Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father son project cj2/3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 5:43pm
Before I set the body on im trying to take care of any issues that will be easier to deal with now. I wanted to check my sector shaft to make sure I don't have one of the bad one and I was greeted with this lovely mess. This jeep is just full of surprises. I cant wait to pull the diff covers! Yuck! 

So here is my other issue. I stuck at trying to figure out my front springs. It had the tall stiff lift on it so I installed a new set of crown "stock springs and I think the seem to far the other way. With them installed I have 3.5" from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame rail.  (dont mind the steering damper stud. That will get cut off soon)

So, then I removed 3 leaves from the lift springs and reinstalled them. With the modified lift springs it measures 5.5" from the axle tube to the frame rail. 

In the rear I have 8.5" with crown A-614 springs. They crown rear springs have way more arch to them than the front springs. 

SO I guess my questions is. Which one should I go with? I plan on running a max tire size of 32" and would like to have some flex. All these measurements were taken with the body off, so I know that will change things slightly once I start adding more weight to it. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 13 Jan. 2018 at 5:48pm
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 5:53pm
Grey would probably look decent. As long as it was a light enough color to give it some contrast. 

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Looks like it's The Family Jeep now.  Extra cool!  How would the wheels look if they were grey? 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 8:44pm
A light grey with a black pinstripe? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 11:10pm
I had some flexible PVC sheets laying around. I used it to make some body mount bushings. This stuff is flexible, has some squish to it, but is also really durable. I have used it for mud flaps, and some other stuff on my truck and around the house. It holds up extremely well. It is 1/8th thick. I made enough I can double them up if needed. 

Mark W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 1:10am
I would assemble those with some Silglyde other wise I think they could be squeaky.

I use this on all my Polyurethane body mounts and various bushings.

https://www.amazon.com/Napa-7651346-Silicone-Lubricating-Compound/dp/B0054DWS1W
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic