Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v conversion on 1946...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Welsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2009 at 6:28am
Then I guess you need to follow RocNroll's advice, get an alternatior
brokinluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokinluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 2:10pm
 Can you jump an 8 volt with a 12 volt system to start your jeep by yourself?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 4:25pm
Yes

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokinluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2009 at 6:30pm
[QUOTE=brokinluck] Can you jump an 8 volt with a 12 volt system to start your jeep by yourself?
   Ofcourse I never have help when I need it I once blew out all my 6 volt lights after jumping my
Jeep with a 12 volt system.The only way I know is Touch and Tap method but that takes 2 people,
one at the switch and the other beside the battery clearing the jumper cables when the 6 volt car
starts.
 Thats why I converted mine to a 12volt /alternator system.It works great ,If I had not got a wild idea of using
my Jeep more than 6 miles from home Id left the Generator orginal system .Next Im hiding a cassette player to play things like Sons of Pioneers,ole Hank ,Zappa and the Doors....

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2009 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by brokinluck brokinluck wrote:

[QUOTE=brokinluck] ....... I once blew out all my 6 volt lights after jumping my
Jeep with a 12 volt system.

Were your lights on when this happened? Embarrassed

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2009 at 10:32pm
I jump my 6 volt tractors with 12 volts from time to time.  I don't advocate it, but it has worked for me without damage.  It will spin the starter like crazy.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2009 at 12:18am
.......And make sure the lights are OFF.....Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokinluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2009 at 11:36pm
Rocnroll ,it was in the day time when I jumped it ,my guess is the lights was off,I blamed myself for
doing it by myself and not pulling the cables fast enough alone.Now its molested to 12 volt Im past that worry.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2009 at 12:39am
Hmmmmm.....How does the power get through the switch to blow the bulbs if they are off?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Rusty B O B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty B O B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2013 at 8:28pm
What about using a shunt on the original AMP meter guage. I would like to convert to a 12 volt one wire alt. but maintain the original look on the dash with original guages. I found an original looking 12 volt gas guage but have not been able to find an original looking AMP. guage that goes to 100 amps. I see some info on the net about using a shunt but could not find any details for my situation. Can anyone help me out with some details of what type and size shunt? My original amp guage reads + - 50 amps. and the new alt is 80 amp. I believe the original AMP. guage will be pegged most of the time. Confused
Rusty B O B
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2013 at 9:37pm
Why would the alternator charge the battery at more than 50 amps most of the time? If the 12 volt system starts the engine so much better than the 6 volt system does, as so many claim, the alternator will have very little to do. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Rusty B O B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty B O B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2013 at 10:07pm
When you add up lights, heater and winch I think you can have more than or close to a 50 AMP draw causing the guage to become the week link in the system.  What do you think?< id="toWidget" style="display: none;" envelope="msg=IntrawidgetMessage&=broadcast&from=toolbar&to=all&id=undefined&payload=%7B%22msg%22%3A%22Reply%22%2C%22from%22%3A%22widget%20%22%2C%22to%22%3A%22widget%20%22%2C%22id%22%3A%22com.apn.%22%2C%22payload%22%3A%7B%7D%2C%22partner_id%22%3A%22ORJ-V7%22%2C%22token%22%3A%22GenericIWP%3Awidget%20-0%22%7D&token=TBMessaging%3Atoolbar-4&partner_id=ORJ-V7">< id="toToolbar" style="display: none;">
Rusty B O B
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2013 at 10:27pm
Lights & heater only draw thru the ammeter when the alternator is not supplying enough and amps have to come from the battery. (If the jeep is wired right). A winch, now, that's a different story. Current to power the winch should not be drawn thru the ammeter, but as the alternator replenishes the battery, that current would pass thru the meter. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2013 at 1:47am
A coupla questions...

1. It is better to rebuild the starter motor to 12V?

2. Can I just put an in-line resistor before the electrical gauges?

3. What optimal output from the alternator? I will be putting a Warn M8274-60 on the Willys eventually (280+ amps)

4. Do I need to change to a different head light switch?

ROC -- I love the look of that flathead v8! Very cool and old school.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 5:12am

I made this for Rusty B O B and put it on his other post and thought I would share it here as well if it helps anyone. I switched my 46 2A over to 12 Volts with a single wire alt and retained all the gauges except for switching the tank sending unit as it was bad and getting a new 12 volt gas gauge. The Alt I used was a NAPA part # 13-4011SW 63 AMP alt.

Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 5:30am
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

A couple questions...

1. It is better to rebuild the starter motor to 12V?

2. Can I just put an in-line resistor before the electrical gauges?

3. What optimal output from the alternator? I will be putting a Warn M8274-60 on the Willys eventually (280+ amps)

4. Do I need to change to a different head light switch?

ROC -- I love the look of that flathead v8! Very cool and old school.

Your 12 Starter should last as long as your not hammering on it. And when it dose give up then rebuild it. I have read on here of guys still using there 6volt starters for years on a 12 volt system and I had the same on a 52 Willys pickup I converted and it was still going strong five years later when I sold it.

The only gauge you will need to change is the Gas gauge and the sending unit in the tank to 12 volt. your temp/oil gauge will not be effected and the AMP gauge will not need to be changed either as it dose not care if it is 6 or 12 it just reads amps regardless. You will have to change you bulbs over to 12 volt though. And a 12 volt coil with internal resistor will be needed.      

The Alt I went with when I switched over was a NAPA part # 13-4011SW rated at 63 AMPs. You also have to keep in mind that the alt is not putting out maximum amps all the time it increases with the RPM's of the alt. Mine came with a chart( which I cant seem to find) but it gave a progressive chart at what it was putting out at what RPM at the pulley of the Alt. So with a 134L at maximum RPM you will probably be hard pressed to get the full amperage out of the alt.

The headlight switch will not need to be changed either and will work fine.

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 8:28pm
thanks.Smile
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
jay g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 8:54pm
I changer my 46 2a to 12 volt by using the bell housing starter and generator out of a 61 cj5 I used 12 volt headlights an amp gauge and 12 volt tail lights
Jay g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>