Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First post ....First question (UPDATE Jan.15)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First post ....First question (UPDATE Jan.15)
    Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 1:20am
Hello everyone.  

New to the world of Jeeps and their maintenance.  Recently acquired a 1947 CJ2A (SN:135982).  It is in running condition, and pretty well stock.  Due to some brake issues, I have not driven it more than a few blocks from home.  But I am already completed hooked on driving this flat fender.  

Really enjoying the challenge of this project.  I appreciate all the info within this forum provided by you knowledgeable folks.  It's priceless. 

So as I work through a growing list of issues to address on my rig, a priority item right now (as it is parked in a carport) is to prepare the radiator and engine for the sub zero temperatures fast approaching us here in western Canada.

After testing the existing antifreeze solution in it, I determined it requires better freezing protection, so
Yesterday I drained the original fluid from both the rad and engine block.  

Adding the new antifreeze, I found that the radiator took approximately 9 quartz. After I turned it over and let it run for about 10 minutes, I expected the fluid level in the radiator to drop as it warmed.  But it did not, so I shut it down.  The engine temp gauge is not operational and I was afraid to overheat it.  I can't be certain the thermostat works either at this point.

So now I am a bit concerned and unsure what to do next.  Did I not allow the engine to warm up long enough to allow the thermostat to open up?  Would I have potentially caused damage during that short run time if there was no fluid cycling from the rad to engine?  Is there a way to safely determine that the engine is being properly cooled without the temp gauge? 

Any suggestions to ease my troubled mind would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Carbinekid - 15 Jan. 2022 at 2:37pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 3:45am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 5:41am
Infrared temperature gun.  Top part of radiator tank should be hotter than bottom part. Good luck and have fun with your Jeep 
Mike in AZ
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 9:40am
I doubt you hurt anything. 

The thermostat will be closed and since you drained the block it would take a while for it to get warm enough for the thermostat to open.

I would remove the thermostat, replace the housing and let the block fill with coolant, and run it a bit with the thermostat out.

While out you can check the thermostat by placing it into a pot of water on the stove and using a kitchen thermometer as the water warms see if it opens and if so at what temperature. 

They don't cost much and I would just replace it with a new one. 

A lot of folks drill a hole in the flange of the thermostat, but I have not done that and am not sure it does much. You should replace the temperature gauge, so you can monitor how hot it is running. This is important and can help spot issues.

I use a 160 degree thermometer in my Jeeps, and both of them warm until the gauge hits that mark and then drops a little when the thermostat opens. After fully warmed my Jeeps maintain that temp, and neither have the modification of drilling an extra hole. However, I have been through the cooling system on both of my Jeeps, blocks and radiators flushed out, radiators refurbished, new water pumps and belts. The extra hole may be needed in a Jeep that is not so clean, it is surprising how much rusty crud can settle into the water jacket.    
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 10:35am
Welcome!
Good idea changing the antifreeze, you just never know and so many good engines have been ruined from freezing.
There’s probably no problem at all, often if the air can get around the thermostat ( that’s partly what the hole is for in the thermostat), the coolant level won’t drop at all. Actually if you filled it above the plate inside the radiator it probably pushed some fluid out the overflow tube and that’s just normal operation for a cooling system without a surge tank.
If you can get a working temp gauge installed that would be my first step of diagnosing the cooling system and seeing if there’s any problems.
The 11qt capacity isn’t always a set thing on a older cooling system, it depends on how much sediment/ calcium deposits are in the radiator and block. Often in the old days they drained the cooling system every day and then refilled the next day from the closest water source even if it wasn’t clean. Sometimes radiator repairs will reduce capacity if they removed tubes to fix leaks, there’s just a lot of variation when you aren’t sure of the Jeeps history.

Edited by 48willys - 24 Dec. 2021 at 11:05am
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Carbinekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 10:22pm
Thank you very much for the information and suggestions.

I am feeling better about things now and will get a new temp gauge sorted asap.

Outside of my worries about overheating, should I feel confident that draining the system of the
old liquid has assured things won't freeze, regardless of how much/little new stuff cycled through?

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2021 at 11:35pm
You said you drained the block, hopefully with the petcock intended for that purpose. If you got flow from that petcock then the water jacket wasn't too terribly clogged up, and some of the new antifreeze should have made it into the block even if you didn't run it long enough to open the thermostat.

Folks didn't always have antifreeze, some used alcohol, but it was also a common practice years ago to drain the engine block before a hard freeze.

You should be alright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2021 at 12:13am
Thank you for giving me some peace of mind!

Merry Christmas all

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2021 at 12:14am
How cold do you expect the motor to get there in western Canada?
40 below zero? For months?

[farenheit, not celsius]

Edited by Ron D - 25 Dec. 2021 at 12:15am
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2021 at 12:25am
Where I am southwestern Canada, from now until March, we can see temps for an extended period anywhere from 20F to -22F.   For the next week it is supposed to be no warmer than 5F.

Certainly a much warmer location than much of Canada, but cold enough.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2021 at 10:04am
I used to enjoy cold weather, but with age has come less tolerance of it.

Of course it never gets that cold here in the Sunny South, but I have experienced -25F once in WV. 

Once it gets below 20F I can't tell much difference unless I spit. 
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2021 at 11:13am
70 below club, Fairbanks Alaska for a couple of winters. Land of the Midnight Sun.
That kind of cold does weird stuff to metal, among other things.....

Edited by Ron D - 25 Dec. 2021 at 11:14am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2021 at 7:57pm
Been there, done that.... Yep, got the T-shirt
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 2:43pm
So as a follow up to my original post ...

I now have a new temperature gauge that I am trying to install.

The new temp gauge sensor does not fit into the old bushing in the head.

Should I be able to or is there possibly an issue with the old bushing?

I also purchased a new adapter bushing but hesitate to remove the old one if not necessary.

Is the new adapter bushing supposed to be a direct replacement to the original bushing currently in the head?   I hate to assume anything at this point and start wrenching things out.

BTW these are new parts from Kaiser Willys.

Thank you for your help.

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 3:25pm
Hard to see but it appears the K-W adapter is longer than the stock version.  I think you need to install both adapters on their respective "senders" and compare the stick-out length from the end of the adapter.

You will probably need to use the one that came with the new gauge.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 6:53pm
Got it. Thank youThumbs Up
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 7:22pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but the new bushing does not appear to have tapered NPT on the male threads. IIRC, The original one and the head have NPT. If I am correct, then new bushing will not work well. It would either screw up the original threads in the head, or not engage the threads.

With the longer stick-out length, perhaps one needs to install the new bushing in the old bushing?
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 7:48pm
Cpt,
You are correct in it being NPT. I believe I purchased that same adaptor from KW and it worked fine. 

Carbinekid, 
I know you just replaced your antifreeze, but if you have any concerns with your block needing to be flush, now is the time. Home Depot sells an adaptor that will allow you to hook a hose straight to the port. You can pump as much water through there as you desire. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>