Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Ride

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Ride
    Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 6:27pm
  I didn’t want to hijack Flatfender Ben’s thread - by the way, congratulations Ben! - but I thought this might be fun. I’m sure that mighty few of us remember our first ride in a car, but do some of us know a story about it? Ben’s son will have the story and pictures to boot. 
  Early in June, 1950, Pop came to the hospital in Greeley to pick me and Mom up and take us home to Johnstown. He brought some pillows to make a bed for me in the middle of the front seat (This was Mom’s spot until tonight) of his 1936 Ford Tudor Sedan. The Ford had a 1949 Mercury Engine with dual exhaust. The Colorado State Patrol had 1949 Fords and couldn’t run with that ‘36. They tried, on a friendly basis, a couple of times. A trooper told Pop, “It doesn’t matter, we know where you live.” Anyway, as we were leaving town, going past the drive-in movie theatre, Pop noticed the name of the movie on the marquee and said “I’ve been wanting to see this!” And turned in to the theatre. So my first ride was not only in one of the hottest cars in the area, it included a movie as well!
  I have this story on good authority from two reliable sources. Big smileLOL
Let’s hear your story, if you know it. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 6:41pm
I don't know the story of my first ride, but I remember my little sister's.  My dad had a '67(?) Impala convertible.  My dad, little brother and I (I was 5) went to pick my mom and sister up from the hospital to bring them home.  It was a nice spring day (my sister was born May 10) and we got to put the top down!  But when we got to the hospital we had to put the top back up because my sister couldn't ride home in it with the top down.  I still feel the disappointment 51 years later!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 7:18pm
No idea what the story is of my first ride. But I can tell you my son's. 

Back then (just shy of 32 years now) I had a rowdy CJ5 that we tooled around in. Well as his mother got later in the pregnancy, I wouldn't let her ride in the Jeep because it was a pretty rough ride. So her only request was that when the time came I would take her to the hospital in the 5.

They day came and I was outside doing a brake brake job. She yelled out that we had to go! So I quickly reassembled the Jeep, threw the go bag in, strapped her in and took off like a bat out of hell. First traffic light......rolled right through it. Yep barely any brakes. I didn't have time to adjust the 4 drums. 

So we rode to the hospital, her not knowing a thing, with me riding the e-brake the whole way. By some miracle we made it. A short time later my son was born. 

So family comes to see the boy. Lots of in and out. I decided to ride home with my sister and leave the Jeep at the hospital. We rode back and forth together over the next two days. Well now it's time to go home. We bundle up the boy, strap in the new car seat my in-laws delivered and were heading home....the new little family.

So there we are ready to go. I back out of the space.....that's on a slight hill......forgetting I have almost no brakes. I back out, roll halfway across the parking lot and hit a parked car. Yep. 

So my son's very first ride in a motorized vehicle was in a Jeep. And his first was about 50 feet, resulting in a traffic accident. And his first ride required a repair as I laid down in the lot and did what i could to adjust the brakes with a screwdriver I found under the seat. True story......

I'd like to say I've wised up maybe a bit since then. Nah. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 8:56pm
The only thing I can say about my first ride is that it was in a '52 Ford Customline 4-door. Light blue, flathead V-8, three-on-the-tree.  I was the 3rd of seven kids; they should have just bought a station wagon.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2020 at 8:15pm
First rides that I can remember were in the family VW bug. Time, 1956ish. We had several of them before the VW Bus. Still have a VW Super Beatle. 
Now getting a Jeep. Waiting for it to get trucked down from up North. Can't wait.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
 Post Reply Post Reply