Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Look what was 2.5 miles away!! #655

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look what was 2.5 miles away!! #655
    Posted: 15 Apr. 2010 at 11:44pm
So, found this on Craigslist about three days ago (about 2.5 miles from my house, crazy).  They were asking $500, I showed up in my Marine Corps Service Charlies directly from work in my 48 and the guy had no qualms about taking $300 just had to get it approved through the family.  Not really sure what it is, it says bantam on the serial tag on the front but that is all I really know.  Most of the rust is surface, the rims are matching, one tire was made in west Germany? After the thumbs up from the family we picked her up today and put her strait to work moving rail road ties.

Any idea what year/model it is?

Picking her up

Didn't even get to park and she was at work

Some new pictures

Edited by rrivera1833 - 18 Apr. 2010 at 6:37am
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 12:10am
Rivera:

What you have there is a very early, IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, 1/4 ton Bantam T3-C (Civilian).  Is there a data plate on the front upper left corner of the trailer?  If you see the little data plate, there must be a serial number on it.

Good find for $300.  I just purchased one myself for $200 from a retired Navy Master Chief who had his in his avocado grove for more than 25 years.  Here is a pic of mine.

Not bad, I think.  The trailer only has surface rust and this trailer has not been on the road for more than 20 years.

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 12:11am
You got that trailer for $300? You lucky dog!
Congrats on the new addition. Is there a SN plate on it?

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
rrivera1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 12:48am
Not sure if you can see it in the picture but it says 655 in the top right  hand corner of the plate.  The right wheel has a tag on it as well but I have not tried to clean it off yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 12:49am

canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 12:58am
Are you planning on restoring this trailer?  Looks like a good candidate to restore.

I plan on restoring mine.  Right now I'm looking for the right wheels for it.  I was told, on this forum, that the wheels I have on there are the wrong kind and so I'm on the lookout for the solid wheels or the ones the CJ2A's came with.

If anyone knows of where I can get my hands on two of these wheels, please let me know.

Thanks!!!...Jr
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 1:28am
Not sure what rims I have
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 1:30am
Originally posted by canorisa canorisa wrote:

Are you planning on restoring this trailer?  Looks like a good candidate to restore.

I plan on restoring mine.  Right now I'm looking for the right wheels for it.  I was told, on this forum, that the wheels I have on there are the wrong kind and so I'm on the lookout for the solid wheels or the ones the CJ2A's came with.

If anyone knows of where I can get my hands on two of these wheels, please let me know.

Thanks!!!...Jr

Would be best left unrestored, as it appears to be in original paint.  Definately needs to be stored inside (out of the weather) to keep it in this condition.  I would refrain from hauling cross ties in her also, or at least do it very carefully.  Maybe find another trailer for hauling debris in, ....cause they don't make those anymore.  Really nice find, & congrats.  If you decide you want to get rid of it I'd  like first dibs.   Really would like one for my early 46.  (and I'm not that far from you either Wink)

Edit...the rims you have are the combat rims (split rims) that were placed on early Bantams as left overs after the war.  The tags on the rims are caution tags, as they can be very dangerous if tire changes are not done correctly...resulting in death.  They are correct for your early trailer.

Edited by ndrtkr - 16 Apr. 2010 at 1:33am
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 2:36am
If you google jeep combat rims you should find a site or two telling you how to dismantle them, restore them, and straighten them. If I can find it I will post a link for ya.. Basically they are a two piece rim with a run flat band inside that holds the tire on the rim in situations where a driver would be forced to run on a flat.  If that band is still in there, any attempt to remove a tire with conventional means will only result in rim damage and heated vocabulary.  Normally the way to dismantle them is to release ALL the air , remove the bolts, and pry the halves apart.  After 60 years of rusting, let all teh air out, sawzall the sidewalls off the rim, and use an air chisel to split the halves and the remaining beads off the halves. DO NOT BRING TO JUST ANY TIRE SHOP...if they haul your rim to  a tire machine to dismount it they are going to ruin it.

Original combats in good shape go for $150 or so to the military guys with 42-45 jeeps, and to knowledgeable early civillian bantam guys as well .

Great trailer... be sure to enter it on Art's database.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 2:41am
and Art can fix you up with a nice repro of the license plate/tail light bracket
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 2:48am
http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131609&p=762277&hilit=combat+rim+repair#p762277
Heres something to get you started on the combat rim. It looks like Tony Norton's excellent article on straightening them has dissappeared off the face of the internet...
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2010 at 3:08am
My plan is to scrape off most of the rust, cover it in rust encapsulator, replace the rims with matching rims and tires like the ones I have, and paint it the same color as I am going to paint my new body.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2010 at 1:08am
Rob,

You have the 7th oldest trailer on the database and I beg you not to destroy it or turn it into a trail rig. There are plenty of M416s or the Canadian M101s if you want that kind of trailer.

Those combat wheels are original to this trailer and you've got a rare piece of history in our hobby.

Go to the web page and look at sn 651 your trailers older brother. Look over your tail gate  for signs of the big stencil and please don't wire wheel before you get a chance to look. http://bantamt3c.com/

Please send me some high resolution pictures of all sides and the gate for the web site and I'll creat you a personal page like the others. 48cj2a@sbcglobal.net

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2010 at 6:38am
A few more pictures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2010 at 6:48am
48-
   I can appreciate how original this trailer is, and I understand I got a lot more than I had bargained for when I picked it up.  I respect the people who want to keep this original and not mess with the historic significance this trailer has.  I bought this trailer because is has a little work to be done to the tailgate to get it strait, and only has a two parts that are rusted through (up front where the bed meets the frame).  I was not aware that it was original paint and rims.  I would love to keep this trailer original but I also need and want a trailer to use, and think this type of trailer goes perfect with my jeep.  I am in the process of negotiating a trade with a member on this site for a newer bantam.  If that trade does not work out I will put it for trade or sale on this site and see if anyone wants to take a shot a preserving it.  I would love to find someone who would trade me for a restored trailer that is not as rare as this one and I would gladly give it up.  If all else fails, I am not going to destroy it.   Just change the rims/tires and paint it.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2010 at 8:43am
phew !!!  ndrtkr......better get that trailer of your shined up Wink
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2010 at 3:16am
Hey - a restored Bantam makes a great trail rig. I guess it depends on how bad the trails are.  We use mine for antelope, deer and elk hunting.

Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2010 at 4:07am
dmey - nice rig
 Post Reply Post Reply