Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

finally got a willys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higgins512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: finally got a willys!
    Posted: 03 May 2020 at 5:52pm
well after years of casually searching and debating i finally picked up a 47ish cj2a. its all complete, guy said it was running(everything ran at one point haha) minimal rust really in good shape for what it is amd what i gave. didnt have a title and has a plate welded over the vin so titling might be a trick montana is easy to deal with for the most part though. so i pulled it home cleaned up the fuel tank was rust free, just rotted gas run it over a bit then checked compression was only 32 lbs so i pulled the motor and tranny, it had been rebuilt at one point all the bearings look good cylinder walls are really smooth small ridge on top, bored .40 over measured out to about .41 .001 out of round but the valves had so much carbon build up they wouldnt even come close to seating. so im looking for advice on a few things. im thinking il do rings hone and valves all the seals and what not and then see if it will run.? not sure what would cause so much carbon build up on the valves? also i want to convert to 12v any thoughts on that? ive had several jeeps but i always wanted a flat fender. i love this thing! ive spent hours reading this forum so this is my introduction and looking for good parts sources! will need a back seat for my 2 boys and it will need a rust spot and few holes fixed but not to bad all in all. plan on getting it running and titled this summer do a few mountain trips and then pull the tub and do the body work and paint this winter want to keep it basiclly original just want upgraded wiring 12v and probably a small roll bar. any willys clubs or groups out montana way? i will post pictured this afternoon when i can get some signal to upload.

Edited by higgins512 - 04 May 2020 at 1:38am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:41pm
If you have the engine pulled apart my advice is to find a Machine shop and have it cut to .060 new pistons a valve job etc. You can only spend more money patching it up.

As to 12V you need an alternator and Coil the starter will work on 12V just don't crank on it for more then 5 -10 sec without a rest to keep it from heating up. All your bulbs will need changing and your Fuel gauge will need to have a voltage reducer put in the circuit if it has a horn it will be really loud again don't blow it a long time and it will be OK. Check with some of the other guys on how to deal with the AMP gauge I went to a volt gauge.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:45pm
Question Pictures are your best friend. We are visual people around these parts. 

Congrats on your new purchase BTW.
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 2:00am
Carbon, if black is unburned hydrocarbons, most likely oil.

If the bearings and crank looked nice, I'd assume the motor was not completely worn out when parked. You could then get by with re-ring but only with cast iron rings, as chrome moly rings are only used for new bores. On most cases it would require new bearings on a re-ring, unless they are mint and within specs.

Valves; you can get by with regrinding valves and seats, and don't need to worry about slight valve guide wear, and you certainly don't need hardened seats unless you run the engine under severe load most of the time.

If you have excess money, then go with total reman on it, but most shops charge more than the Jeep is worth, and the work is not rocket science that does not warrant these high pricings. IMO

6v starters have much thicker/heavier windings, so you can crank it all you want on 12v. The one issue that can happen running on 12v, is that a 6v starter will engage more violently, and sometimes like on Model A Fords, the Bendix spring can break. The new 12v mini starters work great if within your budget.

That 2A looks very nice compared to the rust belt where I live. Keep the rehab simple for now and see if you bond with it. I've seen too many good intentioned, but abandoned major projects that the owner was in too deep.
higgins512 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higgins512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:34am
ya as far as rebuilding, its as basic a vehicle as you can find. bearings were in spec but for the price i might as well go new. i think il file fit some iron rings and lap the vales and see what i can get for compression. i agree i want to keep it simple and run it over this summer before i really pull the tub and go threw it. i thought about a full rebuild but the machine shops here are out quite aways. so might as well try my luck. definitely going to go 12v for convenience and accessories. only thing missing from the rig was the ebrake any idea where i can find ebrake parts i found pads and springs but all i have is the drum on the tcase. no linkages or handle or anything.il keep posting as i put it back together gonna be a every friday and saterday job for a while haha 
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:20am
Great looking jeep!
Kaiser Willys has the e-brake handles/canes and the cable that runs down to the e-brake. 
They also have 12v alt kits with mounts $$$$$. 
I used a Chevy alt and built my own mount. 
There’s a lot of alt 12 v conversion info on this forum... I find it’s easier to use google and include CJ2A page forum in your search to find things on here. There’s wiring diagrams on here that’s what I used to wire my Chev alt. 
Looking forward to following your project. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:17am
Welcome aboard Austin,that’s a really nice looking Jeep to start with.
Have fun with your project and keep the pictures coming.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:48am
Hi start! Have you talked to http://montanaoverland.com/ ?

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:55pm
Gotta love that clean Montana sheet metal...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higgins512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 2:43pm
ive saved several threads on here. really good resources forsure! il post some more pictures later this week of the body i only have the one rust spot where there was dirt and water sitting under the fuel tank. few cracks here and there one good day with the welder and it should be in good shape! il definitely check out keiser and see if i can get my ebrake parts then. one thing ive been searching the forum for is a way to identify the exact year im not sure if thats possible without the original vin plate getting welded over?? i was told 47 
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:40pm
Nice! I have a spare ebrake cane hanging on the wall if you need it. Is your under dash ebrake bracketry intact? Muley
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:55pm
Welcome Thumbs Up

Echo everything above, great place to start Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 5:01pm
Good looking Jeep.  Get a shop manual, there are some out there with plastic covered pages that will last in the shop.  Another good book is the Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual by Moses Ludel, lots of info with pictures.  NAPA and Car Quest are good sources for parts.  Good luck with your project.

Edited by 64CJ5 - 04 May 2020 at 5:03pm
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higgins512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 2:52am
il have to look again but i dont remember seeing any brackets or anything for the ebrake. and i bought the rebuilders guide its a good one for sure! im gonna order another shop manual this week to. and id never heard of the jeep ranch il definitely be giving them a call on a few things.!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 12:32am
Welcome to the page, higgins512!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 4:49pm
Great score there, very close to the condition I started with last fall. You're in the right place for guidance. Most of us have been in the same place as you and experienced and resolved the same issues you're likely to run in to.

My engine was very close to the condition of yours (except that it actually run-kinda). I didn't have the heavy carbon deposits on the valves, which is likely the cause of your low compression. Other than that, both our engines were pretty much identical in condition. In my case, I had a machine shop hot bath the block, do a .010" cut on the crank journals, hone the cylinders, install new rings and bearings, do a fuzz cut on the head, reseat the valves and reassemble everything for around $425. I also spent about $100 for new gaskets and seals. Just a benchmark for your FYI. Your results may vary.

BTW, I love that Montana landscape. You're definitely in Jeep country.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higgins512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 3:32am
got a pile of parts ordered, didnt have much tim this weekend to mess with it but i did start cleaning up the frame and cleaned and painted up some small parts and pieces. also got broke down for about a hour unstucking the windshield.. cuz laying the windshield down is definitely a priority! haha i still need to finish the motor tear down. but corona virus is slowing my parts down so i got time. not in a huge rush but ready to hear this thing run. found out i have more weld than frame in several spots so this winter is gonna be allot of frame and body work still without the rust its not that big of a issue. anyways chipping away at it.

48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:03pm
Welcome to the party, looks like a great start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>