Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1947 Willys Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2011 at 2:00am

Hi, Just updating my project. Got the e-brake cable attached and installed MC, Starter and trans belly shields. Patched the grill holes where the old turn signals were drilled, and best of all, my buddy  found the companion flange for the rear pto gear box in the 'saved' parts box.  I am a happy man! Going to open and clean the gear box next weekend and hopefully get  the full pto installed shortly afterward.   

Edited by BOWJA01 - 20 Aug. 2012 at 9:16pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2011 at 9:56pm
Flushed and a cleaned out the rear PTO gear over the weekend, and mounted it on the rear bumper. Looks like the muffler is going to interfere with the driveshaft....
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2011 at 8:51pm
Santa came to my house a little early this year... Its not Willys project related but I thought I'd share.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 03 Jan. 2012 at 6:01pm
Jim
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2011 at 9:05pm
Very nice, I'm jealous.Thumbs Up
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2011 at 10:14pm
Nice tag and topper Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2011 at 11:19pm

Drool drool...that brings back some memories, tho I am partial to the 30-1 Tudor myself.

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

OLDPEOPLE2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDPEOPLE2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2011 at 6:26am

Nice Santa. You need to bring that down here in october next year for are car show. It's a big one and I do have a place for her to stay in. 

Eleanor 1947 CJ2A #148236

They say money talks! All mine ever said was goodbye.
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2011 at 3:12pm
Thanks guys for the comments. My wife actually saw this for sale while running Christmas errands and called me to go check it out. I came home later and told her it followed me home and she just laughed. She was driving it up and down our drive for an hour or so yesterday np... just to get used to the double clutching.  I'm a very lucky man!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 1:29am
I attached the pto shaft this weekend, tried a few different combinations; ended up with the shaft under the exhaust pipe. Not sure I like it, pipe/muffler is very close to the crossmembers.
Plus pto shaft it rubbing the crossmember... wonder if new trans mount is to thick...

Edited by BOWJA01 - 04 Jan. 2012 at 2:07am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2012 at 5:52pm

Got the windshield back the other day. Had to have the front panel replaced, original was rotted out. It’s a Classic Ent. panel, very nice. Dave at original bodies installed it. He also replaced the fender braces, also classic enterprises, and repaired some sheet metal on both front fenders.  Got new windshield seals/parts from Walcks. Started looking at inner windshield frame. I started cleaning the old paint off the inner frame and found some great original red paint.  I’m going to take it to Sherwin Williams and have them shoot it with their color-eye and compare it to their gensis line auto paint mix ref number g2-1335-b (00) (match for ditzler  DAR 71965 PPG).

thought it was interesting that red paint was on window latch handle...

Edited by BOWJA01 - 12 Feb. 2012 at 5:57pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2012 at 11:05pm

I’ve been trying to separate the inner frame sections.  The fasteners are frozen. I’ll soak them in pb blaster for a few days to see if they’ll break free.  The passenger side glass pane is also cracked so I’ll replace both with safety glass. Reading other posts, seems like it’s best to get a glass shop to do it. But I want to clean/prep the frame for paint before the glass is inserted. Should I open the frame and remove the glass, clean/prep it for paint, then take it to the glass shop? Or will they need to see how it originally went together?   Looks like the inner frame latch handle matched the body color. Is this stock? Were the adjusting arms matching as well?

Jim
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2012 at 1:33pm
Jim,
My glass shop was eager to measure the height and width and then they decided the tolerance and took off all sharp corners.

I put in the modern safety class my self using a modern SIKA 291 sealer. The glass shop recommended me to use the insulation tape from Walcks (so I can renew/take out the glass if cracked) .

I the waited over night before I did the final job with he same sealer SIKA 291 used on boat windows.

Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2012 at 3:46am
Thank you Sten for the information, pic and great sealer tip.
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:06am

Just updating my project. Got the fenders and grill all done...bolted them on for a test fit..pretty happy with the alignment..

Edited by BOWJA01 - 21 May 2012 at 1:12am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2012 at 11:13pm
Just updating my project. Still no go on the front axle replacements. Got the seat frames cleaned up, repaired and painted during the past week. Got new seat pans, cushions and seat covers in the mail... going gray. Cleaned and primed inner windshield frame. .. its in bad shape. may need to punt on this one. Body is the last big hurdle... here are some pics..

Over all not that bad... front cowl is great.
Drivers side of rear bed has big hole and is very thin... pin holes everywhere. I have replacement bed from CE so thats gotta go in because I want the bed solid. Body had a bunch of lap joint repairs.... I  really do not want to tear these out.. Front floors were repaired at some point... some bad spots... floor channels in pretty bad shape.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 08 Sep. 2012 at 3:07am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2012 at 6:24pm

I made good progress the past few weeks. Finished back brakes. I still have to do the front brakes. Got the seat frames/pans painted; I went gray on the seat covers.  This weekend I took advantage of the weather and my two brothers painted everything but the tub and the inner windshield frame. I took the old inner frame with the original Luzon red on it to Sherwin Williams auto paint store and matched it. I gave up on trying to find paint codes that match up. I’m pleased with the color.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 20 Sep. 2012 at 2:31pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2012 at 7:14pm
more pics..

Edited by BOWJA01 - 03 Sep. 2012 at 7:18pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2012 at 8:22pm
1 more

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>