Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flex a lite fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flex a lite fan
    Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 5:01pm
I am looking for a bolt on replacement for the stock 134 cooling fan that will help pull more air I’m a-little overwhelmed with all the options out there could anyone give some recommendations?

Thanks
Ted 
Ted
46 CJ2a
Boomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 5:09pm
as long as the bolt pattern will bolt up to water pump, and the diamater fits inside the shroud without hitting anything you should be better off then what your running now..... keep in mind that half the fan fins should be inside the shroud and half outside for best performance

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 5:26pm
How about adding a 12 volt pusher fan in front of the radiator using a thermostatic switch to come on only when needed.  Because if you remove the willys fan you will lose the Lhead fan whine. Just an idea If you don't like the look of the fan in front of the radiator then by a chaff screen to cover it up.

Just my $.02

Edited by jeeper50 - 26 Apr. 2022 at 5:27pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 7:00pm
Is your engine overheating?
Mike in AZ
tfrazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 7:11pm
Yes,   After a while 20-30 mins or so at moderate speeds it always  tends to keep climbing in temp.   I have the proper thermostat with the spacer and the bypass hole drilled in it.  I am running 40% antifreeze 60% water with a water “wetter”.  I have played around with the timing a few times and regardless it still overheats.   It’s mostly stock.   
Ted
46 CJ2a
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 7:54pm
  I think I’d be looking for the actual problem instead of asking for a Band-Aid. Thousands of jeeps are running around with the stock four-blade fan and no problems. Mine doesn’t even have a shroud, and I run a chaff screen, and sometimes a Desert Water Bag in front of it. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 26 Apr. 2022 at 8:01pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
tfrazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 8:23pm
I would love to figure out the culprit.   But I am at a loss at this point 
Ted
46 CJ2a
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 8:45pm
How high does temp get when running?  Come down when idling?  Condition of radiator?  Checked temps with IR temp gun?  Condition of hoses?  Water pump? Radiator cap?
Mike in AZ
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I think I’d be looking for the actual problem instead of asking for a Band-Aid. Thousands of jeeps are running around with the stock four-blade fan and no problems. Mine doesn’t even have a shroud, and I run a chaff screen, and sometimes a Desert Water Bag in front of it. 
BW 

BW "the voice of reason".Thumbs Up

If you have a bum t-stat, too far advanced timing, faulty gage.. it doesnt matter how much air you pull thru a plugged radiator the problem remains.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 12:28am
How do you know it is overheating? By the needle on the temp gauge? If so, is the gauge bad? It happens.

OTOH, If the radiator is puking out coolant, then you do have an overheating problem & not a gauge problem. Do you have access to an infrared  temperature gauge? Check with your FLAPS some will rent or loan you one. It is easier if your rig is in their parking lot. My local NAPA & Carquest have them to loan out.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 10:31am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

How do you know it is overheating? By the needle on the temp gauge? If so, is the gauge bad? It happens.

OTOH, If the radiator is puking out coolant, then you do have an overheating problem & not a gauge problem. Do you have access to an infrared  temperature gauge? Check with your FLAPS some will rent or loan you one. It is easier if your rig is in their parking lot. My local NAPA & Carquest have them to loan out.

And Harbor Freight sells them cheap.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
GeorgiaFlattie View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgiaFlattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 11:41am
Originally posted by tfrazer tfrazer wrote:

Yes,   After a while 20-30 mins or so at moderate speeds it always  tends to keep climbing in temp.   I have the proper thermostat with the spacer and the bypass hole drilled in it.  I am running 40% antifreeze 60% water with a water “wetter”.  I have played around with the timing a few times and regardless it still overheats.   It’s mostly stock.   

I was having a bunch of issues with it over heating and did a number of things. First, I swapped out the faulty distributor and that helped a lot but the damage had been done and needed a new head gasket. With the new HG and dizzy it ran better but still warm so I pulled the water pump, freeze plugs and t-stat then stuck a hose in the head to flush the crap out of the block. The block/head was still a bit crusty so I picked up some Thermocure made by Evaporust and ran it per the label which made a huge difference. A clean block/radiator with a fresh t-stat/HG made it run 180-200 pretty reliably. If your block is rusty pull the freeze plugs again after running the Thermocure and you will be amazed at the difference.

The last change I made was running my thermostat under the spacer (so it's sticking into the head) and it rarely gets over 180deg. My thought process was the original bellows style thermostat was much taller and allegedly opens differently than the new pellet style. IIRC it's fully open at the temp listed while the pellet style is not.

Post Reply Post Reply