Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Time Carb Rebuild, Pt 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Time Carb Rebuild, Pt 2
    Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 7:45am
I got the Carter carb in my '47 CJ2A rebuilt and now running the jeep.  It idles and drives, but...  it has a pretty bad bog out when trying to rev or accelerate.  Second gear has really little power.  I can floor it and I don't get much from the jeep in that gear.

So, what part of the carb should I look at?  Accelerator pump?  One of the jets?  Some other doodad?  I should note that I bought the master rebuild kit from Kaiser Willys and I was disappointed with the quality.  I had to bend and sand the accelerator pump, for instance, and there were other issues.

Thanks, Everyone!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 9:30am
Raise the metering rod a hair.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 11:02am
I think Lee is on the money. If that doesn't work, try your old metering rod. I bought that same kit and ended up swapping the metering rod back to the original. I can't remember if that was actually the issue, but I know the original metering rod is in there now and it runs like a champ. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Skeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 12:32pm
Thank you for the ideas.  I actually kept my original metering rod as the new one was bent and longer than the original.  I'm definitely going to try to raise it a little.  Thanks, again.

Skeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 10:38am
Follow up on this effort.  I replaced the metering rod with the new one and raised it.  It runs much, much better.  There is no more (or almost) bog when accelerating.  I still have quite a bit of low power particularly in second.  Should my intervention be the same - raise the metering rod a tad?  
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 12:28pm
Check your ignition timing.
DMusil
harve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 4:00pm
I bought a complete engine rebuild kit from Kaiser Willys for the L134 gear drive engine. Needless to say what a waste of $900 dollars. Made in China 🇨🇳 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 7:45pm
  Have you read ANY of my posts regarding K-W? Evidently not. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 8:41pm
But they do have an impressive website, very pretty, and easy to navigate, and their catalogs are pretty too! 

A lot of the stuff KW sells is Omix-Ada imports, but they don't bother to tell you that.

When it comes to engine parts I look for quality brand parts. If they don't list the brand, I don't buy.

I want Hastings rings, Silvolite pistons, and US made bearings, none of which are found in a KW kit.  

That said, I have an engine that was built using a KW kit, and it runs great. I didn't build it, and while it runs great now, I just don't know how long it will last.

Edited by Oldpappy - 20 Mar. 2023 at 8:43pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply