Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1947 Willys Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2010 at 9:22pm
Gale,

Is this confusion the reason your's is black? LOL 

I have the Harvest tan chip reprinted from the CJ2A site on glossy photo paper.  It LOOKS OK, and is an almost perfect match for a Rustoleum color called "Sand"

My wheels are already the wrong color for anything, so I think it will be matched to "Sand" and call it good.

I often go through this same issue in model building, it never ends.

Good luck, Jim, what ever you decide, it will be excellent!!!

BTW, the Wake Ivory looks like school bus yellow on my monitor.

John
Free men are not equal, equal men are not free -- Jerry Pournelle

48 CJ2A
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2010 at 2:49am
Yes John, the only decisions I had to make was Black or "Plated" (not counting the orange on the oil filterLOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2010 at 2:05am
Just updating my project.. got the new water pump... looks like old one is missing some fitting holes.  debating on leaving it unpainted... nice contrast to the all black block.

Also, realized that I put the wrong engine plate on the block. I got the new plate because the original on the motor was cut off and repaired. I figured since I had it out, I'd replace it with a good one. When I got it from my parts guy I was only looking to see that both plate tabs faced toward the rear of the frame. Didnt realize it was totally wrong... to high and no room for fuel pump.. duh.
My fault... should have looked at it closer. Correct one on its way. BTW, I'm thinking this plate is also causing my pulley to rub on the timing gear cover... I think its thicker than the correct 2a plate... we'll see.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 03 Apr. 2011 at 10:07pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2010 at 11:30pm
Got replacement front engine plate today... here is the old one...
here is the replacement...
seems to be the correct plate..

dont understand why the 2 motor mount holes on the one side... is this normal?

Edited by BOWJA01 - 03 Apr. 2011 at 10:03pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 9:03pm

It’s been awhile since I last updated this project. Been really busy and to be honest I don’t enjoy working in the cold garage/barn.. it takes all the fun out of the project. Anyway, the past few Saturday’s my buddy and I spent a few hours each day rebuilding the transmission in his heated shop. After opening it up, it was pretty clear that there was a lot of general wear and 2nd gear was a bit of a mess.  Separated the trans from the t-case. Gutted / cleaned it and installed new 2nd gear, synchronizer unit, cluster gear/shaft, bearings, etc. (Cleaned and checked the transfer case and everything looks nice and tight… no problems there   We also added new shift rail poppet balls and springs.  Also spent some time and repaired the threads on the end of the trans cane shifter. Mated the trans and t-case, and gave it a new coat of semi-gloss black.  (trans/t-case were previously sandblasted and primed using RUST-O rusty metal brown primer)

Last Sunday we installed the front engine plate… AGAIN.. it’s the correct one this time. While the front plate was off , we installed the new fuel pump.  Installed new manifold studs / brass nuts and mounted the manifold. The manifold was sandblasted when we sandblasted the frame, and last fall I painted it using the gray POR-15 manifold paint. The gray manifold looks good against the black block…. Hope it holds up.  Installed the new water pump and fan.  With everything being black, I’m replacing non original bolts/nut with grade 8 coated bolts/nuts . I like the look of it. I think it gives a little detail to that sea of black.

A few weeks back, I had the rims cleaned up by my machine shop guy. Today I took the rims down to my local paint guy. …good price to sand and shoot them ( it’s still too cold to paint in my garage or barn). I should have them back next week so I can mount the new tires. It’ll be nice to see it rolling again. I decided to go with the S/W light tan on the rims. I was thinking about shooting them with rattle can RUST –O Sand, but decided against it. Since I already purchased the S/W paint last fall, I figured I’d use it. .. we’ll see how they come out.

Cleaned / checked the pressure plate.  Installed new correct 2A ring gear (to go with the rebuilt 2a starter) to the flywheel. We’ll also install new clutch pad / parts (cable,fork,etc).

So it looks like this Saturday we’re going to mate the block to the trans/t-case and mount it on the frame. It will be nice to start bolting things onto it! I’ll post pics when I can.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 28 Mar. 2011 at 4:01pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 9:59pm

Edited by BOWJA01 - 28 Mar. 2011 at 4:03pm
Jim
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2011 at 12:56am
Looking sharp! Thumbs Up Since it looks like you're trying to do a pretty correct restoration, I just thought I'd point out that your front bumper is mounted upside down. Wink

Brandon
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2011 at 1:39am

Thanks Brandon, I didnt even notice. Funny, that was one of the first things I purchased for it since it didnt have one when I got it. I'll flip it over.. thanks for pointing it out.

Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2011 at 3:07am
Made some really great progress today...

Edited by BOWJA01 - 03 Apr. 2011 at 4:30pm
Jim
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2011 at 11:49am
Excellant work! Looking really great!

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2011 at 1:14am
Thanks Mike, hope to get more done this weekend....

Edited by BOWJA01 - 03 Apr. 2011 at 1:40am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2011 at 8:27pm

Got a lot done yesterday… its great to be able to bolt stuff on.

1.   Mounted new oil filter bracket and air cross-over tube

2.       Torque head bolts

3.      Mounted rebuilt starter

4.       Mounted rebuilt generator and fan belt

5.       Mounted new oil filter and oil lines

6.       Mounted new radiator and hoses

7.       Mounted new rebuilt carb and fuel line from fuel pump to carb

8.       Installed clutch bell crank / new spring / pad kit  

So far I’m happy with it… have a few questions about the air horn cross over tube connections…

Here are some pics..

Edited by BOWJA01 - 04 Apr. 2011 at 3:26am
Jim
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2011 at 11:25pm
Jim
That looks really good!Clap
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2011 at 1:22pm
Looking good!
Looks like we are running close together on our projects right now. The only difference is I have my plug wires on.
Congats on the progress!!

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2011 at 1:32pm
Looks great!

While you have it this far apart, you should change out the bushing in the bell housing for the starter if you haven't changed it already.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2011 at 5:48pm
Thanks Mike.. been checking out your project ... yours is looking really nice...

Russ, thx for the advise... I did change the bushing out b4 I installed the bell housing. But please, if you see stuff like that let me know. I'm totally new to these flat fenders, so I'm sure to fall into a lot of common problems.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 05 Apr. 2011 at 7:50pm
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2011 at 2:06am
Spent yesterday working on the project.. gutted and rebuilt distributor, mounted new wires, coil and battery.. hope to make some noise with it soon. 

When we were going over the electrical stuff, we checked out the rebuilt generator to make sure it functioned properly. Spun the pulley and could hear a bit of a grinding noise. Opened the end up and found 60 year old grease and dirt in the bushing and the oil wick and reservoir clogged with gunk. Nice work, paid good money to have it rebuilt by really well known Willys parts supplier. Figured I save myself some time and headache and have it professionally rebuilt.

Distributor is a IAT-4008, has vacuum advance, so I’ll be researching the parts I need to make that work. I wanted to do electronic ignition, but evidently Pertronics doesn’t make a kit for this distributor.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 13 Apr. 2011 at 4:40pm
Jim
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2011 at 3:03pm
Jim:
Quote Distributor is a IAT-4008  ...  I wanted to do electronic ignition, but evidently Pertronics doesn’t make a kit for this distributor.
I saw your earlier question re: IAT-4008 earlier, but spaced off replying.

Ya might want to investigate a bit.  Compare points mounting holes & breaker cam dimensions against an IAD-4008.  I have a suspicion they will be the same.  If so, then the IAD kit should work.

Sean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>