Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

seat belts... show of hands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPWizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: seat belts... show of hands
    Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 1:26am
I have a remarkably stock 48.  The tub is pretty badly rusted in places and a previous owner did terrible repair work, but the rest of the rig is in great shape, very complete and very origional (from what I know or can see). 

I did a little resto work, but $$$, time, space and a little bug in my ear are telling me to just put it back together and get it running again.  I finished welding a quick and dirty, but silly strong floor (with bracing) back in it.

I live near everything that I need and seldom go far or fast.  I'd like to daily drive the 48 when the weather is nice.  I'm in Socal, so that's not a problem. 

I'm seriously considering seat belts.  The tub is not worth much, except to rob small parts from to complete another nice tub. 

I was thinking about sandwiching plates on the floor just behind the seats to anchor the belts to. 

How many people feel naked without seat belts?  Any golden nuggets of wisdom regarding installation techniques?

Edited by JPWizard - 10 Feb. 2009 at 1:58am
The ass of my art form is always exposed
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 1:34am
You know, I wouldn't consider driving any other vehicle without belting up, but when I drive the 2A it doesn't seem to bother me so I never installed them. I think plating the mount bolts would be a minimum. Not sure but CA may require them, I've heard that they require roll bars so the seatbelt thing would fit right in. Up here the law is whatever equipment it originally came with.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
ADAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 1:51am
I had to install some lap belts in mine in order to drive on the base I work at.
I got two cheap belts and mounted one end to the bolts in the bed just behine the seats and drilled a hole thru the brace and body on the out board side of the seats, used the large bracing washers they came with when i bolted them in. if i was still in tha states i'd send ya some pictures of how i did it, took about 30 minutes to do.  
Have to say its rediculous when you think about what could happen to you should you get in a crash. Think your about as safe in these old gals as you are on motorcycle.  
Did find out later on from the base police that as long as you keep your antquie vehicles orginal you dont have to add in modern safety features. so i took the belts out and now have to plug the holes i drilled. go figure lol 
adamleppan@yahoo.com
if it dont fit force it if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyways! at least with gruman aircraft lol
Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 2:15am
Here in the People's Republic of California the law states that seat belts are required when they were provided as original equipment on the vehicle.

I get nervous when wearing a seat belt in a Jeep without a rollcage. As a matter of fact, I don't wear one and I tell my kids not to wear one when tooling around the ranch.  
Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 2:53am
I put them on my 46. I would feel uncomfortable driving without a belt.
I do worry about not having a roll bar, but I never drive it over 30 miles an hour. I think I would be in a world of hurt if I fell out.
Dougie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dougie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 5:06am
My brother has a 1954 Land Rover with seat belts. One day he was coming back from a parade with my wife and his 5 year old daughter, going about 15 mph. A car pulled out in front of them and they hit the side of it. It was a sudden stop, but as you can imagine they all were very thankful for having seat belts instead of Land Rover dashboard imprints in their faces. Even without modern crush zones or cushioned dashboards, seat belts are useful...
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 1:09pm

Yes it does feel weird to be driving down the road without a seat belt. In the same token it's weird to drive down the road without a door.

I have thought about seatbelts becasue my seats are vinyl and slippery. When driving around the property it's not uncommon to hit some big bumps and quickly find my rear with half a cheek hanging off the seat.

It's also not uncommon to see my passenger, as were just driving down the road (you have to know Michigan roads Ouch), have their right hand next to their hip, pushing on the door frame and the left is trying to find something on the dash to keep from sliding out the door.
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
ADAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 3:04pm
Been there done that in MI, grew up in Freeport, a few miles in MI roads is about the same as off roading lol!!
adamleppan@yahoo.com
if it dont fit force it if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyways! at least with gruman aircraft lol
JPWizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPWizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 3:18pm
I grew up in lansing MI and remember it all too.

Ya I'm more worried about passengers.  They don't have S#!+ to hold onto.
The ass of my art form is always exposed
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 3:51pm
I figure I am dead anyways.........and I died doin' something I enjoyed.

If I have a passenger I drive really defensively to the extreme and tell 'em.....
I have every safety device available in 1948...none.
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 6:36pm
I've been an advocate of seat belts since before they were required, and can remember having to mail-order a set to install in one of my early Dodges...

I believe that the odds are better that you'll survive in a crash/collision when using a belt than not, and I feel truly naked to get into a car, even to move it 50 feet, and not put my belt on first.

That said, I do NOT have belts in either of my Jeeps, and simply try to drive accordingly. When I DO go out on the public roads, I try to make myself as aware of the other guy as I can. Beyond that, I suppose I'm a fatalist.
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 6:49pm
I have lap belts in mine.  I wear them, they keep me from sliding or bumping out. I would not like to be strapped in during a roll over though.

Doug
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 11:00pm
I don't have belts and never considered them.  As already stated, what was originally on the vehicle is all that's required.  I do however drive as if I were on a bike....very defensive and always on the lookout for all the idiots who don't know how to drive. (you know....those people!) I've thought about running with my lights always on, but in the end decided to settle for a really loud horn.
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2009 at 1:31am
Hey Rico79, you ought to see the damned fools who ride bikes around here! Angry I often have them trying to intimidate me to speed up when I am at the back of a long line of car traffic moving at the speed limit! (No kidding, happened just this weekend and not for the first time).

Personally I won't ride a bike on the road. I will continue to drive defensively though. Regardless of which vehicle is conveying my carcass. 
Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2009 at 1:30pm

This thread got me to thinking. Yesterday I grabed the lap belts that came in my pile of CJ-5 parts and started to clean them up. Pretty sure I'm going to put them in the 2A.

Also decided I'm going to put the fold and tumble rear seat, that if I had to guess was out of a CJ-7, in my 2A too.... But thats another thread.

Edited by Scott R - 11 Feb. 2009 at 1:32pm

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2009 at 10:46pm
After the accident last fall retreiving a Jeep and rolling in the truck, if Rock and I weren't buckeled up it would have been much worse...BUT, I would only have seat belts in a Jeep if it had a roll bar.  Here is a little of the problem  in action...
And this vehicle did endos not a traditional roll.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2009 at 11:04pm
If my CJ came with a roll bar, I would have belts and shoulder harnesses. Since they were not stock originally, the belts would bother me and it wold be silly to not have them if you had a roll bar.
Mine does not have belts and I drive very defensively all the time.
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2009 at 4:08pm

I’m finding this discussion very interesting. Thank you JPWizard for starting this thread.

Since I have the belts to install, I’m on the fence at the moment to use them or not. I’ve been spending a lot of time pondering this and my judgment keeps changing as members weigh in on the subject with valid points.

Nobody can argue the only true safety feature of a CJ-2A is rule number 1: The driver needs to be defensive to the nth degree and drive her like the old gal she is.

The main reason presented so far of not having seat belts is in the case of a rollover. You will not get an argument here! I would much rather be thrown from a rolling 2A. One that does not have a good, solid mounted roll bar that is. This is the line of reasoning that snaps me back over to the side that, maybe seat belts are not a good idea. Ending up under an inverted Jeep is a mental picture I'd rather not have.

At this point, deciding if my safety and the safety of my passengers is best served wearing seatbelts or not, comes down to what is most likely to happen? The way see it, if I’m going to be injured in a 2A, it very like is going to be caused by one of the many people on the road that seem hell bent on ruining my day.

So what is the probability of rolling over a 2A? I’m not saying this in a facetious tone as in, come on guys what are the chances? I’ve only been involved with 2A’s about 2.5 years, a member here for almost 2 and having one road worthy only recently, so I don’t know. I say this because in my time on this board I don’t recall hearing of a 2A, that was being driven down the road, involved in a rollover. Is the probability of a rollover more possible than has been presented?

How do rollovers compare to the probability of being involved in a situation where all the muscle and coaxing of those 9” brakes isn’t going to avoid an accident that won’t roll you over?

Now if you’re of the school of thought against seatbelts, there is no need to defend your position. You present a very valid point regardless of the probability. I’m just looking for more info to decide if seatbelts are right for my situation. Maybe the facts and opinions presented will help a few lurkers decide too.

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by Scott R - 12 Feb. 2009 at 4:14pm

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>