Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford Crewcab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 10:29pm
Well the figure eights are for a Trak-Lok break in. A pattern check for the ring and pinion is another matter. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to satisfy the guys warranty requirements.

In my shop I had factory tooling to set the pinion depth and that eliminated a bunch of guess work. Once I had the pinion depth set, the differential case shimming was pretty easy and I got good patterns on new gearsets in about 20 minutes of build time. If the pattern looked good, put the cover on and fill with oil and let the customer have it.

The Trac-Lok did take a friction modifier that an open diffy didn't need.

If your gear man wants to peel the cover off to look at the pattern after six hundred miles, I'd let him for warranty reasons.

If it was set up properly, the pattern will not change in six hundred miles, or six thousand miles for that matter...or even sixty thousand miles...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 10:54pm
Thanks 
They did mention the friction modifier. 
They didn’t say anything about breaking in the trak-lok. 

What kind of service life should I see out of the trak-lok as far as the clutch disks? Wondering if they wear out quickly?

Will it handle differently on slick roads?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 11:38pm
Some quick interior shots. 

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2018 at 1:19am
Nice looking truck.

Well, in 600 miles the Trak-Lok will have been broken in...unless you drove 600 miles without making a turn...LOL.

T/L disks will eventually wear enough to need replacement. You will know when that happens when the axle starts acting like a regular open diffy.
No harm will happen if you drive it that way, it just won't have the limited slip feature. You should get somewhere between 50K to 100K miles or more depending on how much turning driving you do and and how tight the turns are. The disks are not a real big deal to change and can even be changed without dropping the diffy out of the axle if you have the right tools, but it is much easier to do it on a bench. Replacement disk packs are available without having to buy a new diffy case, but do remember to add fresh T/L friction modifier.

Yes, the Trak-Lok will make a difference off road in that both tires on that axle will have traction until they both get to the limit of the tire, then they will both spin. Because of this, you may not need the four wheel drive as much as you would under normal circumstances.

However, because both tires will be able to turn under power when you break traction, you need to be very careful on slick pavement or icy conditions. The tendency is for the axle to slide sideways under power so you need to apply power very gently. It will take some getting used to on ice. In soft ground or mud the T/L works great. I wouldn't recommend T/L for both axles used on the highway where you could encounter ice. You will go sideways...

In fact, I raced in the mud for three years using T/L's both front and rear, but that truck was a dedicated mud racer (46 Ford truck body on a 76 Ford F-250 chassis cut to fit the 46 Ford wheel base. 427 Ford with a racing C6 tranny and NP205 TC, Model 60 Dana axles front and rear. 40" tires for one class and rice and cane tires for the other class I raced in. No wheel brakes, only a disc brake mounted to the rear pinion flange. Did I mention Nitrous?) (named the truck "Blue Mule") Cost a bundle to maintain, had to quit. But I was a kid then and it was a way to spend money I didn't really have. I sold the whole rig to an guy who wanted just the motor for his Mustang fastback. Not sure what he did with the rest of the truck.

I've got some money now, but, alas, I'm no longer a kid.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 19 Feb. 2018 at 1:29am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2018 at 2:09am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

....Yes, the Trak-Lok will make a difference off road in that both tires on that axle will have traction until they both get to the limit of the tire, then they will both spin. Because of this, you may not need the four wheel drive as much as you would under normal circumstances.

However, because both tires will be able to turn under power when you break traction, you need to be very careful on slick pavement or icy conditions. The tendency is for the axle to slide sideways under power so you need to apply power very gently. It will take some getting used to on ice. In soft ground or mud the T/L works great. I wouldn't recommend T/L for both axles used on the highway where you could encounter ice. You will go sideways....

A TracLoc will also try to scrub tires when coasting around corners on slippery surfaces, so even when you aren't on the throttle they can be dicey on ice.  Too late for you Ben, but a TrueTrac is a better choice for winter use.  It doesn't scrub tires so you don't lose stability unless you are on the gas.  Also doesn't have friction clutches to wear out.

Sure like that crew cab though!  I've got a '97 F-250 crew cab short box with a 460.  Thinking about a Cummins for it.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2018 at 2:55am
That mud truck sounds awesome!

97 crewcab with a Cummins would be cool. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 4:18pm
After driving on slick roads yesterday I wanted to say thanks for the advice and pointers guys. 
On slick roads you definitely have to pay attention to not go sideways, and I hadn’t even thought of breaking traction in a turn when off the throttle, so that was a good thing to know. 

Thanks 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:21am
   Ben,
Well I see I did not have any luck attaching a photo of my '77 Ford Crewcab.

I have not been driving it much and have often thought of repowering to a larger engine like a 429 / 460, but I have been too busy working on repurposing other junk.   I read where you mentioned you are always working on Junk.
   Me too ......... constantly .... maybe it is the challenge of "cracking-the-safe" idea.   
   Hey, restoring the old crewcabs IS worth every minute of attention. I have not been active on the "oldfordcrewcabs" either.
   And I am glad you remember those photos I posted 15-years ago ?
The photos and how-to data files are still there, unless Yahoo has done-away with their Groups aince being sold.

I was just looking at my front driveline, which is a stock driveline out of a '73 Ford F-150 4x4. The length was perfect for my Dana 60 front axle swap, but I should remove the driveline and clearance the yokes more to eliminate Bind with suspension full-droop. There is not much clearance before bind.

I installed brand new window channels and horiz. felts and weatherstrips and sliding rear window, all from JCWhitney in 1998, and with keeping the pickup stored inside, the rubbers are still like brand new today.
   The little 300 inline six engine is a bunch small for a pickup of this weight, but with the 4-bbl Holley carb it holds its own pulling a trailer, but just not as fast up the hills as a big-block.

Years ago, I had the spider-gear Pin come loose in a Dana 44 in the rear of a '71 International Travelall, and it locked-up the rear-end just like what happened to your pickup.

The '66 Ford Crew-Cab that I sold to the guy up in Salem, Oregon, has been painted fire-engine Red, and I don't think he is finished with it.

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:07am
Awesome!!!
When you said 6 cyl with a 4 barrel and power steering conversion that’s the pickup I instantly thought of. 

Great looking pickup!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:57am
Hey Ben.. jump back across the hi-way and check out IMP's latest offering-now that's a crewcab!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12