Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Doing actual work with the jeep..Add your photos!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doing actual work with the jeep..Add your photos!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 44>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

No rest for a working jeep. 

LOL  So true!

Today Wilson hauled out a couple "big trailer" loads of tree limbs,  and a few "Bantam" loads of firewood. (no photos of Bantam  Cry)

In this photo,  you can see where yesterday's 3 loads came from (in the background)  - >  the cleared out woods next to our yard.

A closer view of the trailer and Wilson.

Next up,  the big stuff.  

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 5:11pm
Moving the bigger pieces to wood shed I got the bright idea of trying to use the big trailer rather than several loads of Bantam.    I was not sure it would work trying to pull that much weight on damp trails, thru the woods.

I would not be surprised if that trailer and wood weighed almost twice as much as the '2A . .  that is freshly cut Oak

It is not evident in the photo below,  but there is a decent slope up to woodshed.

I think it might have made to top,  but I was focusing too much on whether the Jeep tires were spinning,  forgot that the trailer was much wider than Wilson, and clipped the stacked wood with the fender.   That knocked some of the wood under the tires,  bringing the rig to a quick stop.   Tried to reverse, clear the logs,  and continue up,   but there was no way it was going to pull that trailer from a stop, up that slope.

I might have been able to try backing down the hill,  and getting another run,  but decided to just winch the whole rig the rest of the way up.

Glad nobody was watching my foolishness,   Embarrassed  LOL

Edited by JeepFever - 10 Sep. 2020 at 5:26pm
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 6:05pm
I needed some shade.  Ironically, when my Grandfather bought it back in the 70's - it was a boat jockey at his boat sales & service business in Missouri.  It's not done this since the early 90's though :)  The boat is a 1995 Sea Ray, 23ft bow rider with a 5.7L V8.  Not light by any means.  4-LO but it didn't complain.  I'm sure grandpa chuckled a bit looking down too.

Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 4:13am
Moving the big logs out of front yard.   Going to cut into lumber.   It might be a little hard to see the winch cable.   The red arrow shows how it was run around the log.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2020 at 3:13am
In case nobody has noticed,  I love this thread.  LOL    Anytime I do some different "work" with Wilson,  I have to post here.  Smile

Today,  Wilson's "work" was to haul other equipment to the job.

My son recently bought some land with river frontage.  It has a cool picnic/camping area, but it had become very overgrown.  Earlier this week I borrowed a small tractor with brush hog to mow a path at the the site,  but there was still a lot of clearing to do.   I decided to buy a walk-behind brush-cutter/mower,  since we can probably get a lot of use out of it over the years.    Problem is,  this area only accessible via a 1/2 mile (sometimes steep and rough) trail.   (it was not fun driving down that trail with this narrow tractor,  off-camber was scary at times,  but that is another story)

As it turned out,  the mower fits perfect in a Bantam trailer.     So the mower can go anywhere a Jeep can. Smile

Ready to unload.    Any of the brush/weeds you see in these photos are gone now (I did not take "after" photos.)

In the photo above,   you can see a depression in the weeds,  just above the trailer.   This where I had previously used a string trimmer to clear out a walking path to the river shown in photo below.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2020 at 8:46am
It’s always great seeing the work Wilson is doing. 
Nice the trimmer fit so well in the bantam. 
Nothing makes work better than working out of a jeep!Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 1:09am
If there aren't any "after" photos, how do we know you actually did the job??  Big smile 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

It’s always great seeing the work Wilson is doing. 
Nice the trimmer fit so well in the bantam. 
Nothing makes work better than working out of a jeep!Clap

The universal Jeep is a multifunctional tool.  Smile

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

If there aren't any "after" photos, how do we know you actually did the job??  Big smile  

Hmmm . .  I need to get some photos

Today another task.   We had a small oak tree next to driveway that was used when backing out of driveway to determine where the edge of driveway was.   It died this year,  so time to go,  and be replaced by a lamp post.    

I did not want to have to dig it out,  so wanted to see if I could pull it out.

It worked,   tree out,   no digging required. Smile

Edit:  I doubt Wilson could have pulled out directly,  but with 3x force,  it was no problem.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2020 at 3:26am
More trail clearing.   Wilson's only "work" was to haul other tools to the site,  but hopefully that qualifies.

We now have a walking trail along the river of my son's new property.  3/4 mile total length.  I finished the last section today,  and it was the most difficult.  Lots of brush and briars!

This part was not fun.  That "V" shaped area in front of mower was basically chest-high weeds and briars that I hacked thru with machete,  (to be able to see where going).   Not obvious in photo, but there is a 14" dia snag of oak to remove further down.

After:

Another section that was not fun.  Small trees and briars taller than me.   Some of the briars had "trunks" on them over 1" in diameter.  

After . . .    not the exact same view,  but in same vicinity 

End of day . .  I thought the view looked cool,  but photo does not show justice.   Wilson and trailer have fresh mud on tires getting the mower to work site.   River visible in background

'2As are great tools!!  :-)

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 12:57am
Today Thumper got put to work moving some firewood with my M100 trailer.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 1:21am
Firewood . .  it is that time of year.  Smile
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 2:40am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Firewood . .  it is that time of year.  Smile

All summer has been firewood time.  At least next year too.

This is the biggest of about 50 trees that came down at our cabin in a wind storm last year.  And the next two pictures are two of the three piles of wood we've cut and split so far.  We're maybe 40% done.  The last pictures shows most of what's left.

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 7:26am
That should keep you warm for a while. Makes me want  to sit in front of the fireplace tonite, but its 80 degrees here.
Phil
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 11:56am
Getting some yard work done while the weather is still good. 

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by a4cj2a77 a4cj2a77 wrote:

That should keep you warm for a while. Makes me want  to sit in front of the fireplace tonite, but its 80 degrees here.
Phil

It's 27 degrees here right now, but we can't burn any of it today Unhappy The 130 year old cast iron wood stove we have here at the cabin is out being restored, so we only have electric heat.  But we'll start making a dent in it using the fireplace at home.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Today Thumper got put to work moving some firewood with my M100 trailer.

AKoller, what is this building?
Chop chop
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 9:21pm
clearing trails for jeep/mtn. bike/hiking on my property.

loading up:

arrival on-site:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2020 at 11:47pm
Trying out a gadget that I got as Christmas present.   

This "grubber" is designed for pulling trees out of ground.   I was very impressed with how well it worked.

Shown in photos is a 8" diameter maple that was cut only about 4" above ground.   I wanted it gone,  but did not want to dig it out.

Wilson is secured to the tree behind it,  to prevent sliding.   I used a pulley to approx double the winch's pulling force (6000lb winch,  but not on 1st wrap of drum).   The 8" diameter tree put up a good fight,  but eventually gave way.  

Closer view . . showing the "bite" of grubber.

The stump broke in half however,   so it seemed like best plan was to pull from other side to get the remainder out.  Rather than move Jeep,   I attached a pulley to a tree further down the trail.

Not highly visible in photo,  but this shows the results.   No digging necessary!! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 44>