Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiberglass hardtop on M38A1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiberglass hardtop on M38A1
    Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 4:04pm
My father was given a M38A1 in 1978 and had been sitting in our pole building since then. When he passed away I ended up with the title. In the past year I have been working on the jeep and hired a mechanic friend for all the fixing side of it.
  This M38A1 has a inclosed cab from I was told a M38 model. It was factory installed and that I can verify. I have researched and can't find any real mention of a white hard vinyl hardtop. Has anyone every seen one of these?
   Is there a way to fond out were a jeep was used in the military??? Thanks for any help.Big smile
The Answer to Life the
Universe and Everything is- 42.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 11:08pm
First off, sorry about your Father, I lost mine in 2015,  welcome to the forum. As far as researching military history I am no help.  If you can take a picture of it and post it into your thread we all love jeep pictures. 

The guys over on the www.G503.com forum probably help you with history info if you have the info from your data plate on the dash using the serial #.
  Look for the M38A1 section for help

Edited by jeeper50 - 12 Sep. 2018 at 11:12pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 3:31am
A top for an M-38 won't fit on an M-38A1, as far as I know.  Are you sure the top isn't from a CJ-5?  If it were a military top it would be OD.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 5:56am
I do not recall if they were fiberglass, or metal, or perhaps both, but didn't some of these M38s come with an "Arctic Top" that was white for use in the northern climes? You know, as in Alaska!

Heck, I could be wrong as I am very tired & I am going to bed now.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 12:12pm
The arctic hardtop was aluminum for the flat fender M38's The M38a1 is basically a CJ5 body and did have a different hardtop. I believe it had plywood doors. Yours may have been painted white. 

The best place to find out is at WillysMJeeps.com. They specialize there in the discussion and support of the M38 models. 

You can do a search there and find out just about anything you have a question about. Ryan Miller and Wes Knettles are the moderators. I owe much to those two , and also John Bizal at Midwest Military in Minnesota. a weath of knowledge there. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
ButlerpaJeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:19am
Here are some pics of it. Let know what you think.
The Answer to Life the

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:30am
The Answer to Life the

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:31am
The Answer to Life the

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:32am
sorry about pics being sideways
The Answer to Life the
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 5:56am
Welcome to the page, ButlerpaJeep!  Are those doors hinged or do they slide?  The top looks civilian to me, but I could be wrong.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 7:23am
Yes, welcome and I will not tell the mice the answer.
uncamonkey
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 11:36am
Looks civillian. Go to Ewillys.com and look at CJ5's and M38A1 pictures. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:13pm
They are hinged, Had a guy in Butler tell me he really never seen that.
The Answer to Life the
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:28pm
That's a CJ5 top.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:39pm
Thanks for not telling the mice,
The Answer to Life the
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by ButlerpaJeep ButlerpaJeep wrote:

Thanks for not telling the mice,

Yep, I have one running around now. Not sure how it got in but if you live in a 112 year old house, they find a way in.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 3:21pm
Omg that my jeep!!!! I never seen another one but mine.. So it is a early one I know that and came with a plow. I had a offer of 11,500 for it but wasn't sure what to do. I want to take it to Butlers Jeep fest first
The Answer to Life the

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButlerpaJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 5:54pm
IS the Cj-5 a civilian jeep or do people also call M38A1 that also. I know mine in the photos is a M38A1 but with a after market added Hardtop?  I do know that this was bought from a surplus with the hardtop on it and the college that used it really did nothing to this jeep til given to us were it sat for 40 odd years til I got it to run last weekend.
The Answer to Life the
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>