Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Started Teardown On My Bantam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 3:40am
Eddie:

I'm glad to hear that the cheater bar method gave you great success.  That's good to hear.  Did you managed to get the other one installed yet?  Where are you in your build?  Can you post some pictures to see your progress? 

To answer your question, NO, I do not have any gaps any where on the side walls or the floor on my trailer but would love to see pictures of what you are talking about so that I can have a better idea of what you are referring to.

Since you are going to be using your trailer for off road, I would imagine, making it water proof would be a great thing to do.  My trailer is not water proof at all.  I do not intent on taking this trailer off road, so I didn't bother to water proof it.  My one water proof trailer that I have, the M416 1/4 ton is water tight so that's what I have.

I truly don't know how to make the BT3C water tight since it has that tailgate and all.  Maybe someone out there can give you a better idea but I'm afraid it won't be coming from me, my friend, sorry!!!

Oh, on your last question...I did not have the axle powder coated.  I just had it sandblasted and I sprayed it and paint it on my own.  It truly came out looking good, I think.  And NO, I did not replace the wheels studs on mine as they were in good shape.

Hope this helps out, if any.

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2011 at 3:06pm
Urethane seam sealer will fill that floor/wall seam , just make certain you have gotten as much rust in there removed as you can first, prime, and topcoat first too.. A brush works well to get the primer and topcoat in there... I do not know how well the stuff will work under powdercoat tho... If you are going to powdercoat, you might do the sealing afterwards with a good silicone or urethane windshield sealer.

That's really deep water you are planning on crossing.... How does the jeep do on the deep stuff?

Edited by F Bill - 10 Jan. 2011 at 3:07pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

emah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2011 at 8:42am
Hi Joel,
Yes, I did manage to get one on using a 1" by 3ft super cheater bar.  It went on easier but still required my manly muscles.  Now I just have to do the other side then tow it to a welder who is going to help me repair my tailgate and weld on new hidges.  My tailgate is pretty bowed out and sheet metal is broken.  Once that is done, I am going to tear it down, sandblast, powdercoat and paint.  I am thinking about putting on the adventure trailer coupler.  I know it won't be original but for off roading it will be more secure than the fulton coupler.  Just out of curiosity, do you have a gap between the tub walls and the floor?  My tub has a gap that follows the entire floor to tub wall.  Only the parts were the spot welds are a tight fit but everywhere in between the spots there is some small gaps.  I was thinking about filling it in with either bondo or caulking that I saw on a body shop website.  Thoughts on that anyone?
My goal is to make the tub as water tight as possible.  I think I will have to put a rubber seal around the tailgate to further make it water tight.  Sometimes I when we go overlanding we have to cross some deep water and I don't want to flood and wet all my gear.  Think that will work or does anyone have any suggestions.  I am totally open to opinions and suggestion but please don't grill me folks!:)
Did you powder coat the axles?  Replace the wheel studs? 
Talk to you later,
Eddie
1947 Bantam T3C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 11:25pm
Hey Eddie:...did you have any chance installing those shackles yet?  Did you tried the breaker bar and the cheater bar yet?  Let me know and please do post pictures of your build or your progress.  I would love to see how you are coming along.

Thanks,

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 11:38pm
NightOwl:

Thanks so much for your comments.  It sure was a lot of work, time and money but in the end it was all well worth it.  So far I have taken the trailer out a few times from the garage since it has been raining lately down in Southern Cal.  Ya, I know, where is all this rain coming from, right!

Anyways, a buddy and I just recently completed the bearings on it and since then it has been sitting in the garage.  I can't wait to take her out again but I'm afraid that's going to have to wait for a little bit longer.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 1:51pm
Joel,
Just went through your entire post.
You did a wonderful job on the trailer.
Something to be proud of for sure.  
The paint and powder turned out very nicely as others have said.
Great Job and enjoy it!
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 10:15am
Eddie:

Looking forward to meeting you some time.  I had everything powder coated.  The tub and the fenders and the wheels were PC red.  All the bottom parts to include the springs were PC black.  I didn't spare anything.  A small price to pay but it is done!

