Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiberglass Body Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiberglass Body Question
    Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 3:59am
Hi new member 1st post.
Interested in purchasing 1948 CJ2A it has a fiberglass tub/body.
Inspected potential purchase today and saw body is supported with wooden cross members attached to steel chasis frame and wood liners in floors wells.  These all looked like premanufactured pieces.  My question, were there fiberglass kits years ago that used wood pieces to support the fiberglass?  Guessing this could be an older restoration? Which needs a redo  Thanks Steve 
Lhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 4:32am
I don't know about jeep fiberglass bodies, but I am somewhat familiar with fiberglass reproduction bodies for hot rods (32/33/34 ford, 40/41 Willys, etc.). Using encapsulated wood in the fiberglass structure is pretty common. If the wood looks like it was there when the body was constructed in the mold, it is probably fine. It it looks to be added later, I would be suspect. You can always buy a reproduction steel body or even an original steel body if you thing the chassis setup is work the dollars.

Larry...
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 4:40am
I would certainly check for body cracks. Fiberglas will not flex as well as a Jeep frame.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 5:48am
Welcome to the page, SNOW5022!  Some 'glass tubs had (have?) plywood or balsa blocks embedded in the main structure for support, but the wood is not readily visible.  If you're seeing wooden support, Bubba has just used what was available with no regard for future deterioration.  This kind of "engineering" should be replaced ASAP.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
SNOW5022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 9:42am
Ol’ Unreliable,
That is my concern too.  Here a couple pictures.
Thanks Steve 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by SNOW5022 SNOW5022 wrote:

Ol’ Unreliable,
That is my concern too.  Here a couple pictures.
Thanks Steve 

That does not look right. The wood should be encapsulated in fiberglass to keep the moisture out and we would hope that there should be some rubber in there to take up some of the flex. I have driven some fiberglass cars and they are built to be as stiff as possible. They corner better that way. I'm not sure if a Jeep frame and a fiberglass body play well together unless you do it correctly.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 11:21am
Just do something to seal the wood. I imagine you have read up a bit about how some Jeep frames flex more than others. My MB frame barely flexed and my 3B frame flexes a lot. It concerned me a bit when I could see my hood swinging to it's limits In the big rocks and my steering wheel was moving side to side about a half of an inch each way. Frame flex.
uncamonkey
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 11:51am
Looks to me they just used blocks to create lift or bridge the gaps. Some of the glass bodies didn't follow the exact contours of the originals. So folks had to get creative. Not the best solution, but I've seen it before. 

I wouldn't disqualify the Jeep because of it. Assuming the rest of the Jeep is good. You can replace that with the proper body mount material. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 1:47pm
what no fender said. I have a glass bodied flatfender. Just replace the kindling with proper body mounts. It really depends on manufacturer/ class of body. Generally there are light weight "race" bodies, regular and heavy duty versions. My AJ's body with it's encapsulated balsa and steel plates weighs more than a steel tub. Just make sure any roll cage is built to the frame .
SNOW5022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 2:03pm
Thanks for the numerous helpful replies.  Here is a picture showing how wood has been placed in the floor wells.   Glass underneath is not cracked or broken.  Who knows? Someone’s “good idea” from years ago? Frame seems solid enough.  So Maybe I will take the plunge.  Idea is a father son project. I am a reasonable mechanic but don’t know how to weld.

Post Reply Post Reply