Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just saved a pair of 2a's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just saved a pair of 2a's
    Posted: 17 Aug. 2009 at 11:29am
it is an early m38a1 frame from 152-1953 I would say.  Only the early ones had the hinged grill.  You should fins that it is a bit longer than a flatty frame.  Flatty spring wont work as well.
2a_toys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2a_toys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2009 at 4:16am
Originally posted by ndrtkr ndrtkr wrote:

Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

It's not an M-38 frame. I am going to say it is probably M-38A1.

Bob M...Does the M38A1 have the boxed channel type front cross member like a GPW?
Just curious, as I don't know much about  M-38A1's.  Looks a little heavier than a GPW.

If it helps, this one is boxed all the way from the front to just in front of the clutch/brake attach.  What year is a M38A1?  curious.

This picture shows the passanger side.  The cardboard is my template for boxing the rest of the frame.
1947 CJ2a 146122
1948 CJ2a 185794
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2009 at 3:49am

Bob M...Does the M38A1 have the boxed channel type front cross member like a GPW?
Just curious, as I don't know much about  M-38A1's.  Looks a little heavier than a GPW.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2009 at 3:43am
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2009 at 3:19am
Looks like a M38 frame. Bob W will know for sure.

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
2a_toys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2a_toys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2009 at 2:59am

Originally posted by 2a_toys 2a_toys wrote:

Also, can you tell me what is so special about the military frame vs. cj frame?  The guy I got it from seemed to think the military frame was better.  Would that mean it was an older frame too?  Say early 40s?  I assume the 48 body will fit on it but haven't tried.

Do you have a photo of the frame? Sounds like it could be an MB or M-38 frame. The MB frame has a round "machine gun" bracket on it. The M-38 frame is considered to be stronger by many people. A CJ-2A body can be put on either frame but it's probably easier on the M-38 frame.

Well...I finally got the frame and body of the 48 in my shop.  Thought I would post an update.  The 47 is in storage for now until I get the 48 done.  The 48 is going to be the V8 toy and i've got to get it ready for the trails next spring.

So it turns out I have an MB frame based on Bob W above.  I assume the picture below is one of the machine gun mount.

Trailer hitch...looks original?

The beginning pile of parts

The 48 body and MB frame are going to have a 305 Chevy V8, TH350 automatic trans, Dana 20 Transfer Case, Dana 44 rear from a 69 Scout and a Dana 30 front from a 79 CJ.  I have spent a grand total of $350 so far on this one.  My goal is to see how little I can spend and still have a great go anywhere jeep.  I started boxing the frame this weekend.  Got all the plates made, as soon as it gets back from the sand blaster I'll start welding them in and then hang axles.
1947 CJ2a 146122
1948 CJ2a 185794
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 12:22am

Also, can you tell me what is so special about the military frame vs. cj frame?  The guy I got it from seemed to think the military frame was better.  Would that mean it was an older frame too?  Say early 40s?  I assume the 48 body will fit on it but haven't tried.

Do you have a photo of the frame? Sounds like it could be an MB or M-38 frame. The MB frame has a round "machine gun" bracket on it. The M-38 frame is considered to be stronger by many people. A CJ-2A body can be put on either frame but it's probably easier on the M-38 frame.
2a_toys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2a_toys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:39pm

There should be a bracket inside the rear wheel well on the side where the spare tire was located. The opposite side will not have the large reinforcement with the round hole in the center.

Ahh...wondered what that was for.  On the 47 it is on the passanger side.  The 48 I'm not sure.  I'll have to look tonight.

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 11:23pm
There should be a bracket inside the rear wheel well on the side where the spare tire was located. The opposite side will not have the large reinforcement with the round hole in the center.

sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 4:28pm

The jeeps look like a great start, much more there than I had to start with.

After I tore mine down the only parts that were salvagable was the motor, tranny, transfer, front and rear axles and steering box, all of which needed rebuilt. My frame and body was beyond repair.
Shawn
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
2a_toys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2a_toys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 4:24pm

Other CJ2a (don't know year) - 185794 

Is there anyway to find out what year based on the serial number?

Looks like it's a 1948. Do you have any more photos of the body tub? Is there a Body serial number plate below the vehicle serial number plate on the firewall? Which side was the spare tire carrier on? How about the top bow holder brackets?

Thanks!!

1948 is what I thought.  The plate with the 185794 is the only plate I remember seeing on the firewall but will look agian.  It doesn't have a spare tire carrier that I can see.  As for the bow holders, I only noticed the ones beside the seat backs.  I did notice it has a tool box in the back that has "Jeep" stamped into it.  Is that a factory option or did someone add that later?  I have a bunch of pictures of the tub on a different computer, I think I have a picture of the tool box as well.  I'll post them tonight.

Thanks,
Nick
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 5:09am

Welcome. Congrats on your aquistions. You'll find an incredible knowledge base from the members to help guide you through your jeep questions that you'll undoubtably run accross. You'll also find an excellent search function to look up past posts on various subjects that have been discussed. It's a great tool to find quick answers to common questions. If you haven't already done so, I would invest in a maintance manual, service manual, and a parts manual. These three books will save you alot of headaches trying to figure out your new 4 wheeled friend. Lastly, there are alot people here with tons of extra parts. A lot of the members have parted out jeeps and don't throw anything away... no matter how insignificant. Some members have reproduced parts and some have NOS parts on the shelf. If your looking for something that you don't see for sale, just ask. Somebody is bound to have it.

Good luck with your project and have fun with it both while your working on it and after it's done.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 3:17am
The devil is in the details.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 2:50am
Welcome to board!  
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2009 at 11:19pm

Looks like it's a 1948. Do you have any more photos of the body tub? Is there a Body serial number plate below the vehicle serial number plate on the firewall? Which side was the spare tire carrier on? How about the top bow holder brackets?

Thanks!!
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2009 at 9:16pm
http://www.thecj2apage.com/history.html
If you click on the jeep in the top left of your screen it takes ya to the home page, Vehicle history is wheer you want to look up your serial number...Thanks to Harold West!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

2a_toys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2a_toys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2009 at 8:43pm
Thanks for the welcome!  Yes...definitly jumped in with both feet.  There are actually some holes in the side...knocked the bondo out of them last night Confused.  also some very poorly welded in panels on the side and back of the tub.  Floors have been replaced..sorta, someone just laid sheet metal over the old ones then welded them in.  They have rusted through too.

Oh...I assume someone is keeping track of the ones still alive.  Here are my numbers:

Complete 47 CJ2a - 146122

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2009 at 8:28pm
Welcome to the group, looks like you've jumped in with both feet (and fully clothedLOL) Lots of good people and advice here, (after you get used to the "personalities", some of us have more "personality" than others.Cool) I think you've got a couple of good starts, the first one looks pretty good for a restoration, better than a lot of us have started with, I can't see any holes in the sides of the tub (but the bottom probably has them), and you've got a pair of original seat frames, from what I can see, the rust is just on the surface, nice find. Again, welcome.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>