Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tecumseh ideas anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodshopguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tecumseh ideas anyone?
    Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 5:58pm
I know this is not a 2a question, but you guys are the only "motor heads" I know. I guess the admin will move this post if it is not appropriate, but, I am exhausted and stumped over this I'll keep it short . . . give me any ideas you have:
I have an old airens snow blower with a 6 hp tecumseh engine. Alway ran great. This season I had to clean the points because I lost spark. To get to the points, I have to take out 3 head bolts and loosen 2 others.  So I did that, cleaned the points and put it back together. Ran fine but a bit rough so I took it apart again to reset the gap. This time I forgot to tighten all the head bolts, and when I pulled the starter rope, It started, ran for a few seconds and popped like crazy. I instantly realized what I did (duhhhh) and shut it down. I took off the head, cleaned it checked the gasket and Re-torqued the head . . .   now it just WON'T START I have done everything I can think of and it just sputters and dies. It is getting fuel, getting goooood spark, and seems to have compression (finger in the plug hole test)  . . . . I figure I screwed something up with the little head bolt mishap . . . what could have been damaged and what should I check? I'm just plumb out of ideas (and my back hurts from about a billion starter cord pulls)

-Doug.

#33468 Column Shift
42 GPW on the TO DO list
Bantam #259
3.25 @ Bantam Trailers (Also TO DO)
41 Ford Coupe coming along slowly

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 6:37pm
I'm thinking a vacuum leak where the carb bolts to the engine?? Long distance diagnosis is sooo tough. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
HarryC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 7:05pm
I agree with Gale.  

Do you have something else to move all the snow we got here in PA?
woodshopguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodshopguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 7:16pm
Hmmmm, vaccume leak . . . I'll check it out. a good possibility. maybe backfiring blew a hole in a gasket or something . . . The only other thing I have to move snow is a straight stick with a flat metal blade on the end . . . but I don't have a lot to clear, the blower is kind of just for fun and to help out the neighbors . . . It just irritates me when I can't figure out why a mechanical device won't work!!!  
#33468 Column Shift
42 GPW on the TO DO list
Bantam #259

HarryC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by woodshopguy woodshopguy wrote:

but I don't have a lot to clear, the blower is kind of just for fun

That's good....we got about 28 inches here.

Originally posted by woodshopguy woodshopguy wrote:

It just irritates me when I can't figure out why a mechanical device won't work!!!  

I totally understand.

Edited by HarryC - 06 Feb. 2010 at 7:55pm
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 10:55pm
You may have split your key on the flywheel.  Back firing, hitting something, jamming, may have caused this.  This will place the timing off just enough to cause non start, back firing, sputtering.  Take your flywheel off and it is right there on the crank shaft.  Believe me it can be split just a little to mahe a big difference.  No matter what replace it.  Did you know that the 16 hp. tuchumseh carb. has the same butterfly that the 48 willys carb has in it?  Even has the little kink on it.
Ed
cj2a lefty
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2010 at 1:00am
Ed,
Good idea on the key, had that happen once on a lawn mower, didn't even cross my mind on this one.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2010 at 2:36am
I think Ed is right on the money Doug.  It's easy to check.  Hopefully your flywheel will come off easy!
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2010 at 5:24am
If the key on the flywheel is not sheared.
And you don't have a vacuum leak. 
I would remove the head and replace the gasket.  These motors don't have much compression to begin with, so a compromised gasket could be leaking enough to lower compression.
If you don't have access to a new gasket, spray the old one with permatex copper spray a gasket.  (this stuff is a works)  if you don't have the permatex, ordinary rattle bomb spray paint may provide enough tack to re-seal an old gasket.
Also do a check of the valve movement to enure they are opening and closing properly.
Shawn
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodshopguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2010 at 2:36pm
These are some good ideas  . . . key I guess will be the first check. Easy to inspect. . . . I'm also going to do the head gasket. It looks fine, but it very well could be damaged  . . . I wonder if the head could have gotten warped by not being tight ? Could have bent it up a bit being held down by only bolts on one side? It is pretty light aluminum . .  .  . . . The book says you should have 80 pounds of compression on a new engine. They say to look for problems if you drop to 60 pounds. I have EXACTLY 60 pounds  . .  . . I'll see if a local shop has a head gasket on the shelf. .. online they are only about $4.00 also.

-Doug.
#33468 Column Shift
42 GPW on the TO DO list
Bantam #259

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodshopguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 3:44am
Well, an update to anyone who is still following . . . I see my post has been moved to the other vehicles . . . guess that is to be expected . . . I also noticed the discussion on the general section pertaining to that very subject of moving posts and the purpose of general discussion.

