Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Started Teardown On My Bantam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 12:11am
I kept my original fulton on mine and used the newer hardware like the one you posted on the replacement until I find a correct one.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 12:15am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

I kept my original fulton on mine and used the newer hardware like the one you posted on the replacement until I find a correct one.

Say Art...would you be able to post a pic or two or what the coupler looks like now.  I would like to see so that I could do the same thing, if possible.

Thanks,

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 2:35am
Lord Adhsives makes epoxi type products also. Bigest difference is they come tube pre portioned. You use a calk gun with a self mixing tube. Most of your new cars are put togher with adhisives over welding.   Look for a Body Shop Supply Distrubtor or Sign Supply company.  Same goes for a lot of the signs being manufactured.   I put back together a wrought iron fence at my home last month.  Looks a lot better than my welding. 
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 2:57am
Here is before:

Here is what one looks like after (not mine):

Edited by 48cj2a - 04 June 2010 at 3:08am
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 3:56am
Art...I see what you mean now.  I don't think it looks bad at all.  Not correct, I suppose, but not bad after all.  I will see if I give it a shot and post pics after I do it.  Unless I find a suitable replacement for mine.  We'll see.

Thanks Bro!,

Joel 
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 3:59am
Originally posted by P8106jr P8106jr wrote:

Lord Adhsives makes epoxi type products also. Bigest difference is they come tube pre portioned. You use a calk gun with a self mixing tube. Most of your new cars are put togher with adhisives over welding.   Look for a Body Shop Supply Distrubtor or Sign Supply company.  Same goes for a lot of the signs being manufactured.   I put back together a wrought iron fence at my home last month.  Looks a lot better than my welding. 

Jamie...You said you used one of these epoxis at your home fence.  Where did you get it?  How well did it work for you?  Thanks for the tip!

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 3:37pm
Just got my new Model A tail lights I'm going to be using for my trailer once I get there.  They might not be original but they will come close to original.  Haven't decided yet if I'm going to have them powder coat them black or not yet.  I might leave them as they are.  I'll see when I get there.

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2010 at 6:57pm
I'm BACK and getting ready to continue with this project.  The trailer is now ready for blasting and powder coating.  Below are pictures of it loaded and ready to go.

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2010 at 7:04pm
Here are some pics of the tire tubes I purchased from Summit Racing.  The tires are on their way.  I purchased NDCC's 7.00x15 for $89.95 ea.  Not a bad deal, I think.

1940's Bantam T3-C
tappel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tappel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2010 at 9:03pm

Can't wait to see it when you're done!  Thumbs Up

captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2010 at 5:19pm
Likewise, keep'em coming:)
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2010 at 3:58am

I think there is a black version of the taillight out there, for the model A trucks......But I think the rim is still bright metal.

I'd be interested in a cost breakdown on the blast/ powder coat job when you get it back.. It will be nice to have it come back all shiny like Christmas Morning..
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2010 at 4:20am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

I think there is a black version of the taillight out there, for the model A trucks......But I think the rim is still bright metal.

I'd be interested in a cost breakdown on the blast/ powder coat job when you get it back.. It will be nice to have it come back all shiny like Christmas Morning..

Bill:

You are quite right on the "black" Model A tail lights.  They do come in black already but they are quite expensive.  Better like $70 per light.

I will let you know on the breakdown in cost to do the blast/powder coating when I get to it.  Most likely will be sometime next week when the trailer will go in.  I just didn't have time this week but hopefully next week will be it.  I'm going to be very interested myself on the outcome of the powder coating.  No doubt that it will look really good.  The plans are to PC this thing in cherry red to include the rims too.  I'll keep you posted.Tongue

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2010 at 2:36am
MORE PROGRESS!!

Finally TODAY I received my brand new Firestone NDCC 7.00 x 15 tires.  Next...sandblast & powder coating.  Hopefully next week.

Edited by canorisa - 21 Sep. 2010 at 2:37am

1940's Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 10:48pm
Breakdown in price on Sandblast/Powder Coat:

Took the trailer down to the blasters TODAY and here is the breakdown.

Qty: 1  -  Trailer (Tub)
Qty: 2  -  Fenders
Qty: 2  -  Wheels
COLOR:  Cherry Red   -   TOTAL:  $350

Qty: 1  -  Axle
Qty: 2  -  Misc bolts
Sandblast ONLY   -   TOTAL:  $50

Qty: 2  -  Springs
Qty: 2  -  A-frame (bars)
Qty: 1  -  hitch
Qty: 1  -  Misc box (everything else)
COLOR:  Black Cat   -   TOTAL:  $125

PLUS 4% Hazmat + Sales Tax
GRAND TOTAL: $693.41

Well that's what's costing me to get the job done.  What do you guys think?  Am I paying too much or does it sound about right!  I thought it was OK, considering I had so many parts and bolts.  The guy gave me a fair price, I feel.

Has anyone out there ran into problems with the axle after being sandblast?  Just wondering.  Please do let me know.

Thanks!

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
rrivera1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 11:28pm
My school of thought is I hate sending anything to get done if I can buy all the equipment I need and do it myself for less or the same price, and then I have all the equipment and can do it on another project.  That being said, if I didn't have the time, I would have to pay what it costs.  Concerning your price, seems like more than I would pay, but you are getting it sand blasted, primed, and painted, I would say that seems ok.
2nd LT Rivera/ SSgt Rivera USMC

48 CJ2A
T3-C Bantam #655
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2010 at 11:19pm
Robert:

I'm with you in your comment.  I too would love to do it myself but I have reached a point on this built that I rather leave it to the pro's.  Sand blasting and powder coating is just not my thing and I don't have the equipment nor materials to do it.  But I hear what you are saying.  Unfortunately, I was forced to spend the money and have it finished with.  I'm sure it will look great once everything is said and done.  Looking forward in getting the trailer back next week.  Then the real fun will begin to put it all back together Thumbs Up

I will post pics as I continue with the project.  Thanks for the comment though.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2010 at 1:38am
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>