cj5 is a jeep that ive had since i was 16. It gets driven quite a bit still to this day. It is a 1978 but has had a lot mods. It has a Mercedes 3.0L turbo diesel, t-18 4-speed, super dana 18 with a saturn overdrive and I chopped down the amc20 axle and made it off-set so work with the dana 18. It has flanged 1-piece axles. 

Here it is with the little camping trailer I built a few years ago. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 11:41pm
Interesting fact on the black intercooler. I never really though about it.  
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 11:43pm
The diesel CJ5 and adventure trailer is a cool rig. No wonder you had a clear vision on the 3A/VW diesel project. How does the trailer behave behind the jeep on the road?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 11:47pm
I have turn signals that are going in the lower holes. They were already in the grill and fit my lights just right so I left them there. 

Originally posted by sparky13 sparky13 wrote:

That jeep is awesome looking. It looks grey inside and blue when it is outside.  I see that you have extra holes underneath your marker lights too. Mine has them as well. Not sure what the holes are for though.  Tell us more about that Cj5 sitting back there.  That one looks pretty nice too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 11:53pm
Thanks we have really had a lot of fun with that camper. The kids love it! It tows nicely. The jeep isnt that fast but it will roll along at 55 with the trailer without too much drama. Loaded it weighs around 1500lbs.  When we go on long trips we tow it with my 4runner and it goes 70mph no problem. :) 

Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

The diesel CJ5 and adventure trailer is a cool rig. No wonder you had a clear vision on the 3A/VW diesel project. How does the trailer behave behind the jeep on the road?
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2018 at 12:02am
both jeeps look great! keep the axle part for a handy paper weight 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2018 at 1:15am
I really like your wheel choice on both jeepsClap
The right wheels can really make a jeep look good. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2018 at 12:31pm
Outstanding work all the way around(body, paint, motor, ect.) Guys like you restore my faith in the younger gen, gen, generation. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2018 at 1:55pm
THanks guys... I totally agree about wheels making or breaking the look of a jeep. Ive always had a thing for almond colored solid steel wheels. 

Good Idea on the paper wight Jeeper!  I cant take credit and have no cool story about how it broke but its still a good conversation starter decorative piece. 

Thanks Waydoyado, I guess its in my blood.. I ve give credit to my Dad and Grandad for my desire to create things. Ive always loved taking things apart and (trying) to put them back together. Just ask my mom.... haha! I would disassemble and destroy all my new toys. haha! Not much has changed over the years. Im trying to instill the same in my son. The funny thing is that my daughter has actually shown more interest in mechanical stuff than my son. I love seeing her get her hands dirty! 

So, since I had my axle completely tore down I figured it would be a good time to fix the rear brake setup that came with my jeep It was a sketchy bubba bracket that was shimmed out really far from the flange and only used two bolts. It was made from 1/4" steel. The caliper wiggled all over when you grabbed it.  I made a new bracket that 3/8" steel, it catches 3 bolts, and it bolts directly to the flange with no shims. Should be much stronger. 

Cleaned up and ready for paint. 

Old sketchy bracket

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 3:04pm
Well......3 days later Im back to where I was before I discovered the broken axle. I installed a replacement from a spare rear I have. It really made me realize that a trail side axle repair would not be easy. One of the axle nuts came off easily with a 1/2" ratchet, The other needed impact....heat, and hammer. I also had one hub pop off with the puller and a light tap.... the other needed to go in the press. It took all of the 30 tons and then finally exploded off. No way the puller/hammer method would have worked on the trail. 

Done! Now on to turn signal/tail light wiring! 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 21 Apr. 2018 at 3:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:26am
First drive video! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 6:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 36>