Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 1:46pm
How quick we forget!

The reason it's now "members only" was to prevent "a certain someone" from sniping us!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:01pm

That "certain someone" is a member or he has a mole.  He has already proven that.  Either way, seems to me that if there is an advantage, we are giving him the same advantage over the non members.

Anywho, I really don't care about the "For Sale".  If we can unprotect "Member Created Parts", I'll be fine.  I don't see the harm in that.  I travel and I am in and out of wi-fi and phone service.  A feed reader captures the articles in sequential order as I drive down the road and pass in and out of phone service.  This way if I happen to stop in an area where there is no wi-fi or phone reception, I can still read the threads.

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

That "certain someone" is a member or he has a mole.  He has already proven that.
When?  I don't recall anything occurring since the change was made.

I have mixed feelings about it too.  It serves the intended purpose, but does complicate our access.

Sean
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

When?  I don't recall anything occurring since the change was made.
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/comments-for-the-code-of-conduct_topic12547_post103804.html#103804

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/50-years-collection-of-willys-parts_topic15298.html?KW=

I have mixed feelings about it too.  It serves the intended purpose, but does complicate our access.
What about "Member Created Parts?"  I don't see the harm.

He is not ban from ebay so He is going to see the auctions anyway.

Hiding "Wanted to Buy" I really don't understand but I don't have a problem with it.
However, if I'm looking for a part, I will probably post it in "General Discussion"

Edited by jpet - 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:19pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:30pm

How quick we forget!

The reason it's now "members only" was to prevent "a certain someone" from sniping us!

Please explain sniping in the context that you used it here.  I am well-acquainted with sniping in auctions since that's pretty much how I always bid on eBay.  Since the For Sale section here does not permit "best offer" type bids, are you simply referring to his, or another non-member's ability to purchase something from a member here, thereby depriving another member from purchasing the item? 

Edited by samcj2a - 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:32pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:38pm
The change came about shortly after the fraudulent "mother load" sale of barrels of rare optional parts from the guy in Frankenstein, MO.
The previous rule change banning comments on things for sale also contributed to the change and was another step on the slippery slope of the rules dominated method of controlling behavior. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings now do we? Who knows what other perceived slights will need some form of control in the future? I'm certain someone will find something they don't like and want a rule governing that also.

Perhaps its time to rethink this "rules road" and go back to the open environment we once had. There will always be some bad apples.... So what? Other than a few heated exchanges (that were entertaining to read.....or post to) things went OK without the rules. Plus it was most revealing of the various members character.

WFB 
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:38pm
Those both pre-date the change, and were probably the ones I was thinking of that prompted the change.

Can't do anything about ebay or other forums, but if it's only posted here, then members can't be sniped.

Anyway, whatever Russ decides is OK with me.

Sean
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:51pm
Now I understand why.  Thanks.

Those both pre-date the change, and were probably the ones I was thinking of that prompted the change.
These are not examples of a lurker sniping an auction.  These are examples to show that you can block ip addresses, MAC addresses and whatever but you can't stop someone from becoming a member if he is dead set against it.

Once again, I can assure you that you are blocking nothing.

I'm only concerned with MCP.  Nobody can snipe a member created part unless a "member" allows it.  The member can choose who he sells to.  I am (was) quite active in MCP.

I'll leave it alone now.  It's not that big of a deal really to me.Tongue
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 2:58pm
ok all.....here is your cross reference to understand part of the hype about the forum change put in place a while back.....

the change didn't, as this link will prove, cure anything.....

but it DID affect a new member, not here on the page, but on eBay, however, proof that ill intents towards a 2A member was admitted by the culprit via an email with said person and the 2A member...(member of whom had no idea who this "other" person is)...

and jeff, per our conversations, you are correct, ignoring "should" be the avenue taken, and for the most part, here on the site, it has been, and look at the road still being travelled.....

ignoring too does not work......

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

... and jeff, per our conversations, you are correct, ignoring "should" be the avenue taken, and for the most part, here on the site, it has been, and look at the road still being travelled.....

ignoring too does not work......

LOLLOLLOL oh please!LOLLOLLOL

That post is 2 pages long with over 600 views and 27 replies. Several not realted to the item for sale.  That is the drama that he along with 600+ enjoy.  I don't know of any individuals but it seems that several members would get pretty bored with the page if it weren't for this guy.  I mean let's be honest.  We can't wait for the next post to pop up.LOL
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 3:24pm
i think the actual point might be getting missed here.......

it isn't about the actual "drama" the a**hole instills....

it is about the admission of foul intent against a 2A member......and whether or not the auction for the NACO was found here, or eBay directly, that certain a**hole one more time attempts to wreak havoc against an individual simply because he is a 2A page member.....(and a new one at that)

the number of replies not directly about the a**hole in the thread is of no matter, but the few that the seller posted involving the a**hole IS......

the a**hole can keep his grinding wheel running non-stop if he so chooses, but to grind his axe on members here is bullsh*t, even if we cannot protect the membership from this.....

you are right, drama is his food of choice, and we ALL keep setting the table for him.....

won't be long, the drama haters will just tune out the site, and anything he is involved with.....

where is Jack Ruby when you need him?
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 3:37pm
Yeah, ..... I think I should switch horses .......

Ahhhhhh that's better.SmileSmileSmile

I wonder if I should do anything today.Smile
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 3:44pm
Ok, here's my 2 cents or more!

1. It does help the seller if there is a problem, at least a registered person will have had to put in an email address. So that does help when seller needs to contact a buyer.

Which brings up #2

2. Anyone can register as many times as they have email addresses.(We have seen that before!) So the original intent of restricting access does not work, nor was it the only reason for changing the way the forum was setup.

3. This is not a quite little place anymore, we have actually grown into a pretty busy forum. So please be aware of that you post here, it is out there for ALL THE WORLD to see! and not all of the people who see it have good intentions.

So I can put it to a vote, that's not a problem and it would be interesting to see how many people actually vote! Just like in the real elections!

Russ

PS: Great picture Jeff!

Edited by russnj - 25 Oct. 2010 at 3:46pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

PS: Great picture Jeff!
Yeah ...... sigh ..... isn't it though ....... What were we talking about anyway? Something about aspens and mountains or something .......
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 4:02pm
Russ,

Before you put it up for a vote, I need to register a few more times.  Also, don't let Del Clear vote more than once since he's registered at least 4 times here!  Wink LOL

Jeff, that was a great picture! Clap
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 4:07pm
i am all for unlocking it.....

what will be, will be......

very nice pic jeff....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 4:15pm
  It would be interesting to know why this unnamed person has it in for THE CJ2A PAGE and the way he is adrresed here surely dosn't help matters at all.  Could it be that someone on here offended him to start all this?  I don't really know him, but have dealt with him a few times with no problem what so ever.  There is 2 sides to every story.
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2010 at 4:21pm
hi Jim....

just as an FYI....the problem with the certain person happened long before you signed onto the site, and it really doesn't deserve bringing back to the surface, since the prior issue caused so much flack.....

in a nutshell.....all could be dealt with, until a threat of a lawsuit against the site webmaster happened......based purely with no merit........

i for one care less if the enamed lurks here, or signs on here.......but i refute him having the ability to screw with any 2A page member, directly, or indirectly......

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>