Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 11:00pm
I spent many hours today on the WS frame, and I am going insane! this windshield frame is the worst! I installed the cowl gasket and the latches, its not even close to fitting correctly. It wont slide back towards the dash far enough to get the latches to lock. The latches also dont line up with the hooks.... like the windshield isnt centered on the tub... I have tried heating and bending the arms to move the frame where i think it needs to be, But then it throws something else of. I need some reference point or place to start! I am chasing my tail!
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 11:40pm
I had all of the same issues, as far as the latches I found with mine that the bottom of the windshield has to be just about in line vertically with the inside of the dash board for the latches to work correctly. I had to redrill the holes on the side of the cowl where the windshield brackets mount 3 times. If you're using a new gasket it may have to be cut shorter. As far as the arms go it's heat bend repeat and don't think a new one will be any different because mine is all new. Check out my thread "New body prep" under projects,you may see a few things that help. 

Edited by leecarr - 09 Dec. 2017 at 11:51pm
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 12:21am
Leecar beat me to it, but from the pic's it looks like the windshield brackets are closer to the hood than mine. I measured aprox. 2 1/16 where the cowl bends to the top hole, just under 2" up from the seem. Don't let it get to ya, you've done a lot of excellent work to be proud of. Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 5:11pm
Thanks guys. Wadoyado- I will check my pivot mount location... and Leecarr... I just read through your New body thread. thank you so much for sharing that. Im glad im not the only one. your pics and posts were super helpful and gave me some hope. they also stopped me from getting mad and ordering a new frame, because I guess that would likely have had similar issues. I will continue, heat,bend,repeat until it fits! :) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 6:22am

I never thought it would happen, but I think I got it! what a miserable pain in the butt! Next jeep I buy must have windshield installed! I must have had that thing on and off 40 times. And the seal on and off about 12 times so I could heat and bend. I finally got it by installing the seal, bending the legs enough to allow the frame to sit all the way back on the cowl and then tacking a piece of flat stock to show the position where the legs needed to end up. Then I welded and re-drilled the holes for the brackets.  Im so glad that is over with.... 

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 10:37am
nicely done!! Gives me hope for my spare but twisted frame. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 1:00pm
Nice work!
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 1:40pm
THanks guys... this is going to sound silly, ive done diesel swaps, 2 to 4wd conversions, solid axle swaps....auto to manual swaps and this windshield frame has been the most frustrating, challenging this thus far! haha. For the first few days I worked on it....nothing I did seemed to make it better....but its history now!  Time to move on. I need to figure out the bend for the windshield adjuster bracket arms. It appears they need some angle in order for them to clear the frame as the inner windshield frame swings out. I mounted my mirror. I also worked on the trans tunnel. I am doing some fab work on the trans cap, and I had to move the t-case opening forward about 3/4"....it went pretty smoothly and Im happy with the results. I also cut the hole for the t-case lever pin. I know its bigger than it needs to be, but I like having lots of room, to aid in removal and greasing. I should be ready for disassembly and paint prep very soon. 

Paraex79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 6:52pm
Hey MF.......it's tough when you are a perfectionist. Well done, you are doing a great jobClap
Allan Montile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 1:00am
Haha....i suppose I make things more difficult for myself. I just wanted the windshield to fold up and down and lock. And by the end, I didnt even care if it folded down. Its all good now. It will be worth it in the end, I hope. :) 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 1:15pm
I'm going to use an M38 windshield on mine, the one I'm working on now is for someone else. I don't care about it folding and I like the wipers on the bottom. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2017 at 2:32am
Driving a flatfender with the windshield down is almost like riding a motorcycle.  I'm never sure which is more fun, the Jeep or the bike. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 7:32pm
Today made a fire in the wood stove and heated the garage up from 29 to about 55....then I could comfortably work. I worked on repairing the mess the previous owner made with a plasma cutter. The holes for the pedals were a mess. They were off center and the most ridiculous shape. The guy must have been drunk.....Actual a drunk person probably could have done a better job! I welded them shut and re-bored  new holes in the correct location. I also worked some more on the trans cover. Im pretty much ready to pull the tub apart and begin the body work. 

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 9:05pm
Looking good! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2017 at 10:28pm
Today It was warm out and I felt ambitious.... All the bondo on the side of my tub has been bugging me. SO I started peeling it off. I returned the torch I was borrowing so i had to remove it the hard way. Yuck! I dont like bondo. So now I see why that had so much bondo on there. 1/4"+ think in some places. why do people do that! The floor wasnt installed correctly so they pushed the side of the tub in to meet the floor so its not flat. and it appears to have been hammered to death. There are also some rust issues at the cowl seam. I kinda wish I had just left the bondo on there. Now not sure what to do. I really dont feel like replacing the entire outside panel of the tub. the other side is looks about the same....maybe a little better. 

So, would you.....

A)  replace it all
B) Salvage whats there with hammer 
C) Fab and install new panel
D) Cover it back up and pretend i never looked under the bondo

On a positive note my windsheild latch arived today. Its in really nice shape. I got it on ebay in a "misc. parts bag". I got everything in the picture for $17! I dont need the other parts but still way cheaper and better than a Repro latch. 

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 12:45am
I think I have some pieces on my scrap pile that could help you out. You can have them but it's a bit of a drive. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 12:59am
I replaced my lower cowl sections with new panels from Classic Enterprises (the expensive made in the USA ones) and it was a BITCH. If your not working on a rotisserie getting to the flange joint at the top of the Lower cowl section is a nightmare. After all the plug welds installing it and a lot of hammer and dolly work I'll still have some 1/8" deep putty areas. Now I'm no great body guy by any means. But don't expect it to be easy to replace those panels. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 1:15am
If it was me I would just fix it. Work out the lumps and bumps and straighten it up with some filler. Nothing wrong with using fillers as long as it’s not too thick. Next time don’t be so curious!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 36>