Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plow Mounting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plow Mounting
    Posted: 22 Mar. 2009 at 8:27pm
I've got a 47 CJ2A that I bought with a Meyers (I think) plow mounted on it.  The lift mechanism is all welded between the frame rails ad the front bumper.  The lower plow mount is only attached by shackles to the leaf springs, with a couple of pieces of angle iron welded between the plow mount crossbar and the front bumper, which are broken off because the main plow mount is to the moving leaf spring.  I'm pretty sure that the previous owner plowed with set up this way.  Can anyone send me photos of a plow mount that they've fabricated?  Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
Phil
1947 CJ2A with Snowplow
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2009 at 12:18am
The front frame ahead of the crossmember needs to be in really good shape to plow with.. if there are any cracks or rust damage it will get worse. 

You might want to keep an eye out for a factory built plow frame ...The better ones spread the load over the frame instead of concentrating the load at the front. Some use the spring to hold the frame up, then go back to brackets mounted to the frame rails using existing bolt holes, not getting welded to the frame which makes for eventual cracking. I have taken brackets off several jeeps which bolt thru the side rail aft of teh front axle, then drop below to hook to the plow.

You may want to see if you can find a Hiniker  plow frame, or a Western one.... THey both were pretty decent.  Recently in the For sale board a plow was sold that had a frame with side rails that extended way back in teh jeep.. Take a look...

Of course you won't find me plowing with a 2A ....I prefer to use old rusty worthless late model pickups with modern conveniences like heat and wipers that still work in snowstorms if I am forced to plow snow.. But now I'm in TX so I don't have to plow anything anyways.. Big smileBig smileBig smile
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2009 at 12:02pm
Bill is right about the front frame horns and carrying the load to the whole frame. I plow with mine every winter and I've never had a problem, I'm sure this Jeep has spent most of it's life plowing... My plow set-up doesnt bolt thru any part of the front framehorns, it "sandwiches" around it. The load is transfered along angle iron to the middle of the frame. Do an advanced search with "plow" I think we talked about it on page six. If you need more pics (some are gone) let me know.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2009 at 2:48pm
Gary, was hoping you'd chime in here.. You are the definitive expert on 2A plowing in my book. Smile

Uglyjeep was selling a front frame reenforcement that went inside the frame rails and helped support the crossmember area... Take a look in teh member created parts...It would be helpful to addd these to your frame if you haven't got something similar in place, at least to take care of teh loads when the plow is lifted.

And for petes sakes, don't try flying over  any speed bumps with a lifted plow. That's even bad for a Fisher plow mounted on a F 500.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

runner2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2009 at 3:10pm
Thanks all.  I wasn't able to find the thread using the Search feature.  Whatever pictures you have, Gary, would be much appreciated.   You could email them to pjuhas@charter.net or give me link to online photo storage if you have them somewhere. 
Phil
1947 CJ2A with Snowplow
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2009 at 11:26pm
I used to plow with my 47.  I purchased a used Meyers 6.5' elec hyd plow and had a welding shop fabricate push plates etc.  I may still have them if you are interested.  I also pushed from the front and 1/2 way back on the frame.  I was able to download the plow push parts diagram from Fisher plows for an early CJ5 and had them duplicated for my 2A.  I pushed a lot of snow for about 5 years with it.  Pushing strictly from the front is very tough on the frame that is why you see so many old 2A's with twisted/repaired front frame horns.
Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2009 at 12:42am
Jeff - Yes I'd be interested if you can scare them up.  

Phil
Phil
1947 CJ2A with Snowplow
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2009 at 1:21am
I'll try and find them again. Most of the 2a's here are now retired....  AH, yes the greatest generation.. But back in the day almost all 2A's had plow duty if they didn't have farm chores to do.

Like Jeff and Bill have said almost all the front frame horn damage is from failed snowplow mounts.
Here is mine (the lift is system is not so good, it's what it had, and will be changed this fall) the load of the plow is directed to the middle of the frame and has taken all the stress off the front frame horns. other good systems were the "Snow Dozer" with the Black Hawk cylinder. These didn't bolt to the frame either.

This is the "Snowdozer" plow mount. Notice that it attatches the same way and is also bolted to the front "thrubolt" on the gusset  (use your imagination here as it's not attatched to the front of the Jeep)

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2009 at 1:24am
if you can hang on until this weekend, I will dig what I have and send you some pics.  That is unless your serial number is 94,436 - that is my old Jeep and I would love her back LOL
Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2009 at 11:20am
Thanks for the pics Gary, and yes, I can hang on for the weekend.  I think we're finished with snow this season!

Phil
Phil
1947 CJ2A with Snowplow
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2009 at 2:43am
Hi Phil
sorry for the delay.  I checked what I had remaining for mounting parts as I realized after I posted that I mounted that same plow on a 94 Ford Explorer so all I have are the long push bars left.  These bars were custom made by a local welder who also made the lower plow mount for my Meyers.  They are sq tube that attached to the front of the push plates and traveled approx 5' to the center of the frame where they were bolted on.  They were custom made to fit his fabrication for the plow push plates - if you would like them let me know and we can sort out how to get them to you.
Jeff 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2009 at 4:11am
Thanks Jeff.  I would like to get them and I can fit them to my push plates.  Why don't you shoot me an email off-list and let me know where in NH you're located.  pjuhas@charter.net

Thanks,

Phil
Phil
1947 CJ2A with Snowplow
 Post Reply Post Reply