Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford T98 Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seven.bar.salvage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford T98 Transmission
    Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 8:37pm
I just recently bought a Ford T98 transmission 2x4. I was planning on doing a V6 (I have a buick 225 that needs a rebuild), T98, and Big hole dana 18 with terra flex low gears. Did I make the right decision buying the t98 or should I sell it and find a T18? Will the T98 mate to the dana 18 pretty easy?
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 11:22pm
The T-98 is the older brother of the T-18, The T-98 has a deeper 1st gear, I believe you made the right choice if you want a lower crawl ratio.... It will mate to the D-18 easily with an adapter kit from Novak or Advanced Adapters.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 12:08am
There were very many equipment builders that used the T98 and later T18 transmissions.
But the main automotive mfgr’s were Ford, Jeep and IH.
Although very similar and some parts are a direct interchange, the T18 should be considered superior to the T98 in several ways.
That said the T98 is considered better for applications using the 134 engines.

Nowadays the Ford version is by far the most common, however no Fords were ever factory mated to Dana 18/20 transfer cases.
That alone creates a major problem.

To use a Ford T18/98 with D18/D20 applications you must install either an IH or a Jeep mainshaft.
And the Jeep D18/20 adapter plate will also be required to use a Ford.
IH transfer case adapter plates do not fit typical Jeep applications.
IMHO the Ford version yields no advantages over the Jeep versions.

The reason guys like the Ford version is because the Ford case can be re-drilled to fit GM bell housings.
IMHO why bother with the Ford case when one can easily make a superior case out of the Jeep version to directly fit GM and Dauntless bell housings ?
The modified Jeep case will be superior in several ways to a re-drilled Ford case.

For Dauntless with a T18, I recommend a Jeep wide ratio T18 at 6.32.
Specifically the 1972-1978 cases having the over/up reverse.
Found in 1977/1978 CJ’s and very many from the Gladiators.
The long Gladiator main drive gear (input) can be changed out or modified by shortening and re-splining them to fit the Dauntless bell depth.

Borg Warner’s to fit various other application can be built using several donor transmissions.
Many internal and external parts may or may not be directly interchangeable between various makes of BW T98/T18.
It’s a rather complex set of interchange guidelines.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 3:11am
Old time
How do you adapt a Jeep T98 to a SBC?
Thanks
Jay
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 3:27am
Modify the Jeep case via welding new ears on the front of case so it matches the bell housing pattern you want.
The maindrive gear (MDG) may need to be modifed depending on its OAL or it’s “stick out” length.
If I recall correctly 6-7/8” “stick out” (9-1/2” MDG OAL) will be ideal for a typical GM bell without using any adapter plates.
You will need to turn the front bearing retainer down so if indexes into the GM bell housing bore.

In lieu of case welding you can use the method that others prefer.
Take a pre 1979 Ford T98/18 case and re drill it to fit the GM bellhousing.
Also drill and tap the rear of Ford case to accept the Jeep transfer case adapter plate.
The rear of Ford case is not as smooth of fit as a genuine Jeep case and the Ford PTO outlet is useless on a Jeep D18/20 combo.

Edited by oldtime - 17 Sep. 2020 at 3:54am
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

seven.bar.salvage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seven.bar.salvage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 2:17pm
That is the ultimate goal is to get a super low crawl gear. Thanks for the response! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seven.bar.salvage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by seven.bar.salvage seven.bar.salvage wrote:

That is the ultimate goal is to get a super low crawl gear. Thanks for the response! 

Thank you for all the information! I talked to the junkyard and he is going to swap the T98 for a T18 out of a 72 Ford truck. I have found out (at least in this area) that old granny 4 speeds are impossible to find in any form. The guy I bought this from owns a mainly ford parts yard going back to the 60's and he only had 1 pre 78 4 speed.

So now I need to find an FSJ main shaft to swap into the Ford T18?
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 2:34pm
Novak may have a new or used mainshaft. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 3:05pm
To fit a Ford T18 to GM you will need:

1- a Jeep, IH or aftermarket mainshaft
2- a Jeep or aftermarket rear adapter plate (not IH)
3- to turn down the index bore of your front bearing retainer to 4.686”

Edited by oldtime - 17 Sep. 2020 at 3:08pm
Zero aftermarket parts

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 3:33pm
Or save the time of finding these hard to find OE parts and order the kit from Novak and have it in a week with instructions

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Y2GREY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2GREY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 2:36pm
When I brought the WILLYS home it had a 225, t86 and Dana 18 combo with a Dana 30 front and 44 rear in 3:73. It also had a Warn OD. I knew what I wanted to build so I was patient...I located a Rock-Eater transfer case in 4.86 built by Jack O'Brien never installed and still strapped to the pallet. I made a very good deal on it and it sat quietly under my bench for 7 years. Next I found a Dana 44 rear in 4.27 with a full floater kit grabbed that and held it 6 years. The final piece was the wide ration t18 out of a cj5. It came with the Dana 20 attached to it so now I had the transfer case adapter. A quick call to Novak and a tap of the card and I had the project up and running. The stuff is out there if you have the time and patients.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seven.bar.salvage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 6:59pm
Wow I admire that patients. You are correct if you wait the right deal and the right part will show up.
 Post Reply Post Reply