Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Firestone NDT - Sidewall Cracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firestone NDT - Sidewall Cracks
    Posted: 20 May 2022 at 8:21pm

A couple weeks back, I went out to check the tire pressure on my 6.00x16 Firestone NDTs. I noticed about a five-inch-long crack in the sidewall. Initially, I thought I might have caught it on a rock. As I went around the other three, I saw multiple cracks in each sidewall from very small to a couple of inches. The tread surface was fine. This got me concerned. The last thing I need is to get a blow out on the trail or on the road, especially since I take her up to 50 MPH regularly.

I dug out my receipt from Summit and saw that I bought them in June of 2018 for $129 each. In just under four years, I had put 7,000 miles on them. 98% was on the road. I checked the pressure fairly regularly and never drastically aired them down for off road. A couple of times I put on a good quality tire dressing but it was not a regular thing. She is outside all the time and parked in the same spot (unless my neighbor is being a jackass). So, if it was UV, I would have expected it to be concentrated to one side, but it was not. I was surprised to see them degrade so quickly. It is not like they were on a trailer sitting in the backyard unused for a decade. I regularly drive her, the previous year a little less with the covid garbage, but she did get used. I have three other cars with tires ranging from 2017, 2015 and 2008. The oldest has not been driven more then 3,000 and none have cracks. Granted, they do spend their time mostly in the garage.

I went to Summit’s website but there is no information about a warrantee. Out of curiosity, I called Summit to see if there was a known issue with these tires. I explained the situation and got put on hold for about 20 minutes. The rep came back and told me they would replace all four. I was surprised and asked if I need to drive down to the local store and have my tires examined. I was told there was no need and that four tires were on hold for me.

Monday, I went down to pick them up. I had to pay for them and then they would refund me when I returned with the old ones. I double checked with the cashier to make sure what I was told was correct. She verified it. I had to pay $120 to get them swapped out and balanced. Today, I returned the old ones without any hassle. I was told Corker has a lifetime defect warrantee and apparently this was considered a defect.

I looked at the Coker site and it is in line with what Summit said, except they indicate the tires are prorated. Maybe, since mine had such few miles, Summit did not prorate or maybe they did not realize they needed to.

I certainly was not expecting this and was not attempting to get away with anything. I have to say I am impressed with both Summit and Coker. I’m writing this up in case anyone else find themselves in a similar situation and can benefit.

The tires now sell for $169. $40 more in four years. Inflation is going to get us all.

Micah. 

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 9:10pm
Do you run them with tubes or tubeless?
1951 M38
1951 M100
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 9:55pm
Interesting post. I happen to notice cracks in my NDT sidewalls just the other day and my jeep lives in a carport. My tires are Specialty Tires of America and have most of the tread on them. I'm not sure how old they are, they were on when I bought my jeep a few years ago. I've looked for a date code but don't see anything. I hate to think I might have to replace them before long, seems such a waste of all that tread.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 10:24pm
Summit Racing has the bestest customer service
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 10:34pm
Good story to read! 

Good to find a company nowadays that stands behind what they sell. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 11:47pm
Ron,
I had tubes in them. I there was a sticker on the new ones saying they are "tube type." 

On that note, I had Discount tire to the mount and balance. I think the tech was not use to tubes and destroyed the first one he worked on. They did not touch the other three. I found out the next day when I went to pick them up. Manager said it was common to have happen. I disagreed and told him the age and mileage. When he then went out to dismount the other three, there was no issues. I think he then realized his tech damaged it and gave me a new tube. So, good experience with them also. 

Micah 
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Summit Racing has the bestest customer service

Yes they do but trying to contact them by phone is an increasingly a big frustration.  The hold times have always been a little excessive, even before the internet.  I had ordered a pair of Bilstein shocks from them for the butt of my 3B in 2020.  Those were back ordered for over a year and Summit canceled the order.  I tried to reorder with the same order # over the net and they wanted me to call them, I assume for the billing info.  After being on hold for 40 minutes I gave that up and canceled the order on the web and started a completely new order that went just as you would expect.

I've been doing business with them I think for 48 years now and other than the phone issue, just outstanding service.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply