Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Body work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2006 at 3:08pm

Oakes,

I have used hat channels from Jeepanels Plus, they are first rate and just about identical to stock unlike some of the others I have seen. Can't speak to the floor panels.

CJAlaska

Tiger Shark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Shark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2006 at 3:22pm
I bought a rear deck panel for my CJ5 from Classic Enterprises and it was identical to the original and fit perfectly.  The only difference was it didn't contain the wood inside the hat channel, but had spacers added where bolts would pass through.  Much better design in my opinion.

Jim
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2006 at 6:46pm

I've purchased parts from Classic and from Circle NR. Happy with both of them (and their US made!). The only gripe I've got was one edge on the rear floor I ordered from Classic wasn't bent at a clean 90 degree angle. But it was the correct gauge metal. Like Tiger Shark said they don't use wood, they use spacers. I would order from them again. I'll be sending off for some hat channels and a couple other thing from JPP here pretty soon too.

Morgan

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2006 at 10:40pm

I bought replacement floor panels and hat channel from Jeep panels plus and a replacement side from Classic Ent.  The JPP stuff was very sturdy (if I remember correctly the floor was 16 ga instead of the stock 18g?) and well made, but not as polished as the Classic panel.  The Classic was more expensive, but just a little more professional looking.  The hat channel was pretty good - I actually spliced some of the new stuff together with the original channel and you cannot tell.  The JPP rear floor channel did not have the central crease or groove, in it like my original did.

Gary, where can we follow along with your progress?

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2006 at 10:34pm

Bob,

We crashed our computer last weekend,  I'll try to update the photo shop to update my progress.... I will continue the progress and have a few opinions along the way. It would be fun to see someone else's along the way!.. Post another link if you have a project that we can all chime in on. That is what will make this site great.   I haven't quite come to grips with my solution but I'm open to the suggestions from the forum.

Gary

Edited by GaryArf - 10 Apr. 2006 at 10:39pm
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2006 at 10:42pm
gary the 46 2a in my album that was done by a guy here in baltimore had the same problems as you are having now. he replaces the complete body. i'll try to contact he if he is around maybe he can give you a idea of how he too care of these problems
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
carterwlsn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carterwlsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2006 at 11:50pm

Gary,

I feel your pain. I’m trying to restore a column shift body also. Last February I purchased a new front and rear floor, tailgate, dash, ect… A few weeks ago I sat the front floor on the rolling chassis just to see how it would fit. To my dismay it doesn’t fit at all. The hump in the center is not high enough. The floor sits on top of the transmission about an inch off the frame. Also the hat channel doesn’t line up with the mounts on the frame,nor does the hole for the cane shifter. Unfortunately the original floor is too far gone to patch up so I will have to move everything to make it work.

I just finished welding in the rear floor. It went in fairly easily and fit well. My only complaints with the rear floor are that the bent part spot welded to the finder has half the area of the original. Also the floor was warped. 

One of the first things I would do before welding in a new floor would be to remove the crappy wood in the hat channel. The floor will not last long being bare metal inside. I am going to soak the inside of mine with epoxy primer. I will post some pictures of the front floor tomorrow if I get a chance.

Good luck with your project,

Carter

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2006 at 10:55pm

Carter,

I feel your pain as well..I believe there is a lesson here for us all. Or at least me. I have fixed my jeeps without any new replacement panels in the past, just welding in the peices as needed with good success,, I have read many posts on who's panel to use and I did not. Now I pay the piper cause I wanted the hat channels installed..., in the wrong spot  

Gary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carterwlsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2006 at 8:52am
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2006 at 1:00pm

Carter, seeing the  pic of the rear corner panel you made on an English Wheel got me into searching. Check out what I found :

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/12ewheel.html

Pretty cool think I'm going to be building one of these. Are they hard to use?

Bob

46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2006 at 7:35pm

Carter,

Just looked through your photo album, Man, you could teach a community college course with all the steps you've gone through.  You've done excellent work. Looks like most of the jeep will be new when your done.  I really appreciate you posting and sorry to hear about your camera   .  Looks like the money pit took another couple hundred bucks.  I'll be working on mine this weekend, after the raking is done. 

Gary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carterwlsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2006 at 10:39pm

lomar15,

I like the look of that English wheel. It would be great for small projects. They are not too hard to use. The hardest part of making that panel was keeping the curve strait. The museum I volunteer at has a machine shop along with lots of special tools they let me use.    

Gary,

Thanks for the compliment. Restoring this Jeep has been a learning experience. Trial and error…….. mostly error.

Carter    

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 1:37pm

Did some more work last weekend here's a couple pics

I plan on cutting out the floor next along the white line. since the driveline hump has some rust I'll have to have a local steel supplier bend the outside edge flanges where the floor meets the side and then custom form up the tunnel. what do you think?

Gary

Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 4:24pm

"Some Work"?  Looks like a whole lot of work got done. Looks great.

Your plan for the floor is the same as I was planning except I have to build most of my transmission  hump.  Section the pieces to get the rough contours and then heat/hammer/dolly to make the radius's and smooth it. It might work, that's why I got 10' of 18 gauge I guess , just in case I have to do it twice.

Bob

46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
jeepman252 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepman252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 3:39pm

Looks really good Gary!

Keep it up and you'll be drivin her soon! 

Larry

47 CJ2A, "POPEYE", serial #129153, We're workin on it!!!
'04 WJ, blue, wifes DD
'98 ZJ, char gold, my DD
'97 ZJ, black, SOLD
'96 ZJ, char gold, RIP, met an 18 wheeler...
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 6:01pm
Or painting her?
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 12:59am
Gary, Man are you So far ahead of me!! I'm gonna have to get crackin' !! Looks really good so far, keep it up. MG
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12