Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1947 Willys Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2011 at 5:07pm
Thanks Sean, I used some of your info from another thread to order standard parts from advanced auto for now.... I'll come back to it after we get her up and running. Problem is, to do the compare i'll need to buy one. ... we'll see.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 11 Apr. 2011 at 5:11pm
Jim
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by BOWJA01 BOWJA01 wrote:

... Problem is, to do the compare i'll need to buy one. ... we'll see.
Not really.  What I meant was to compare dimensions & measurements between your IAT and somebody elses IAD.  If they match, then the IAD Pertronix should work.

I have an IAD Big smile.  If you want to try it, let me know.

Sean
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 11:07pm

Thanks Sean, I may take you up on that ...  Appreciate it!

Jim
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2011 at 3:07pm
Would be an interesting exercise!

I'm sure the electronic guts are all the same,  just different physical packaging to fit different distributor points mount screw holes, and possibly different rotor sizes.

Sean
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2011 at 1:27am
My girl got a new set of kicks today.. 6.00 x 16 NDT 6 ply from STA.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 22 Apr. 2011 at 3:08am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2011 at 8:46pm
Bit of a setback getting it running. I had to send back both the starter and generator to the rebuilder. long story there.
Anyway, switched over to redoing the steering... disassembled and cleaned the steering box... I'll order parts Monday. Pulled the steering bellcrank off.. its a 3/4'' pin with the wedge pin.. its shot.. I'll need new bellcrank pin kit.  Pin was a bugger to get out...basically would not move.  My buddy came up with a great way to get it out without damaging the pin mounting on the cross member ... here are some pics of how he did it. Two large washers over the bottom of the pin..(he is pointing to the washers with a pen in one pic). attach the puller arms to the washers... nice flat surface and no damage to the cross member pin mount...  crank the puller down and hit the top... repeat.. pushed it right out.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 23 Apr. 2011 at 8:48pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:03pm

Just updating my project... been awhile...

Rebuilt the steering box with all new parts, new drag link innerds, new bellcrank pin/bushings... steering is nice an tight..no slop. Roughed in the new brake lines.. got a few issues to work out. Also started hanging new exhaust.
Jim
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 8:26pm
It's a thing of rare beauty Clap

You can't take that on the road - the dirt will upset you too much - why don't you bubble-wrap it and leave it where it is? LOL
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 1:53am
nah... my 8n looked like that when we redid her and we use her all the time around my place. I have to admit it turned into alot more than I originally planned. The more I got into it.. the more I wanted to do ... I learn alot with it and really enjoy all the time we spend goofing around with it. 
thanks for the kind words.
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 8:14pm

Just updating my project. We mounted the shocks on the 4th. They were Monroe blue, I repainted them semi-gloss black. Got a 5/8 bushing from TS and cut a slot in it to accept the cotter pin and used a C and bar clamps to press the washer on so we could put cotter pins in, less of a headache. Readjusted the carb to manifold stud lengths to make them a bit longer. Also, crushed the V-gasket grommets in a vise. I’ll try that first, if it’s a problem, I drill them out. Got the carb horn to cross-over tube rubber hoses and clamps on. Also mounted the radiator shield that I got from Mogger7/Rich.

Jim
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2011 at 5:30am
Excellent work!....... Hope my 2a can look that good soon.Smile
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2011 at 1:33pm
thanks... been taking my time and enjoying it. I deal with enough deadlines at work.. I like dragging my feet on this. It is pretty... hope it runs LOLWacko
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 12:57am
big
big weekend.. got the brake lines completely done... as well as the new exhaust hung. Finished some odds and ends up front.. Oil stick tube and filled her with oil, gen and starter tightened /  checked out, new crank pulley nut. Remounted the rad and filled her with water. No leaks.

Put her shoes on and pushed her out side in the sun... 1st time in 1 year.

Only logical thing was to fire it up.  .... which she did after a few minor issues.
Scratching our heads over why the glass fuel bowl was empty even though it seemed like we had good fuel... found a thread on here about it... got mine from walcks so it looks like the glass bowl never fills. Also, one of the mainfold studs was eaking... but after she ran a bit.. that stopped.
I'll try and post a youtube link of her starting for the first time.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 28 Oct. 2011 at 12:36am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 1:36pm
Here are some links of her starting over the weekend...

\

The loose metal sound in the one vid was caused by a clip on the clutch pressure plate that got knocked off at some point and was free laying in the bell housing... when we rev'd it up you'd hear it flying around in there. We took off the inspection plate and rev'd it... it flew out and hit me in the chest.... lol

The only leak we had was from the rear manifold bolt... the original stud was gone and retapped... so we sealed it and put a new bolt in when we installed the manifold....after the engine ran while .. it stopped completely... I'm going to leave it alone for now.  Going to drain the water and put in antifreeze.

Going to start the steering knuckles and brakes.

Phase II body starts soon.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 28 Oct. 2011 at 12:40am
Jim
fraxum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fraxum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 7:25pm
OP, the Jeep looks good and you are making nice progress.  

But I thought the original plans were to install a GM crate LSA V8?
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2011 at 12:29am

We made some progress on the project over the past several days. I got all the air cleaner parts, as well as the horn, cleaned, primed and painted. Also was able to extract the 2 broken off right fender bracket to frame bolts. We took a torch to them to heat them up, than was able to turn them with a vise grip... thank god they broke off about 1/8 inch above the surface. The blue wrench works again. Goofed up the frame paint a bit with the torch, so that area was cleaned and primed again. Hopefully this weekend I’ll attach the e-brake cable parts and the starter, master cylinder and transmission shields.

I’m going to start the body phase next. I’ll post some pics of its present condition this weekend. One of first things I need to correct are the turn signal mods that were made to the grill, I need to fill these holes. What gauge steel is this? Any comments/suggestions/tips on the body restore would be appreciated.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 28 Oct. 2011 at 12:24am
Jim
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2011 at 1:35am
Steel body is 18 Ga.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2011 at 1:51am

thanks ralf..I'm having Dave at Original Bodies attach new brackets to my front fenders and replace the willys panel on the windshield. I'm going to try and repair the grill mods here... I’ll pick up some sheet stock this week.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 10 Nov. 2011 at 10:20pm
Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>