Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Ford Script"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Ford Script"
    Posted: 04 May 2008 at 2:08pm

Ok...I can't think of a better place to discuss this subject.

First let me explain the way I understand this...During WWII Jeeps that were made by Ford all had parts stamped with their "script F" and are a highly sought after parts for purist rebuilders for that era...I know from personal experience that when a part is stamped with
"Ford Script"  the parts dealer is asking 3 to 10 times more for the item.

Ok some questions I have ...

1- Did that "Ford Script" get used on any of the Willys jeeps other than replacement parts during the war?
2- Did "Ford Script" get used after the war on any "civy" Jeeps?
3- When did it start and when did it finish (seems important for "genuine" restores).

Now the reason I ask ...I was sanding the hood for my restore and up from under 60 years of paint dirt and grime popped a "Ford Script" stamped on the hinge of the hood.

Mine is a 1946 (supposedly) so am I to assume this hood has been replaced somewhere along the line or is possible this could be original equipment?

During my entire restore this is the only script I found. Thus the queery!

Here's my "little treasure"

Edited by monte - 04 May 2008 at 2:20pm
"Stump Jumper" Colorado ex-patriot...
"If it don't leak it aint a Jeep"
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 2:29pm
Monte,
You have found the only known "F" stamped part that I'm aware of that came on a CJ2A. You will notice that the "F" has been overstamped to amend it. I believe that ACM must have bought out surplus hinges from Ford, but before they sold them they made sure that they would assume no liability on them.
This was discussed in the parts project under "hood"
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 3:29pm
?
Am I to assume that the Ford script rear axel on my #10927 is not the original axel that came on that jeep.

Jake
1948 185471
1948 205299
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 4:49pm
You never know.... Willys did buy back and use a lot of surplus parts in the earlier jeeps... I would bet #927has a lot of strange surplus stuff on it.

Lots of F bolts have been found on 2A's. as well as a few frames where the machine gun crossmember has been modified to fit the 2A tub......We have learned never to say either NEVER or ALWAYS   when describing factory original on these old jeeps......Wink

And gary is 100% right on the hinges...If you have a F stamped hinge and a WILLYS script hood, it is pretty definite itis an original 2A part.

Edited by F Bill - 04 May 2008 at 4:52pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2009 at 3:45pm
Here ya go.  "ƒ script" front inner axle oil seal.  Original leather:

Sean
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2009 at 1:29am

I found a Ford GPW brake drum on my front axle.

1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2009 at 6:25pm
I have the ford hood, the axle seals were ford, one of the rock guards on the front axle was ford, and I believe you will find lots of others stuff so long as it was not used in other ford production.
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2009 at 6:45pm
   Lew even found Ford air in one of his tires---  When he took the core out it went,"FFFFFFFF"! LOL
   If you study the differences between the GPW and MB, you'll find that our CJ2A's got a lot of features from Ford, among them, the entire "hat channel" across the back of the hood.  BW

Edited by Bruce W - 04 Jan. 2009 at 6:46pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2009 at 7:08pm
 GOOD ONE   BRUCE W...   ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

I NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH TODAY....THANKS   Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
likauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2009 at 4:48am
same jeeps Ford & Willys MB

Post Reply Post Reply