Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeling guilty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeling guilty
    Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 12:31am
   Trying to get my little jeep back on track, Ive owned it for thirty years.

To make a long story short...my lil jeep is a salad...mostly. I never new what I had, till I arrived at cj2a page.

It is 17994 frame tag and running gear. Someone way back when, decided they had a rust free body and mounted it to this 1946 cj2a. Turns out it was a dj body, was one of the last dj3a bodies made in 1965. ( been in contact with the dj guys)

Here's where the quilt sets in...I bought a cj2a for parts around ten years ago, ACM 153xxx and have been robbing parts to keep the lil jeep going. The latest part was an early draglink. I think I'm robbing parts off of a mostly stock 1947 !

Believe me I am trying to title all three and I am documenting parts I have robbed.

Maybe my son or his son will have some history one day.

Anyone feel they robbed history?

Edited by blademaker - 10 Oct. 2018 at 1:35am
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 12:55am
Like other here my "CJ2A" is made of several Willys flatfenders, not all 2A's either.

I don't feel guilty about it. All the parts I acquired were from Jeeps so far gone, rusty, missing everything. All the ones I bought were probably heading to the scrap yard anyway.

I'd like to think I am starting my own history with mine and when my kids get it they will continue it.

With that being said I do wish I knew more of the history with the parts I acquired.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 10:53am
Like stated above - my Jeep is a salad as well. That being said, it is 90% real Willys bits. So I take some pride in that. I had fun researching what parts I did use in order to understand their origin. For example - the motor it turns out is from a Willys utility wagon. There are a few very slight differences that had me puzzled. But once I figured out the origin, it all made sense.....and I accidentally learned even more Willys history. 

My goal is to someday do a 2A exactly correct. I know it will be a challenge. But I would love to use all real and original parts - just for the challenge of it. 

The only time I feel guilty is when I have a Jeep so far gone and I have to lay it to rest. That hurts. But some of them, it's just time. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 5:41pm
A while back I posted about a GPW on the side of the road in South Texas. So badly rusted out it was like Swiss cheese. Wrong windshield, wrong wheels on the front, combat rims on the back, wrong seat frames, tool box lids missing. Didn't have the heart to try and flip up the good to look...just made me sad...😭
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 12:05am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

My goal is to someday do a 2A exactly correct. I know it will be a challenge. But I would love to use all real and original parts - just for the challenge of it. 

I would love to be able to do that one day too!
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 2:15am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I would love to be able to do that one day too!

That's my dilemma.. It depends what Oklahoma DMV decides.. Title and previous owner Its 70 years old ....? Bill of sale? Salvage title?

I wish I had every flat that came into my buddys salvage...I've learned ...
grab it all while its still here !

For now.. I have a complete history of the flat fender, in one jeep, 20 years of a 2a 3a dj mb gpw and a 38.

What other vehicle has 20 years of mostly interchangeable parts....maybe thats my nemisis...
Wait... just ordered an overdrive from Herm...

Craig

Edited by blademaker - 11 Oct. 2018 at 2:29am
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 3:01am
I do not feel guilty about getting my Jeep on the road.  It started life as a '52 M38, but it had lost most of the army bolted on stuff and its engine before I  brought it home. "Popeye" has CJ parts, a Pinto engine and spoke wheels with radial tires. It is fun to drive and handled the trails at the FCT with out issues.  
It is not historically correct and I am not going to make it so.  I plan to enjoy it for years.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply