Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fender bracket removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fender bracket removal
    Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 7:48am

What is the best way to remove the fender bracket without ruining the fender. It looks like it is held on by rosette welds.  My old brackets are rusted off where they attach to the frame( 2 bolts). I bought replacement brackets but can't afford new fenders. Someone said to drill out every weld but it seems to me I would end up with a mess b/c there are a lot of welds. Thanks, Thad
Life is short. Buy a jeep
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 8:33am
The best way to do it is drilling the spot welds. You’ll want to work from the bracket side, sand the edges where the bracket is welded and you should see the dimples from the welds.The trick is to only cut as much of the spot weld as necessary and only through the old bracket and not into the fender. You’ll probably still have a few places in the fender that will need repairs and grinding smooth before installing the new bracket, but if you go slowly the damage should be minimal.Though they have their problems, a spot weld cutter may be a good investment for you.
If you lookup spot weld cutting there’s lots of good videos on how to do it.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Stevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 8:44am
Just like 48 wrote go slowly and you'll be fine. I saved an entire dash with a spot weld cutter. Steve
Steve
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 9:31am
Thanks. I did not know about plug cutters. Now another must have tool😂
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 9:50am
Is there a size drill that is used? I assume the welds are of one size and this is an original 46 fender
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 10:18am
You don’t need a spot weld cutter to remove the braces. Because you bought new braces, you could just drill out the weld completely, and weld the new brace back in from the inside of the fender. Easy. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 7:08pm
1/8” starter bit followed by a 5/16” worked for me. A total of18 welds needed to be broken. I started at the bottom and became better working toward the top of fender where it would have been much more noticeable if I messed up. Hope this may help someone.
Thanks for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply