Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reusing leaf springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reusing leaf springs
    Posted: 02 Feb. 2010 at 8:01pm
Wondering at what point it's a good idea to replace old leaf springs.  None are broken on my 46 but there's a some rust bleeding off that doesn't look too good on the rear.  Anyone have pictures of leaf spring refurbishings?  I'd like to be able to reuse as they still had bounce and none were broken.  I was going to give them a good cleaning and a paint job.  Any input on this would be great!  Thumbs Up
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2010 at 8:05pm
jump in my project thread :)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

randyscycle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyscycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2010 at 9:10pm
 My rule of thumb is generally to take them apart and see what's there. If none of the leaves are worn into one another, the eyes are serviceable,  and nothing is broken, and the ride height of the Jeep seemed to not be compromised too much, then I'll reuse them.

I usually lay them all out and clean them very well, then paint them with Slip Plate which a is a graphite impregnated paint. Then I reassemble and use a new center bolt.
It isn't leaking, it's just marking its territory.
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2010 at 10:10pm
New USA made springs from walicks are pretty cheap.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2010 at 11:31pm
^ but unfortunately, so am I. Thumbs Up
snagfird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snagfird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2010 at 12:19am
I recently had planned to refurbish the leaf springs on my 46 CJ2A, but discovered once the springs were disassembled they were in worse condition than appeared, heavy rust, splits/cracks on the face of each leaf.  I purchased new springs front and back.
snagfird
1946 CJ2A
Trust but verify
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2010 at 1:10am
I haven't found any splits or cracks on any of the leafs, i'm just going to clean them real well and see if i can find anything wrong with them.  I'll take some pictures after i've cleaned them and post em up.
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2010 at 1:20am
The tappered springs that are Willys originally used aren't available, so a good set of original springs are of value to the purist.

I'm interested in the "Slip Paint" Randy mentioned. It seems only natural that this area would have a hard time holding up in the paint area.

Another point about old springs is that from what I've read, that "respringing" them doesn't last long...If someones got something different here I'm all ears.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2010 at 2:33am
Gary,
Re-arcing spring used to be common, not anymore. I was lucky to find an "old time" spring shop who did mine the correct way (anneal the metal, reshape them, and then re-temper them) I don't think this place is long for the world though, the owner is getting quite old and had been talking about closing down for a couple of years now(says he can't find anyone who wants to learn the business, guess it's easier to buy replacement parts, or just scrap the car), as far as I know, he's the only one left in the area. He (and his knowledge) will be missed.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2010 at 3:56pm

Here's a few shots of the springs i have to work with.

Out of curiosity, anybody know what thickness these springs started out as, i'm wondering just how much metal has flaked off as rust.

Mat L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mat L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2010 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by randyscycle randyscycle wrote:

paint them with Slip Plate which a is a graphite impregnated paint.  

I have been looking for something just like this. Thanks for the advice. 

I'll have to go the route of painting each leaf individually then since i am refurbishing an old MB i would over coat the assembled pack with OD paint.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2010 at 6:50pm
 Peter Debella has the correct return clips for a rebuild job since they usally break when they are removed.  If you have the way to press the dimple in them, (I used a shop press to make mine) they are not to hard to make.
  Your springs looks pretty good and well worth rebuilding.

I have some NOS center bolts and if you need a couple I will send them to you for the cost of the postage.
     JIM
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
randyscycle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyscycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2010 at 9:30pm
 Here is a link to the company: http://www.slipplate.com/

There are plenty of online dealers. Just do a Google.

My local hardware store carries it in these parts.
It isn't leaking, it's just marking its territory.
mean7gene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mean7gene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2010 at 11:36pm
I debated this, but decided to do restore my old ones. It's a pain, but all you have to do is take them apart, run each leaf over a wire wheel on the bench, coat with Jasco Rust Converter, repaint, grease each leaf and re-assemble. Good as new!

Thesee were really stiff springs from the factory, with lots of leafs, and WIllys are light weight, so they're probably fine to reuse.
pics One restored, and one unrestored :

Post Reply Post Reply