Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front end alignment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front end alignment?
    Posted: 15 Feb. 2009 at 3:46pm
Not that I need an alignment at the moment,..but I was curious as to how this is done.
Do you measure the tread, wheel to wheel? Are there actual specs?
Had some work done on my YJ yesterday. I asked the shop owner if he could possibly align a 48'cj2a. He said sure,.. if he could find the specs.
1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2009 at 4:51pm
The only adjustment is the toe-in, specs are 3/64" -3/32". (from the Mechanic's Manual) Caster and Camber is not adjustable. (built into the axle). 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2009 at 4:59pm
Gale,
do you recall where on the tire you make that measurement?  If it's back at the rim, then there will be notably more toe-in than if it's out at the edge of the tread. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2009 at 5:27pm
I always thought that measurement was at the front of the tread.....that's why you need to do the alignment with the tires/wheels you will be running.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
GalenHorton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GalenHorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2009 at 6:41pm
You know, when I was in high school, the alignment I would do for my '74 CJ5 was to find a pothole on the opposite side of where the jeep was pulling . . . did the trick every time!  Wink
Galen in Northwest Arkansas

1947 CJ2A
1953 M38A1
2011 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sport
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2009 at 6:58pm
The measurements came out of the book, the procedure that accompanies with it says use a straight edge to get both front wheels pointed straight ahead and then turn each tie rod 1/2 turn in. I would think the measurement would be from the front edge of the tire (with standard sizes) though to be honest I'm not sure it's all that critical. When I did mine I used just under 1/8" toe in. 1/8" has been pretty standard toe in since time began. More than that will be a bit more stable, but wear tires out quickly, straight ahead or toed out will make the thing drift and dart from side to side. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2009 at 8:15pm
The measurement is taken at the front and rear of the front tires, half way down. As long as you use the exact same point on each tire for your measurements you will be OK. I prefer to use the inside edge of the tread. The measurement across the rear minus the measurement across the front is your toe-in setting.

Larry
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2009 at 10:24pm
If you jack the wheel up so it spins freely and get a buddy to turn the wheel, you can easily scribe a line on your tire with a scratch awl supported by a jack stand close to the tread surface.  You want a line similar to what Larry posted. Do this to both tires an then use the same buddy to hold the other end of the tape measure while you measure how far apart the lines are , in the front and iin back. THe difference is your toe in/out.  Been doing it that way for years on all my vehicles. 
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2009 at 8:33pm
Better late than never I guess. I knew I had a better pic of the toe-in setting for the jeep but I couldn't remember where. Well here it is, out of the 1945 CJ2A Maintenance Manual:

Larry
CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2009 at 9:58pm
Never too late! Thanks for posting.
1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
 Post Reply Post Reply