Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake light switch.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake light switch.
    Posted: 19 July 2009 at 6:05am
Greetings!

I about have my Walcks harness installed, the only thing remaining being connecting the stop light switch.  Unfortunately, I do not remember how the switch was previously connected. 

The switch has two posts on the top which appear to be female connectors.  The bullet connectors on the harness fit into the posts on the switch but only one of them fits tightly when inserted.  Are the wires supposed to connect directly into the switch or is there a connector I am missing?  Walcks sight lists two stop light switches, one with male connectors and one with female connectors, which has added to my confusion.

The rest of the electrical seems to be working great, though I feel like I am getting lazy now that I can drive around the house at night and use the headlights as opposed to holding a flash light. LOL

Denny
1948 CJ2A
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 6:37am
I plugged mine directly into the switch, if it's loose you may need to "massage" the socket with a pair of pliers to get a tight fit. I think the other switch listed at walck's is for harnesses other than theirs. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Denny Denny wrote:

Greetings!

The rest of the electrical seems to be working great, though I feel like I am getting lazy now that I can drive around the house at night and use the headlights as opposed to holding a flash light. LOL

Denny

You are driving a Jeep inside the house? Now that's an understanding wife!!! TongueWink 

Just tighten your bullet connectors with a pair of pliers and stick them on there.. I'm surprised they are loose tho. Almost sounds like one was defective or was tried on something it didn't fit which stretched it.

And for petes sakes...just use the light switch in the wall next time you need to drive around the house.. LOL
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 2:42pm
This reminds me of some friends that my wife and I have who did really well in real estate a few years ago.  They managed to get out of the market at just the right time and now own a mansion on a couple of acres on the beach here in Florida. 

It reminds me of them because he really could drive a Jeep around inside his house.  It's really big enough for that.  No furniture would be required.  If you want to go to the kitchen just drive into the kitchen.  If you want to watch TV just drive to the "media room" and enjoy a drive in movie on their 8 foot television.  I guess if you have to go to the bathroom you might have to actually get out of the Jeep for that, but otherwise you wouldn't need a garage.

But back to the brake switch - I have the female version of the switch and it doesn't hook up well with my Jeep's female connectors.  I had to open up the connectors enough to slide over the switch connectors.  It seems a bit hokey but it's a solid fit.  I'm planning on ordering a different switch on my next parts order from Walck's.

Edited by Cammer - 19 July 2009 at 2:44pm

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 3:18pm
The switch that came on my jeep, came to me with one of the male post broken off. To get around buying a new swich I cut off the other post drilling and tapping into what was remaining. Then used the round end connectors on the wires with a small screw. That old switch didn't last too long and had to replace it recently. I had read a few times the male/female connectors can be problematic, getting dirty due to their location. So I gave the new switch the same treatment by cutting those post off too and staying with the round end connectors.
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 4:03pm
CJ2A (most of them) and CJ3A had different brake light switches. The early switch with male terminals (part number A-1271) was used up to CJ2A serial number 219465. The later switch with female terminals (part number 647801) was used in CJ2A after Serial number 219465 and all CJ3A.  When I look through the master parts list I see that there is a change for all Willys vehicals around late 48. Leads me to believe that maybe the switch manufacturer changed the design which forced Willys to change their design.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Denny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 5:45pm
Thanks for the help!  This morning I determined that one of the bullet ends was responsible for securing into the terminal.  As suggested, I squeezed it alittle bit with some pliars and got it where it would stay in place, which allowed me to discover that the switch is bad! Going to have to put another order in with Walck's after all.

The previous wiring was put together by my dad back in the '70s, it wasn't original but it worked fine until about 15 years ago.  Though, I believe the small Jeep fire we had that one time had something to do with that.  Here's the wiring I took out to install the new.
If I cut a hole in the side of the house, the jeep may just squeeze in the living room, but I don't believe that would be much appreciated by the rest of the family!

Edited by Denny - 19 July 2009 at 5:49pm
1948 CJ2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 6:04pm

Unless you just like ordering stuff through the mail, any good parts counter should have a switch. Take the old one with you and tell them you want a brake switch like "this one".

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Denny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 9:44pm
I am not a big fan of paying shipping for common parts.  At the same time I seem to have bad luck at the local parts stores.  About every time I attempt to buy something locally I usually wish I had ordered it and saved the aggravation.  I may try being adventurous again tomorrow.
1948 CJ2A
CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Unless you just like ordering stuff through the mail, any good parts counter should have a switch. Take the old one with you and tell them you want a brake switch like "this one".

Thats what I did at Autozone,...worked for me!
1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 1:25am
i ordered the female switch, and the male connectors on the walcks harness fit great.
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 1:58am
You can get the lesbien connector that has the female end on each side.... They are kinda troublesome and finicky at times, sometimes they heat up can shut you down for a couple days........ONLY to start working again without explaination, and no apparent problems for a week or two.....
It may be time to check the oil or brake fluid. If this doesn't work maybe you need a total brake adjustment, it's a hard call hear....

I just couldn't help responding like this, take no offenseWink

Edited by GaryArf - 20 July 2009 at 2:02am
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Denny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:56pm

No luck with the local auto parts stores but Walck's had the switch delivered by the end of the week.  Thanks again for the help!

Big smile

1948 CJ2A
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2009 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Denny Denny wrote:

No luck with the local auto parts stores but Walck's had the switch delivered by the end of the week.  Thanks again for the help!

Big smile

Denny, here is a question for you since you used the walcks harness. on my walcks harness there was only one brake light power line to the rear. I installed 2 taillights and they both came on with the light switch, but only one would brighten when the brake was depressed. I remedied the issue by ordering 2, 2 into 1 connectors and using extra wire and connectors to make a jumper so both lights would brighten.
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2009 at 6:22am
Hey Denny!  It's good to see another 2a guy here in Florida.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2009 at 10:33am
I realize you're driving down the road now, but I got a kit at Walmart with various sizes, cut the ends off of the wiring kit and used the sockets that fit.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
brokinluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokinluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2009 at 1:50am
I did the same thing as Bkreutz to remindy the same problem.Then I got scaireded.A plastic burning
smell tainted the air ,I removed a battery terminel and the Jeep sat outside that night.The next day
I removed the brake switch from the brake master cylinder and it carried that burnt smell on it.
I remember of some late Ford brake systems igniting .I do not know if a Jeep can torch itself from a
defective switch or not.Im not going lose another Jeep to fire.I replaced the switch and no more
plastic burn smell now.

Post Reply Post Reply