Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Fulton Hitch Replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Fulton Hitch Replacement?
    Posted: 22 Feb. 2009 at 4:49pm
I am going to be using my cover bantam soon and the hitch on it is a farmers special. I wanted to use and original hitch but they are hard to find. So I started searching around and found the fulton website, there seems to be a modern replacement or close looking replacement for the original hitch. Has anyone used the fulton 308 hitch on their trailer before? Here are some links.

http://www.crofttrailer.com/site/products/175/176/177/1277/details.html

http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/fulton-trailer-couplers.html

Edited by russnj - 22 Feb. 2009 at 4:49pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2009 at 6:59pm
I haven't used one of those, but it sure looks closer than any modern replacement. Looking at the pictures, it appears that there is a plate welded to the bottom of the "legs" (tough to see for sure from the angles) so part of that plate would have to be cut off to allow the back part of the "legs" to be angled to match the shape of the drawbar casting. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2009 at 9:36pm
I found a better picture, it looks like with a some work it should be ok. I am going to get one and find out.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2009 at 10:03pm
Russ,
If you need particular pictures of an original let me know, mine is currently setting on the shelf so I can get pretty much any angle you need.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2009 at 5:10am
There's also Titan - DICO couplers, as well.  These knobs are a little closer to the correct shape.

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2009 at 5:18am
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

andysjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andysjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2009 at 4:57pm

I just bought that same Fulton hitch.  Previous owner had cut the original.  Mine appears to be the type that had the strap steel connection.

Looks as if I will need to cut out the botton of the new hitch to get it to go on either side of the new strap I have to make.

Andy
TN
Andy
TN
46, 2A #24007
andysjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andysjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2009 at 4:18am

What mine should have looked like, an original pic I found, and my attemp with the fulton hitch pictured in an earlier post.  We cut the bottom sectionout to look more like orginal.
Andy
TN
46, 2A #24007
Robert Bills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Bills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2009 at 1:20am
The Fulton #308 (not the rental market part) is the closest you will find to the original Fulton 1 7/8" coupler.  All it takes is some cutting and bending, in locations obvious when you compare close  ups of the parts, and you will have something that looks almost original.   The original Fulton couplers mounted on Bantams appear to be the 1940s version of the same part, modified to fit by Bantam.  The knob won't be correct, but you may find an original knob someday, which I believe can easily be made to fit the modern part.

Robert Bills
Robert Bills
Orange County CA
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:08am
 I came across this online.  It's an O-8 but the box states that it replaces the 0-6.  I thought it was interesting that it came with a 1-7/8" ball also.
Dave
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 4:27am
I also have a round tube Fulton coupler, similar to the one that you found Dave.  Even though they are close in appearance to the Bantam Fultons, the mounting tabs on my round tube Fulton are too short to properly fit over the Bantam hitch casting without lengthening them so that they can reach the safety chain bolt...at least on my '46 they were.  What is the length of the mounting tabs on your model?...Just a wild guess, but I was curious if O-6 meant 6 inch long mount tabs, and O-8 meant 8 inch long mount tabs???

Also, the later square shaped hand wheel parts on my version of the round tube Fulton, do not fit the well in the early Fulton used on the Bantams, due to the diameter of the bolt threads and the size of the stamped ball retainer piece that the bolt goes through.  Which diameter bolt does your coupler use?

Lastly, are there any markings on the hitch ball?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the pictures!
Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 24 May 2012 at 4:28am
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:19pm
It is a little shorter when I lined up the bolt holes, as you can see, compared to an original. It looks like it would work with a little hammering.  I plan to use the original though.  The ball is only marked 1 7/8 on the top, no other markings. 
Dave
mdmeltdown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdmeltdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 8:58pm
I've got the later casting with the full square block up front.  Here's what you need to do for the Fulton #308 to fit and look as close to original as possible on that full "cast" casting.  Since this one is for a 2" ball, it is a little wider than the original.  Like what was said before, you have to cut out most of the existing bottom.  You also have to bend out the newly created arms to fit the A-frame of the trailer.  Since it is a little wider than original, I added plates to take up the gap.  If you have a press, you could probably get creative so it would sit flush with the casting and A-frame and not use plates....All is have is a BFH and a vise.  You could also just use washers.  I thought the welded plates would make a better mating surface and be more stable.  I originally had plates on the forward portion as well for the forward bolt that goes through the casting, but the whole hitch wouldn't go on because the forward "block" portion of the casting is wider than the pinnacle of the A-frame.  I may use washers there, but I don't think it's necessary.  That forward bolt just keeps the hitch from moving up and down.  I'll post some pics when it's all mounted up for those who follow this trail in the future.  BTW, drilling/cutting an angled hole that big for the rear bolt.....was hard. 

'70 v6 CJ5
Charlie W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2013 at 5:13pm
Did you ever mount this coupler?  I'd like to see photos of how it turned out. Thanks!
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2014 at 9:37pm
Hi,
I didn´t see any answer regarding the new Fulton Hitch, so as I´m also was working in my SPEN trailer and installed one 308 as was mentioned in this post, I think that maybe I could help with some photos:
Cheers,

CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
mdmeltdown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdmeltdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 10:59pm
Ok, I've had a HUGE hiatus from old jeep stuff, but I have had some movement on my trailer since 2013.  I did mount it up after my previous post and have used it constantly since 2013 for numerous camping trips with the family and as Cubmaster in the Cubscouts.  I have come to learn something about this hitch setup....it is way too dang short!  This trailer needs about another foot of front tang.  Backing this thing up with my truck is impossible and I jack-knifed it back in 2015 with my 2012 JKU and knocked out the tail light because I couldn't see it after it already got squirrely. 
Anyway, I had it painted and color match bed-lined to match my CJ5.  I'll post up some pics of the hitch setup. 
'70 v6 CJ5
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2018 at 1:08am
I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your hitch setup.

I've got an original Fulton 06 hitch on my trailer but it is fussy to use- lots of fiddling to get it tight on the ball and I have to use a wrench to hold the nut while it is tightened or loosened which is a pain. Once it's on it's fine. I'm thinking of switching it out for ease of use and to save the original hitch from wear and tear since it can't be replaced.

I also would like a longer tongue from time to time. I agree it is hard to back up these trailers with a truck since  you can't see it until it's too late. You really need a spotter. I have learned that very small steering corrections go a long way.

Anyway, my thinking is that I can make a receiver tube to fit over the drawbar casting which has a section that sticks out from the drawbars. The receiver tube would bolt to the casting and the drawbars just like the Fulton coupler does. This would allow a longer tongue bar to be added when I want it. I've seen one done like that (posted a pic below).

Here's a pic of my current hitch coupler before my recent renovation. I didn't do anything to the coupler except sandblast and paint it:

Edit: Here's the picture of the setup I am thinking of copying:

Edit: Here's another one I found:

Edited by takesiteasy - 26 Oct. 2018 at 3:53am
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 5:43pm
I posted a report about a new coupler I made for my trailer:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>