Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 1:22pm
Thanks Mark, I will see how this goes. If I can get this one straightened out you may be hearing from me. :) 

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I have a spare drivers side fender brace (New) I would sell cheap. Let me know in a PM if your interested it could help you with the fender.

Also if you decide to go with a Repop hood Summit Racing has by far the best price and free shipping. Saved me nearing $150 over everyone else. And its the exact same MD Juan hood.
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 2:54am
Well I think it turned out pretty good! My press is now my best friend! I used two heavy plates and just sandwiched the fender between them and smooshed it smooth! I also had to do a little cutting/welding and hammering. I used a framing square and the grill to make sure my angles were correct and then welded the inner brace in. I also bolted up the rest of the sheet metal to test fit it. It seemed to fit pretty well. I need to slide the fenders up a little. The windshield frame needs some work. The one leg got messed up in the "shed" incident. The frame is brand new other than that... anyone have a frame they would cut the leg off and mail it to me? :)  It is bent....kinked, twisted, and has flat spots... not really sure how to tackle this one.... Grrr.... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 2:56am
More of the bent leg.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 6:06am
I finished up a few loose ends tonight. I made seat stop bracket things..... drilled the holes and mounted the drivers seat. Relocated fuel tank strap mounts and installed tank. I made a little clip mount thing for the rear of the tank. I made a ghetto brace for the tub where it meets the fender well. the stock one was rusted out and I dont have the patience or money to order one. No one will really see it and it does the job.... I also did some misc welding of holes and  other spots that needed filled up/finished. Im pooped! 

CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 4:33pm
Looking great, you've come along way very quickly.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 9:53pm
I'd fix that windshield leg, get it red hot and hammer it back into shape. I basically had to do the same thing to a new repop windshield to get it to fit the way I wanted, may take a while. You're moving right along, looks great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 5:36pm
Well, I got the body set on the frame... My plan is to test fit all the parts and then dissemble for prep and paint. I need some help with reference points for the body mounting bolts. Whoever installed the floor did a crappy job and didnt test fit anything and now I get to clean up the mess! With the grill and fenders bolted up it appears the tub or really just the floor needs to move ahead about an inch. (look at the transfer case levers. But the clearance on the engine head looks pretty close to the firewall already. thats what makes me think just the floor opening is off. If I move the hole tub forward I would have to modify the front fender braces where the bolt to the frame...... but then that would throw things off at the grill.... but if I leaver the tub where it is the body mounts on the frame land on the edge of the hat channels. What should I do?? Would it me a good Idea to make the tub flush with the rear cross member, center it side to side and call it good? then just modify the transmission opening to allow the t-case levers to operate? If you have any ideas throw them at me. And if there is a link or anything to aligning the body to the chassis let me know. Thanks! 

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 6:10pm
I had a similar issue on my tub - just in the opposite direction. The trans opening was too far forward. 

So....I trimmed the opening a bit (about 3/4) to get everything to fit. 

Are you happy with the wheel position in the wheel wells? If so, then you have to decide what to do. 

What I did was cut off the body mounts. Then I made new ones that re-positioned the mounting holes in line with the body. It was relatively simple to do. Granted, not original. But it was an easy solution.  

Just a thought for you. 

PS - in the short time, you've done a ton of work! very impressive.

Edited by nofender - 08 Dec. 2017 at 11:12am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 12:03am
Thanks Nofender! Im hoping to prime and seal the under side of the tub Saturday... So I have a lot to get done. I think I will leave the body where it is, drill new holes in the hat channels, weld the old ones up, and fix the trans opening in the floor. (sorry for the run on sentence) I am happy with the wheel well openings and the rear valance/cross-member thingy alignment. I just really want to do a good job with the trans opening.....one of my pet peeves is a leaking ill-fitting trans tunnel/cover. On a side note I got my windshield brackets today. I am pleased with the windshield fit. Especially considering how bent up it was. The torch did the trick! Its really starting to look like a jeep now! 

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 12:45am
Remember the drivers side rear cross member/ bumper is longer then the passenger side for the license plate.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Remember the drivers side rear cross member/ bumper is longer then the passenger side for the license plate.

That is of course if it is the stock one...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 1:06am
It is not the stock one. It is equal lengths on both sides. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 2:38am
Not only equal lengths, but channel steel instead of the original bent stuff.  Don't line the tub up with the rear crossmember, line it up with whatever holes fit properly, like the carriage bolts in the bed or the ones right behind the riser in front of the rear wheels.  That is, if those holes are correct... may be a bad assumption on my part... 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 5:46am
The holes the original owner drilled are not even close. I am going to get it as close as I can and re-drill/move some mounting points. The hat channels are not quite where they need to be either. I spent several hours tonight fitting and adjusting things. I think I got it all sorted out. Tomorrow I will move on to correcting the trans tunnel fitment issues. Its all this little stuff that is really halting progress! 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Its all this little stuff that is really halting progress! 

But it will be worth it!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 4:52am
Yeah, once you get it moving under its own power, you'll forget all about the trouble it's given you.  Nice work on that front fender, BTW!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 11:10am
Before you know it you’ll be cruising along sucking in the fresh spring air! Looks great man. Nice coverage of your journey. 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 12:36pm
Thanks guys! Yes, It will be nice to enjoy it from the drivers seat... and YES, i am ready for spring! haha its a long ways away. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 36>