Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:36am
made some adjustments to the MC rod. Breaks are feeling pretty good. I installed my new KYB shocks. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 04 May 2018 at 1:45am
rpatowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpatowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 4:54am
Very nice -  great project. You are a little ahead of my '47 CJ 2a project now, although I hope to be driving it by the end of the month. I've been working on mine for 3 1/2 years! I did take a few 1-month breaks from it. That and I'm very slow and don't know what I'm doing. 

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 2:16pm
Falcon: What sort of road speeds is your VWillys capable of running 'comfortably'? Is it fitted with an overdrive?

Love seeing rural central PA--I went to college at Shippensburg and did a lot of cycling on roads similar to those in your area.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 4:05pm
Right now its completely stock drivetrain...so it runs about the same speed as a stock willys. but i dont lose any speed on steep hills. I maintained 45-50 in 3rd up a pretty substantial grade. I have a saturn overdrive I plan on putting in the jeep I just havent done it yet. Its in my other jeep. that jeep has much higher gears so its not really a necessity. This jeep will benefit more from the OD given the 538 gears.  my speedo jumps around a lot. I need to confirm with the gps but 50 mph in high gear with no OD is 2700 rpm. These engine can easily handle 4000 but 2000 sounds much happier. 35-40 @ 2200 is just about perfect. The 25% OD should put me at 2025 rpm @ 45 That would be awesome. This engine is very smooth from 1500-4000...  I am getting a strange noise that I need to figure out. I cant tell if its drivetrain or a rattle or something loose. It only happens in 3rd gear above 40 mph on bumpy roads.... smooth roads or slower speeds or a different gear and I dont hear it. Id does not seem to be rpm related. I kinda think it may be transfer case but its very intermittent and random. Ive spent about an hour looking at everything and tightening bolts. I even took the PTO cover off and got a mirror everything looks fine. the trans/t-case are 135f after a good drive in 85f degree weather. Any ideas. I would describe the noise as a small child banging a hammer randomly on the underside of the tub to the rhythm of the bumps in the road haha!   
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Right now its completely stock drivetrain...so it runs about the same speed as a stock willys. but i dont lose any speed on steep hills. I maintained 45-50 in 3rd up a pretty substantial grade. I have a saturn overdrive I plan on putting in the jeep I just havent done it yet. Its in my other jeep. that jeep has much higher gears so its not really a necessity. This jeep will benefit more from the OD given the 538 gears.  my speedo jumps around a lot. I need to confirm with the gps but 50 mph in high gear with no OD is 2700 rpm. These engine can easily handle 4000 but 2000 sounds much happier. 35-40 @ 2200 is just about perfect. The 25% OD should put me at 2025 rpm @ 45 That would be awesome. This engine is very smooth from 1500-4000...  I am getting a strange noise that I need to figure out. I cant tell if its drivetrain or a rattle or something loose. It only happens in 3rd gear above 40 mph on bumpy roads.... smooth roads or slower speeds or a different gear and I dont hear it. Id does not seem to be rpm related. I kinda think it may be transfer case but its very intermittent and random. Ive spent about an hour looking at everything and tightening bolts. I even took the PTO cover off and got a mirror everything looks fine. the trans/t-case are 135f after a good drive in 85f degree weather. Any ideas. I would describe the noise as a small child banging a hammer randomly on the underside of the tub to the rhythm of the bumps in the road haha!   

Driveshaft play?
1947 CJ2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 5:54pm
Well, I put the jeep on jack stands and tried to isolate my noise. I can only get the noise with the idling in 3rd gear. Its a loud rattle. I can tell if its the clutch or the parking brake assembly. From the passenger side it really seems like its coming from the parking brake drum area. from the drivers side it sound more towards the front clutch area. I put the trans in 3rd and the t-case in neutral and the noise goes away so that makes me think its not the clutch or transmission. I tried all different speeds and RPMs with the dana18 in neutral.....no noise. Engage the rear drive and the noise comes back. I suppose it could still be the clutch if the drive line lash is causing the noise. I suppose I could pull the inspection cover and try to look listen.  I have no vibration with the clutch in or out at idle or when revving it up. Im stumped. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 6:04pm
The u-joints are new and tight as is the splined joint but the pinion lash feels excessive.... my dads is the same way and his doesnt make this sound. but it could have something to do with it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 11:01pm
well I think I figured it out..... stupid simple if I’m right. Pictures coming soon. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:52am
Your speedo jumps around?  Have you lubed the cable? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:29am
Have you looked in your tool box to see if something is rattling around in there? Another place to look not RPM related and active when on rough road would be something in the suspension. A lose spring hanger or U bolt

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:34pm
Well here is the problem..... My motor mounts must have settled or something. It was close when I put it together.... but not that close! Oh well, at least its an easy fix! 

Yes my speedo bounces +or - 5 mph. I have not lubed the cable. I guess I should give that a try. It could also be related to the routing of the cable. My turbo downpipe kinda is in the way so it may be bound up a little. I will work on that once I get the more pressing issues Ironed out. 

Jpcj2a46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpcj2a46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:41am
Hey what's up finally made an account today I was the one trying to get ahold of you from YouTube videos LOL my email is Jeffs240Zyahoo.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:58am
Hi Jeff! Im glad you made it! Tons of good info on this forum and such intelligent helpful people! Make sure you start a build thread on your jeep! I would love to see some more diesel swaps! 

Originally posted by Jpcj2a46 Jpcj2a46 wrote:

Hey what's up finally made an account today I was the one trying to get ahold of you from YouTube videos LOL my email is Jeffs240Zyahoo.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:55pm
Finally got around to making a drive video....

Edited by Millennium falcon - 09 May 2018 at 1:39pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:32pm
I get an error when I try to play the video. It says to try again later Dead
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I get an error when I try to play the video. It says to try again later Dead

Bummer, How about now? i updated the link. 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:45pm
That works!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:33pm
Falcon, excellent 'drive' video and the walkaround is a bonus! Your 2A is impressively engineered.
I'm curious about relative tire noise with those big-lugged Coopers--not that an open 2A with a diesel engine isn't inherently loud already. Do you hear the tires on pavement at 35-40mph?

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 36>