I checked for vaccume leaks, checke d the key, re set timing, all of which seemed ok. I also picked up a new head gasket at the local shop . . . put it on, proper torqued . . .  of course, I thought hey, I'll just get this head on see if it runs before I put all of the shrouding back on this thing, because I fully expect to have to tear it down again . . . so to save some time I put on the bare minimum parts and . . . (a bit of foreshadowing there)  . . .  gave it a pull . . . . This darn engine started right up and RAN BETTER THEN IT HAS EVER RUN!!!! Timing is perfect, rev it up, hums like a kitten (do kittens hum?) . . . . so I take it out into the driveway and show the neighbors that we are ready to rip for tomorrow's storm!!!

Ahh, but the shrouding you say, we should put that back on right!! Well so I did . . . pulled a few head bolts back out, remounted the gas tank, and sheet metal, and did a proper button up on the entire monster . . . Everything is NOW dress right dress . . . . . Final test pull before bed and  . . . you guessed it, back to square 1. Farting out of the head again, missing, won't start, acting like timing problems . . . . . and yes, I did throw a ratchet across the yard at that point, closely followed by an adjustable wrench. . . (still can't find my 7/16" deep well) . . . .

ARE THESE HEAD GASKETS ONE TIME USE??? I just can't imagine why an engine maker would put serviceable equipment (ie points and condensor and magneto) under head bolts, if you wern't supposed to remove the headbolts to service those parts? Am I missing something?

Anyway, I'll get YET ANOTHER head gasket tomorrow . . . another $9.00 and do it all over again . . . I just am not going to shovel the next 16 inches of snow!!

-Doug.

#33468 Column Shift
42 GPW on the TO DO list
Bantam #259

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 4:52am
Every head gasket I have seen is single use.  I suppose you could get lucky with one, but I would always replace a head gasket every time the head was loosened or removed.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
HarryC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 1:54pm
Oh my!  What a time you are having with that blower.  I hope you get it fixed today before this big one comes through. 

My back still hurts from the weekend's storm.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Edited by HarryC - 09 Feb. 2010 at 1:54pm
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 6:01pm
Any chance something is grounding out the spark with the covers and all back in place?
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 10:21pm
I feel your pain, my rotiller would not start this spring, no matter what I did to it.  I took it to the shop (an nice gentlemen in his 80's).  He got it running but would not tell be what he did to it.  Only charged me 28 dollars.  He started it up and it ran fine so I took it home and put it in the shed.
I needed about a month later, and it would not start, for some reason this time it has no spark.
I pushed it back in the shed and it is still there. 
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodshopguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2010 at 9:00pm
Well, I finally found the problem . . . now wait, this is actually kind of Willys related . .  . After getting so completely frustrated, I tore down and rebuilt the entire engine. . . . inside and out, it was in perfect shape. Still had the factory cross hatch hone marks on the cylinder wall . . . I could find absolutely NOTHING wrong with this motor. So I put it all back together re-lapped in the valves, and set everything back to factory specs. And after ALL THAT WORK TILL 3AM one morning as it is snowing like crazy outside, It still would NOT run, coughs, sputter, then nothing for another 30 pulls . . . . .  So at this point it is kind of a joke for me. I'm just laughing at this thing and starting to look for a new motor . . .  . . . But in talking with my Dad, he of course said "did you put in a new spark plug, and is it getting nice blue spark??" Answer: YES, brand new plug in the fall properly gaped and getting strong spark to get ready for the season . . . . He said "Replace it" . . .  I laughed, why? it is brand new, has about 5 minutes of run time on it before all this crap happened!. . . Almost to humor him and figuring I would prove him wrong, I grabbed the ONLY OTHER PLUG I HAD IN THE SHOP . . . it is a rusted, corroded, piece of crap, 60 year old plug from when I tore down my Willys motor, had it thrown in a box with all the other busted and broken motor parts and gasket shreads. It was covered in spray paint because I put these old plugs in the head when I painted it . . . . I hit the tip and the electrode on the wire wheel, DIDN'T EVEN CHECK THE GAP . . .  kind of figured it was a stupid experiment anyway, but in 2 PULLS, the GOSH DARN THING STARTED UP!! IT runs better then it ever has. (guess it should after all I rebuilt and reset everything) I blew paths all over the yard and put that motor into the deepest drifts I could find, and it is absolutely unstopable! Starts COLD on the first pull . . . .

So Moral of the story for me is, don't necessarily trust BRAND NEW PARTS . . . they might very well be faulty. As much as I hate to say it, the quality control of some manufacturers (over seas??) has certainly gone down hill . . . . anyway, at least problem is solved . . .

Soooooo as much as I hate to say it: Think snow! Might get 6 inches in the north east here tonight!
-Doug. 
#33468 Column Shift
42 GPW on the TO DO list
Bantam #259

HarryC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2010 at 9:35pm
Wow what a story!  Thanks for the update.   Glad it is up and running for you.  The snow should be coming your way soon. It just started about an hour ago here.  

A common saying in my family when something new/newish breaks is, "They don't make stuff good anymore".  Sad but true.  

....BTW, the other moral of the story....listen to your dad. Wink 

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2010 at 9:39pm
Another thing to think of is..Why do new parts have a warranty? (the most likely time for a part to fail is when it's new.)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>