Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fluid heater or 12volt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fluid heater or 12volt?
    Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 2:06pm
has anyone ever installed a fluid type heater box under the dash? 
as in running lines from the engine to the heater core. 
they make some pretty nice kits online i found one at summit racing for 150 bucks

or would it be better to just get an under dash electric one. 

if anyone has any pics of there's it would be helpful, this is something im planning on doing later on but i just like to get some ideas before hand
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 2:12pm
I bought an old Harrison heater. It kicks out the heat, and looks and fits very nice. I would do a coolant based unit vs. an electric unit. An electric heater would pull a bunch of current, I'm guessing you'd need a large alternator to run it, but I've never installed one.
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 2:23pm
where would i run the inlet and return lines for the coolant based heater? i'm kind of confused on that
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 2:37pm
Try a search.
BOULDER 48 2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 2:38pm
There is a port on the back of the engine head on a 134L and then the other is on the right side of the water pump. Your service manual would have pictures.

I am currently installing one of the Summit heaters if you look back in my project thread on CHUG A LUG you will see some photos.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 2:53pm
Hot water heater is the way to go. Original period heater show up frequently on ebay.  Mine came with a driver side heater.  Not sure the brand, but it works well and will keep my feet toasty warm.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

.... I would do a coolant based unit vs. an electric unit. An electric heater would pull a bunch of current, I'm guessing you'd need a large alternator to run it, but I've never installed one.

I'll second that.  As a point of reference, a moderate-power hair dryer is about 1000 watts.  At 12 volts that would draw 83 amps (and at 6V it would be 167 amps).  So any electric heater would have to be a lot less powerful than a hair dryer.  Probably weak enough that it wouldn't be worth the effort to install (but I've never installed one either).
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by jasonbass jasonbass wrote:

where would i run the inlet and return lines for the coolant based heater? i'm kind of confused on that
Water pump and the rear of the head. Ports are there 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 7:06pm
As the question has been answered multiple time on this thread, I will suggest that you use the "Advanced Search" button on the search engine on this site. Without using said button, the search engine on this site is useless. Often you will get good results, if you Google your question & include the CJ-2a page in the question.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

PS. A fluid/water heater is the way to go. There is a reason that auto manufacturers do not use electric heaters. They are very inefficient & costly, as well as being maintenance hogs.  
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 1:16am
ok ill look into all things said, summit racing has one that i like and i can plum now that i know i can run it from the head and water pump. 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 3:09am
Just don't pull a Bubba and drill holes through your firewall tags.  Thumbs Down  It's just not cool.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 4:19pm
Harrison heaters show up on ebay for $$$,
Try parts wanted section of this site.
BOULDER 48 2A
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2018 at 7:06pm
My current hot rod had this already installed in it...

not sure why they did it as there was not top on it and the truck was ranchers Jeep in New Mexico...

it was plumbed from the existing water pump very much like the way the Buick V6 was done...2 holes in the firewall...grommets around each hole too...

Good luck with your project.

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 28 Nov. 2018 at 7:10pm
I am the squirrel....
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2018 at 9:32pm
thats a good spot to put the heater. i was thinking of up under the dash on the passenger side but i thing the middle is better. 

how else will i run hoses if i don't drill holes? 

Post Reply Post Reply