Let's see, I used my regular breaker bar and I used the cheater bar that I have been mentioning to you.  I believe it was 7 to 12 inches long.  Can't remember the exact measurements right of the back but any metal tubing will do as a cheater bar.  I don't know much about the recommendations you got.  I would recommend that you try the breaker bar and cheater bar method first.  I'm pretty sure that it will work just fine.  Believe me, they will go in a little bit at a time.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
emah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 9:20am
Thanks Joel.  I will definitely hook up with you some time and will post pics too.  After seeing your trailer it motivates me to get it done.  I was thinking about powder coating but haven't decide what parts yet.  Looks like you did the front frame and spring hangers only right and wheels too?
How long of a cheater bar did you use?  I just visited a body shop and the guy recommended to just cut out the middle tube part of the spring shackle and leave it like that.  Or, weld in a wider diameter tube.  Pretty clever I thought but I think I am going to try the cheater method first.  Thanks for all your great tips.  Talk to you soon,
Eddie
1947 Bantam T3C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 9:15am
Eddie:

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!  Don't sweat the shackle installation.  It's not that bad, after I have done it right, lol.  Believe it or not what did the job a heck of a lot easier was the cheater bar.  Any medium to long piece of metal tubing will do and the shackles will go in with some minor effort on your part.  But what really did the trick was having the trailer with her shoes up in the air.  You get the best leverage that way, I think.

The price quoted to you on the sandblasting sounds about right.  But in my case I had the sandblasting and the powder coating all done for less than $700 and that was the entire trailer.  Of course I had to bring it in pieces for them but it was all well worth it.  Are you going to have yours powder coated?

Next time you are passing through Murrieta/Temecula, let me know.  PM me in advance so that I can send you my phone number.  We can hook up so you can see the trailer.  She has been sitting inside my garage since the restoration was finished.  I haven't had the chance to take her out since it has been raining lately.  For some silly reason I don't want to get her wet yet, lol.

Talk back at you laters and post some pictures of your resto when you get a chance ok,

Joel

Edited by canorisa - 05 Jan. 2011 at 9:16am

1940's Bantam T3-C
emah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 11:50pm
Fantastic job Joel!!! it looks amazing!!!  I still have to finish fitting the shackles then tear it down for the sandblasters.  The price seemed fair.  Sight unseen I was quoted about $500.  They will even pick it up for free.  I am not looking forward to busting my knuckles with the shackles...maybe that's why I have been putting it off LOL!!  i will keep you posted. 
Great job documenting every step.  Makes me want to go bust it out now but its raining.  Maybe the next time I past Temecula I can swing by and check out your trailer.

Happy New Year!!
EddieTongue
1947 Bantam T3C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

VERY nice!!
How well does it pull?

Thumbs Up

Longhunter....THANKS!  It actually pulls very nice.  I took it out on Saturday on its maiden voyage just around town and went to see a friend of mine to show it off and at one point I scared myself cause I thought I had lost the trailer.  You don't even feel it while pulling her.  So she pulls very nice and it don't jump around, which is a PLUS.

I still have to add the bows and cover to make the package complete but that will be for another day and OH, I still have to do the bearings, seals, and races on it so don't plan on taking it on the freeway till that's done for sure.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Randy Snyder Randy Snyder wrote:

Looks beautiful!!   Great job!!!

Randy

Randy...THANKS!  It was all labor of love put into it.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Well. Actually to save you the embarrassment of pulling such an unlikeable trailer around I will volunteer to go get it from you and replace it with a fine Harbor Fright trailer. WinkLOL

The powder coat really does look nice.. I'm a little surprised how well it came out! Good Job!

LMBO!!!  Bill I don't think a Harbor Freight trailer will cut it for me SPECIALLY after finishing this trailer, lol.  Even the former owner asked me if he could have it back, lol.  Thanks for the compliments.  I'm also surprised at how well the color came out on this trailer.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by rrivera1833 rrivera1833 wrote:

Looks goooooooood, so jealous, nice work "devil".

LOL, Thanks Sir!  That was just too funny.  But so you know that you too can do the same if you want to spend that much money on it.  I figured it was a once of a life time thing so why not, you know.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 1:01pm
VERY nice!!
How well does it pull?

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2010 at 11:58pm
Looks beautiful!!   Great job!!!

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by canorisa canorisa wrote:

FINISHED PROJECT!!

Okay, You All, here is the finished product.  My Bantam has new shoes today and everything works very well.  I'm very proud of how everything turned out.  Let me know if you like it.  Thanks!!!!

Well. Actually to save you the embarassment of pulling such an unlikeable trailer around I will volunteer to go get it from you and replace it with a fine Harbor Fright trailer. WinkLOL

The powder coat really does look nice.. I'm a little surprised how well it came out! Good Job!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

rrivera1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2010 at 3:05am
Looks goooooooood, so jealous, nice work "devil".
2nd LT Rivera/ SSgt Rivera USMC

48 CJ2A
T3-C Bantam #655
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>